A Quick Look Into The New Necrons - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    30 (x1)

A Quick Look Into The New Necrons

I saw a quick look at the Necron Codex today and I'm quite happy to be a DE player.

I don't see Necrons being the big problem for DE like Mech IG or Fortitude Heavy GK.

All in all a couple of big things I noticed.

Monolith got nerfed by losing it's ability to avoid melta and lance.
    Necrons still point heavy so they shouldn't be able to out shoot our Venom Spam lists like IG. I think if we pop their transports ships which repair the guys then kill them with our 36 inch SC they really wont have much of a chance.

Raiders with Torment Grenade Launchers may help us in running enemies off the board since Necrons won't be doing well in CC. Everything is pretty much I2 except one elite (I think wraiths) that has a special weapon that makes enemies I1 This may be a good thing for DE lists that favor wyches and CC.

They had one elite that looked like a spider thing that costs 150 points that comes with a heat/death ray thing. Basically S8 AP1 Melta Heavy 2 that looked nasty. Good thing only 11 armor.

Most everything had 11 armor except the monolyth at 14.
    The doomsday ship (S9 AP1 Large blast) was a heavy costing 175 points. This is significantly high point cost for something that goes down easily

Lots of Necrons stuff rebuilds on 5+ or 4+ with Orbs. Vehicles get something very similar to fortitude that allows them to ignore shaken or stunned.
    This made me think the Haywire blasters I have been so fond of are getting less useful now that more armies such as GK and Necrons ignore shaken/stunned. I guess we will be sticking with DL, Heat Lances, and Blasters.

Let me know if you see any game breakers I missed.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    54 (x2)

Seen some of the rules, it looks like a very nice army, I agree they don't really look troublesome for us.
    I admit their new shooting weapons are amazing, though they really don't have enough of them to be problematic to our skimmers.

I do think they will cause GK issues though, GK is a small elite army and with the weapons Necron have now i'm of the opinion they will tear GK a new one.
    necron weapons now favour killing more elite armies, or more to the point space marines, I think they will their work cut out for them though against eldar, DE, orks and nids.
    If you're always worried about crushing the ants beneath you...you won't be able to walk.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    452 (x8)

Yeah i'm not too worried about Necrons, the annihilation barge is pretty good though. For less than 100 points it gets 6 shots, some S6 some S7 and for each roll of a 6 to hit they get an additional 2 auto hits. One turn this hit one of my raiders 8 times!

Also while their armour may be 11 on pretty well everything they have a rule that makes it 13 until you score 1 penatrating hit.

In my game against them yesterday I had to send 9 lance shots at the annihilation barge before I got my first damage result (he didnt even need cover) so that thing got to shoot some of my stuff up, but the first lance I directed at his monolith wrecked the thing!

Also their scarabs are nasty, they are now easts not jetbikes but each hit (not glance/pen) on a vehicle has a 1/2 chance of lowering that vehicles armour (all facings) by 1 perminantly, this can bring it below 10 and if it reaches 0 your vehicle is dead.

Finally their warscythes dont ignore invul saves anymore, good news for witches.

Their main transport (forget its name) shouldnt be too much of a problem, it costs more than a ravager for a few broadsides of gauss flayers and only mediocre speed, yes it can repair necron warriors nearby but they shouldt have too many of these so lance away.

Destroyers lost a shot and now arent jetbikes, they just lost their best objective contesters and some anti raider firepower.

Necrons are still easy to sweep in assault, the warriors are easier to kill and if they fall back they dont get to repair.
    IG Best Gen 1st overall of 10 DE 4th overall of 6
    Eldar 3rd Overall/Best General of 26--2nd Overall/Best General of 7--1st Overall/Best General of 11

Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    430 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by mrvegas View Post
    Most everything had 11 armor except the monolyth at 14.
    Most of them, including that melta spider and doomsdak ark, are AV13 until you score a penetrating (not glancing) hit. Some disagreement over how that works with lances but (subject to FAQ) expect to need a 6 to do anything vehicle won't shake off with the living metal rule.

Let me know if you see any game breakers I missed.
    The stormlord could be interesting. Next time you play a game roll a number of D6s equal to the number of units you have on the table for the first 3-4 turns. Any 6s would have resulted in d6 S8 AP5 hits to the unit(s) in question - goodbye raider, so long grotesques.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    30 (x1)

Can anyone please ellaborate on the 13 vehicle armor and the living metal rule. I don't think I had the chance to fully understand that rule and how it goes against our lances, blasters, and haywire grenades
    Last edited by mrvegas; November 6th, 2011 at 17:50.

Slave to the flesh The_Outsider's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    251 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by mrvegas View Post
    Can anyone please ellaborate on the 13 vehicle armor and the living metal rule. I don't think I had the chance to fully understand that rule and how it goes against our lances, blasters, and haywire grenades
    Despite some people seemingly pulling the idea out of their arse that quantum shielding ignores lance somehow, all quantum shielding does is provide +2 AV until the vehicle is penetrated, as such lance would work normally (i.e they'd be AV12 until penetrated, then they revert to AV11).

There is literally no rules basis for the other view other than "I think it should work this way and now it does!".

-------------

I personally do not see necrons being anything new for DE - both armies have some interesting abilities that make them good versus each other, but probably the most crucial aspect is DE have superior speed and longer range on their weaponry. This combined with DE weapons coming in two main flavours: poison and "lol u ded sucka" I can see the necrons having to potentially sacrifice their typical impenetrable battle line to chase DE down.

Plus a lot of the fast necron stuff is damn costly - the ravager still stands head and shoulders above everything else for mobile heavy weaponry. I do have concerns about handling wraiths now they have two wounds, a unit of 6 is going to absorb a lot of punishment and they will slice and dice most DE stuff simply through S6.

I do like the stormlord's night fight ability (not the lightning, that is potentially hardcore), if only because DE don't care about night fight anywhere near as much as it hurts the necron forces. Hmm that does make me think harlequins could be a nice counter, not just for veil of tears but as they ignore terrain they can't get shafted by a couple abilities that make difficult terrain also dangerous.
    Last edited by The_Outsider; November 6th, 2011 at 23:13.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    286 (x5)

Quote Originally Posted by The_Outsider View Post
    Despite some people seemingly pulling the idea out of their arse that quantum shielding ignores lance somehow, all quantum shielding does is provide +2 AV until the vehicle is penetrated, as such lance would work normally (i.e they'd be AV12 until penetrated, then they revert to AV11).

There is literally no rules basis for the other view other than "I think it should work this way and now it does!".

agreed

I do like the stormlord's night fight ability (not the lightning, that is potentially hardcore), if only because DE don't care about night fight anywhere near as much as it hurts the necron forces. Hmm that does make me think harlequins could be a nice counter, not just for veil of tears but as they ignore terrain they can't get shafted by a couple abilities that make difficult terrain also dangerous.
    you, sir, are thinking on the same wave-length as me! a 10-strong Harlie Squad will wipe out ANY opposistion - if everyone has Kisses, the no armour saves if it rends. a Shadowseer would protect the squad for longer than without

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    225 (x6)

A quick question:

Do scarabs have that rebuilding protocol?

How does the necron transports help rebuild necrons?

And the lightning from the Stormlord - does it have a range or is it one of those unlimited range deals?

Would that lightning hit the Harleys (does it ignore the Veil of Tears?).

Thanks for the help!
    "On a hunch, I melted them down and inhaled the fumes and read the dark eldar codex again, AND FOUND A BUNCH OF NEW RULES HIDDEN BEHIND THE OTHER WORDS..." [Gardeth on modelling & interpreting the DE Codex]

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Wyches are looking better than Warriors every single day.
    Stab it, slash it, bite, tank shock and smash it. If that fails, shoot it.

Slave to the flesh The_Outsider's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    251 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by KwiKwag View Post
    A quick question:

Do scarabs have that rebuilding protocol?
    No

How does the necron transports help rebuild necrons?
    The ghost ark adds D3 necron warriors to a unit (there is a tad more to the rule, but thats the basics of it). This ability only works with warriors.

And the lightning from the Stormlord - does it have a range or is it one of those unlimited range deals?
    It just happens, you simply roll to see if a unit is hit.

Would that lightning hit the Harleys (does it ignore the Veil of Tears?).
    Yes.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast