Replacing your Destroyers! - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Replacing your Destroyers!

Iv Skimmed through most of the codex now, happy with some changes, happy with some balancing issues that the old book had, but the Fast section of the book has me scratching my head a little bit. i'm speaking specifically of destroyers. Are they even worth using anymore? Im finding more negatives then positives with this unit right now,

The Pros are as follows... Heavy Gauss is now an upgrade for a reasonable price instead of taking up a heavy slot, Preferred enemy everything (which is still kind of useless-Give me Twinlinked), a reasonable AP Value.

The Cons, Gauss Cannons got a HUGE downgrade with a decrease in str by 1, 1 less shot and a range that mirrors those of the lesser Guass Flayer. did I mention no more 24" movement? oh and now terrain is a problem for them.

These are no longer the Top notch unit they used to be and after paying 25$ a head I'm a little disappointed to say the least. I don't even think these guys will make any lists of mine at this point at least no more then a single squad anyway. With better shooting in every other category in the book I think destroyers are at the very least obsolete.

So it would appear that a new contender has risen to the occasion, The Canoptek Wraiths. Reasons why I think the Wraiths are far superior to the Destroyers...

First off, although the speed is the same, it ignores terrain. Crucial for a fast attack unit that is primarily used to intercept other units.
    It comes with rending 6+, I personally believe that all Gauss weapons should have come with rending...(with an added cost of course)
    A 3+ Invulnerable save. WHAT? but wait it gets better......
    Better upgrades available. Everything from granting the Canoptek Wraiths Initiative 10 in combat with the Whip Coils (kind of) to shooting weapons that Exile random enemy models after a Strength test is failed with the appropriately named Transdimensional Beamer (imagine shooting a character thats not independent and that character makes one bad role its like Jaws but you get more then one!) and a pistol that has the strength to put down even the toughest of foes, the Partical caster.
    It comes with a reasonable stat line, nothing special but exceptional for the point cost of the base model,
    But here is the "Coupe de Grace"
    They come with 2 Wounds a piece, up to 6 in a unit and YOU CAN CUSTOMIZE EACH ONE TO ALLOCATE WOUNDS! (well sort of!) You can only give them a single piece of gear each and only 3 types are available, but in a unit of 6 your still allocating what you want where you want to go but units of 4 is where these guys are going to thrive.

If you were to Maximise the unit to its full potential (4 in a unit) it would cost you around 170 points.

I also forgot to mention you can still throw in independent Characters into the unit. (the destroyer lord is probably the only one worth putting in because the rest would slow the unit down but thats still a nice little bonus!)

Okay, so I'v covered all the awesome stuff about the unit, but what about the negatives?

Well, to start it off they can't repair, but at 2 wounds, wound allocation and an invulnerable save! That would be to much to ask.

They can't do anything to vehicles with armour higher then 12. But that not what these guys are for anyway.

So what is the REAL drawback?.... No models available! So unless your like me and have a few of the old wraiths from the last edition still handy you might be out of luck until you either make your own or GW releases the models with the second wave.

So to sum this up we have a Unit that is cheaper in cost, more diverse and agile on the field, and is guaranteed to survive longer then its lesser counterpart!

But thats enough from me! I'd like to hear everyone else's input on this!

Agree? Disagree? Why? Why not? If you have an opinion or a statement? Correction? Comment!

Cheers!

Klondiker

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

some valid points you have there mate!
    I have allways been a destroyer whore myself, so I was kind of sad to see the new destroyer changes. But as you have described, the new wraith might be my new favorites. Never been a huge fan of necron CC but it looks like I might have to reconsider my playstyle here. gonna be fun

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Destoyers as a whole seriously got hit hard by the new necron codex. The wraiths are pretty much the best fast attack choice in the necron army. The preferred enemy rule is useless since destroyers are better shooting than in close combat. the s5 ap3 is nothing to scoff at though, since a squad of 5 of them lay down some hurt on a squad. The heavy destroyer isn't much better, especially for its price tag.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Destroyers are still better than tomb blades in any case, they get a second shot for twice the price, but have a 3+ save and have ap3 as opposed to ap-, and can move and shoot which the tomb blasters cant. and those upgrades are pretty pricey for the tomb blades. Also, come sixth edition where destroyers preferred enemy gets re-rolls to hit in shooting as well, a squad of 5 will throw out on average 8.88 shots. Right now they look like perfect long fangs killers or equivalent.

but yeah Scarabs seem like the worlds best anti-tank, lychguard are our terminator equivalents, but i've never fielded wraiths before so don't really know what their roll is.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    102 (x5)

Your comment about wraiths useless on anything AV12 or higher, you forgot Rending is +d3, which can TOTAL S6+d6 Pen+d3 rend, that's 15 possible and a rend on a 6 is AUTO pen even if just 1 on the d3 for AV12!
    "There is only do, or do not. There is no try." - Yoda

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Dark Trainer View Post
    Your comment about wraiths useless on anything AV12 or higher, you forgot Rending is +d3, which can TOTAL S6+d6 Pen+d3 rend, that's 15 possible and a rend on a 6 is AUTO pen even if just 1 on the d3 for AV12!
    You are absolutely 100% correct Sir, Rep!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    61 (x2)

Well, sure you won't be doing much to land raiders and monoliths, but almost every other vehicle has rear armor 10 or 11. And if scarabs get in first, well....
    The enemy's gate is down

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    720 (x8)

Destroyers aren't bad or obsolete. Their role has just changed. Instead of being the end-all solution to all our needs they are now our best MEQ killer. Take a few groupsof 3-5. Reserve them. Take a C'tan to make difficult terrain dangerous to keep MEQ out of terrain. Deep Strike the Destroyers and see a whole Purifier squad vanish with each volley with no saves allowed.
    Revenant Moon Necrons: (W/L/D) 0/1/0 (6th edition: 13/2/2)(5th edition: 14/6/4)(3rd edition Codex: 16/4/7)
    XIX Legion: (W/L/D) 0/0/0 (5th edition: 14/12/2)(5th edition Codex: 4/3/0)
    Black Legion: (W/L/D) 1/0/0 (6th edition: 2/3/0)
    Something Wicked... Reikwald Beastmen: (W/L/D) 10/4/1

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

56 (x2)

I heartily concur, Polaria, seems to me that with the new codex Destroyers have been repositioned to the role of MEQ-killer. Yeah they might've lost a point of str and a shot, but AP3 is huge. Plus, the range isn't really that important since you can just deep strike them wherever they need to be, and the strength is still high enough to threaten light vehicles in a pinch.

The thing is, they kinda had to change the destroyers' role in our army, since they've introduced so many new units, whose roles would've overlapped with the destroyers' old role. I think someone on Dakka ran the numbers re: old destroys vs. new destroyers, and unsurprisingly against MEQ the new ones far outshone the old. You might counter that that's not really fair, since against 4+ armour and worse the old ones are better, but really that's only for 4+ armour, since we have so much ap 5 in our army, negating 5+ armour isn't a problem at all.

...did what I said make sense? Reading it back, it seems kinda all over the place, oh well.
    +++XENOS SPOTTED+++ thrilling battles within the Vitorina subsector: http://xenosspotted.blogspot.com/

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

54 (x2)

Wraiths are brutal, heavy destroyers are pretty damn nasty too. But plain destroyers are complete trash.
    Ye Old Necrons (R.I.P.) (7000pts) W52 D5 L9
    New Crons!!! (5000pts) W1 D1 L1
    Blood Angels (2500pts) W4 D0 L1

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast