Help with Fluff Question - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Help with Fluff Question

Hey guys, after reading the new GW articles on the Necrons a question came into my mind. There are a few parts that just don't seem to make sense. Now I understand that the new fluff will be that the higher up you go into the hierarchy the more independence the commanders and leaders have..... correct?

However, they would still be considered robots basically enslaved for war.... correct?

Now there is a part where they say that Imotekh (one of the new special characters) is able to calculate and cogitate strategies quicker then any other commander out there. My question arises here. If these Necrons were enslaved 65 million years ago, wouldn't their ideas about the realities of combat have changed? Wouldn't tactics and their enemies in the past 65 million years adapted and changed their tactics that would be more challenging to the Necrons, possibly even something the Necrons can not handle? Or do the Necrons have some sort of AI that is able to adapt to the new warfare that is being waged in the Warhammer Universe in the present time?

Basically what I'm saying is that wouldn't the strategies of the Necrons be outdated at this time, posing a threat to their "all powerful-ness" in the Warhammer Universe? At least in the fluff sense. I'm not any sort of fluff buff and I could be completely wrong in what I'm assuming, the thought just popped into my head and I was wondering if you guys had any thoughts on the matter If this was answered in a codex, or book, or any other source i'd love to hear about it and hopefully this outlining of my theory made sense!

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    54 (x2)

GW fluff has a lot more plot holes than this lol. The entire book "nightbringer" no longer makes any sense with the new fluff.
    Ye Old Necrons (R.I.P.) (7000pts) W52 D5 L9
    New Crons!!! (5000pts) W1 D1 L1
    Blood Angels (2500pts) W4 D0 L1

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    63 (x1)

Just repeat these two words to yourself:

Matt Ward.

That should pretty much explain everything. Sigh, shake your head, and move on.
    House Crocotta - Imperial Guard 4000
    Tomb World Sheol - Necron 2000

Imperial Guard Tactics - The Art of Big Scary Distractions: Part 1 Part 2

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    36 (x1)

Quote Originally Posted by shas_on_u View Post
    GW fluff has a lot more plot holes than this lol. The entire book "nightbringer" no longer makes any sense with the new fluff.
    Actually having just read todays blog on the Gw website the plot of nightbringer is still viable. To quote the section (The C'tan were once mighty star-gods, but after the War in Heaven many of them (but not all) were shattered into Shards by their Necron vassals)
    Ask not the ruleboys a question for they shall give you three answers each true and terrifying to behold

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

well, assuming:
    1) the necrons are all robots. (I will never understand Matt Ward's statement that they aren't. don't believe me? look at the interview on the 31st..or 28th)
    2) all necrons are connected to one another (makes sense right?)
    3) when established, this communal link is accessable to every necron..

Then Imotehk would probably use this link to access the various battles and encounters of the necrons and be able to quickly formulate tactics against them.

There is a rather recent concept in computer science called machine learning. The idea is instead of writing out every rule for a computer, a programmer simply gives the computer many examples of something and program the machine to search for patterns (for a common example think of how letter-sorting machines read hand-written addresses). I don't think it is much of a stretch to think that this concept was somehow furthered and perfected in the future. Combining this with assuming that the necrons are numerous, since they did conquer the entire galaxy, then the amount of examples available would mean the necrons would quickly adapt to the gap in tactics.

+ Reply to Thread