Tesla Carbines vs Gauss Blasters - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    My backpack has JETS! Ravendove's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    545 (x8)

Tesla Carbines vs Gauss Blasters

What will you be equipping your Immortals with? While I really like the idea of the Tesla Carbines, in reality I wonder how effective they would really be. The advantage of course is that they can move and still fire 24", but as soon as the enemy gets to within 12" the Gauss Blasters come out on top. Add to that a Phaeron, and suddenly those Immortals are Relentless.

That said, those Tesla Carbines do look a lot nicer...

2. Thankspilsboy thanked for this post.
    Likepilsboy liked this post.
  3. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I believe lists are going to be a combination of both honestly, you want the Tesla for the advancing units because they can eliminate the front line infantry efficiently and you want the Gauss for the objective holding units because they can take care of vehicles (sort of).

I like the idea of Tesla giving me 13 shots (roughly) for a unit of 10 Immortals but I hate not having an AP value.

Both weapons are good depending on how you want to use them, but I think a balance between both is whats going to be needed.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    61 (x2)

I think I will be going with Tesla Coils since I think I'll be getting plenty of Gauss from my warriors, though I can also see myself getting a second squad with Gauss Blasters, especially at higher points.
    The enemy's gate is down

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    94 (x1)

I have to say I'll probably go with Tesla Carbines for the same reasons above.

First, I will have plenty of Gauss coming from Warriors and other things, like the Ghost Ark or Doomsday Ark. We also have other ways to drop vehicles, from Warscythes to Scarabs to the Triarch Stalker.

Second, we may lose AP but we will gain higher chances of more automatic hits. Not to mention, the majority of what we go up against (MEQs) will get a save whether we're firing Gauss or Tesla.
    • Gauss Blasters means you can't move and will only do ~3.3 wounds (savable by MEQ) @ 24"
    • Tesla Carbines means you can move and will do ~5.6 wounds (savable by MEQ) @ 24".

Even at close range, the Gauss Blasters are doing a mere ~1.1 extra wound; I'll take the mobility while hitting at 24" anytime.

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    720 (x8)

Tesla all the way. Even against GEQ the Tesla weapon does approximately 3,7 wounds (with 5+ save factored in) at 24", so the only place where Gauss is better than Tesla is against GEQ at less than 12"... At which point you can just shoot Tesla and assault the pesky Guards away.
    Revenant Moon Necrons: (W/L/D) 0/1/0 (6th edition: 13/2/2)(5th edition: 14/6/4)(3rd edition Codex: 16/4/7)
    XIX Legion: (W/L/D) 0/0/0 (5th edition: 14/12/2)(5th edition Codex: 4/3/0)
    Black Legion: (W/L/D) 1/0/0 (6th edition: 2/3/0)
    Something Wicked... Reikwald Beastmen: (W/L/D) 10/4/1

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well something that you can do is put a unit of ten immortals with tesla carbines in a ghost ark, then you can fire the carbines to get a massive nuber of shots then blast away the gauss array broadside
    Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to
    speak out and remove all doubt.
    Abraham Lincoln, 1809-1865

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

54 (x2)

Quote Originally Posted by Polaria View Post
    Tesla all the way. Even against GEQ the Tesla weapon does approximately 3,7 wounds (with 5+ save factored in) at 24", so the only place where Gauss is better than Tesla is against GEQ at less than 12"... At which point you can just shoot Tesla and assault the pesky Guards away.
    The unfortunate reality is that we can out-shoot infantry regardless of how we build are army. No matter what we pick necrons can just ROLF over infantry in a fire-fight. Therefore the AP value, and gauss allow us to deal with vehicles. Which makes taking gauss blasters the better option as they are slightly worse V infantry at long ranges, but they are just infinitely better against vehicles.
    Ye Old Necrons (R.I.P.) (7000pts) W52 D5 L9
    New Crons!!! (5000pts) W1 D1 L1
    Blood Angels (2500pts) W4 D0 L1

My backpack has JETS! Ravendove's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    545 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by Longshadow7 View Post
    Well something that you can do is put a unit of ten immortals with tesla carbines in a ghost ark, then you can fire the carbines to get a massive nuber of shots then blast away the gauss array broadside
    Unfortunately not, you can't transport anything in a Ghost Ark except Warriors, Lords, Overlords and Crypteks attached to Warriors.

Community Leader Roboute Guilliman's Avatar
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

553 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by shas_on_u View Post
    The unfortunate reality is that we can out-shoot infantry regardless of how we build are army. No matter what we pick necrons can just ROLF over infantry in a fire-fight. Therefore the AP value, and gauss allow us to deal with vehicles. Which makes taking gauss blasters the better option as they are slightly worse V infantry at long ranges, but they are just infinitely better against vehicles.
    definately, gauss can get glancing hits on anything. telsa is only marginably better than gauss against infantry

10 telsa carbines averages 10 hits (50% chance of 3-5 roll, and 16.6% chance of 6. (10 x .5) + 3(10 x .166))

against T4, 10 hits is 6.6 wounds

telsa against 6+ = 5.5 dead
    gauss against 6+ = 4.4 dead

telsa against 5+ = 4.4 dead
    gauss against 5+ = 4.4 dead

telsa against 4+ = 3.3 dead
    gauss against 4+ = 4.4 dead

telsa against 3+ = 2.2 dead
    gauss against 3+ = 1.5 dead

telsa against 2+ = 1.1 dead
    gauss against 2+ = 0.7 dead

against 2+,3+ and 6+, telsa is better.
    so considering how many marines there are out there, I would personally take a telsa unit

keep in mind telsa can potentially get A LOT more hits, and worste case only gets the same amount of hits as gauss. i think such unpredictable results makes for a more entertaining game

Edit - mind you, if you are rapid firing, telsa has nothing on gauss
    Last edited by Roboute Guilliman; November 7th, 2011 at 02:00.

12. Thankspilsboy thanked for this post.
    Likepilsboy liked this post.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

56 (x2)

I would imagine that the extra hits a tesla unit generates would overcome the disadvantage of ap -, against vehicles that is, since more hits translate into more potential glances and pens. Then again I'm no mathemagician, so it'd be nice to see someone run the numbers on this.
    +++XENOS SPOTTED+++ thrilling battles within the Vitorina subsector: http://xenosspotted.blogspot.com/

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast