switching back to footslogging sluggas - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

switching back to footslogging sluggas

For years I have relied upon Grax's better off with grots series. It gives the best intro to true ork tactica and cut down that painful learning curve...

One of the worst tactics used against me is when my shoota horde moves six and fires. The opponent deliberately takes wounds from the models closest to the shootas preventing me from completing a charge leaving the boyz in no mans land to get shot and charged at.

There have been times recently when I have just forgone the shot just to ensure that the combat is achieved but this defeats the point of taking shootas over sluggas.

What are peoples opinions on this tactic?

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    136 (x3)

do you not use your shootas in the turns before the charge so you can inflict more casualties before the sluggas are ever in range?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

yeah of course I do
    Thats my point. When my Shootas fire at a unit they are unable to charge because the opponent takes causalties from the front of the unit to ensure the survivors are outside charge range.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    136 (x3)

I guess it is down to which you prefer. I much prefer the flexibility you get with shootas, you don't have to race across the board in order to do any damage.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    34 (x2)

A mix of both can work well. Shootas leading the charge, soften up the enemy with a shoota unit and then charge in with a slugga unit.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    511 (x8)

I'm really glad you like the series I wrote. ^_^

The problem with just taking sluggas and running up the board is the Orks aren't the best at it. Blood Angels Assault Marines, Death company, Wyches, Gaunts near a Tervigon, Genestealers, Bloodletters, Bloodcrushers, Purifiers...the list goes on and on with units that can beat Ork slugga boyz in the assault, even if the Orks get the charge.

Shoota boyz, however, will make mincemeat of these units in the turns before the assault, and when the assault happens, the enemy will probably be whittled down to the point where the shootas can finish them off, as Shoota boyz are still pretty good in the assault.

I'd go with shoota boyz on foot all the way. I only use slugga boyz in trukks, since they probably won't be doing any shooting.
    "Any job worth doing, is worth doing with a powerklaw."
    http://www.librarium-online.com/foru.../mynameisgrax/

+ Reply to Thread