So, which units to NEVER take and which to ALWAYS take? - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    54 (x2)

So, which units to NEVER take and which to ALWAYS take?

So far after a few games I'm seeing this:

ALWAYS take:

Wraiths &/or Scarabs (all 3 fast filled at anything above 500pts with these)
    Immortals w Gauss Blasters (over warriors in MOST cases)
    Cryteks with Destruction & solar pulse(s)

NEVER take:

Ghost arks (sooooooo squishy, slow, too many points, immortals > warriors most of the time)
    Normal Destroyers
    Any fast attack units other than wraiths &/or scarabs.

EDIT: After looking at things again and re-reading rules.

Last edited by shas_on_u; November 6th, 2011 at 22:04.
    Ye Old Necrons (R.I.P.) (7000pts) W52 D5 L9
    New Crons!!! (5000pts) W1 D1 L1
    Blood Angels (2500pts) W4 D0 L1

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    172 (x7)

I spent most of yesterday getting alot of the new stuff together and have played a couple games (got halfway through a third, so I am not really set in stone yet as to what is good or not). However I have been finding the two units of warriors in ghost arks that I use to be extremely durable. The AV13 and living metal of the Arks has been really nice as well as its repair abilities for the warriors. I have been really enjoying floating up to an enemy unit, disembarking my warrior squad and then unleashing 30 gauss flayer shots into units and vehicles.

I am still up in the air on the Annihilation Barges. They have either been doing incredible with me rolling lots of 6's to hit, or they have been mediocre at best. I have found them to be doing quite nicely in conjunction with scarabs however.

Immortals with either weapon have been quite nice

As already stated, I have been enjoying scarabs as well.

I have gotta say though, that I have really been enjoying my Overlord with Warscythe on his command barge. He has been doing just as well as I had hoped with ripping open vehicles and using the barge's speed to support where he is needed most.
    Last edited by Phaeron Typhoon; November 6th, 2011 at 21:11.
    "I am the architect of fate!"

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

54 (x2)

I play against massive levels of missle launcher and auto-cannon fire... so anything that isn't AV14 will die in either the first, or the second turn. The open-topped is just their downfall. I am yet to see how effective doom barges are, I have been incredibly unlucky with them so far, missing my shots and getting destroyed by a missle or autocannon straight away. What armies have you played against?

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    720 (x8)

There is one thing which I don't get: Destroyers.

In old codex times Destroyers were a must-buy at X points cost. Now they are killier against 50% of our opponents (MEQs) for the cost of X-10 points and they are crap?

In old codex time Heavy Destroyers were a never-buy at Z points cost. Now they are the same with Z-5 points cost and they are must-buy?

I have to say I think both are pretty good at current codex. Destroyers because they are both additional (and cheap) anti-MEQ and ablative wounds for Heavy Destroyers which are our lascannons. Expensive lascannons, yes, but still lascannons.
    Revenant Moon Necrons: (W/L/D) 0/1/0 (6th edition: 13/2/2)(5th edition: 14/6/4)(3rd edition Codex: 16/4/7)
    XIX Legion: (W/L/D) 0/0/0 (5th edition: 14/12/2)(5th edition Codex: 4/3/0)
    Black Legion: (W/L/D) 1/0/0 (6th edition: 2/3/0)
    Something Wicked... Reikwald Beastmen: (W/L/D) 10/4/1

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

172 (x7)

I have played a game against Orks, a game against Space Wolves, and half a game against a fellow necron player. (didn't finish because it was rediculous how many Reanimation Protocol rolls we were both successfully making.) Solar Pulse really came in handy against the long fangs.

on that note, crypteks are also amazing.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

54 (x2)

Quote Originally Posted by Polaria View Post
    There is one thing which I don't get: Destroyers.

In old codex times Destroyers were a must-buy at X points cost. Now they are killier against 50% of our opponents (MEQs) for the cost of X-10 points and they are crap?

In old codex time Heavy Destroyers were a never-buy at Z points cost. Now they are the same with Z-5 points cost and they are must-buy?

I have to say I think both are pretty good at current codex. Destroyers because they are both additional (and cheap) anti-MEQ and ablative wounds for Heavy Destroyers which are our lascannons. Expensive lascannons, yes, but still lascannons.
    We have much better ways of dealing with MEQs, our basic troops can melt through them. When you bear into mind how many transports there are, and how much cover there is they are actually WORSE at shooting than everything else. Before the S6 allowed them to deal with transports, and the high number of shots and high strength made them effective regardless of cover or not. Heavy destroyers would have been a must buy if I had read the preferred enemy rules right -_-.

The Dvl in Pale Moonlight danceman's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    121 (x3)

Quote Originally Posted by shas_on_u View Post
    Annihilation Barges (they have no targets, I mean it, not enough shots for infantry, and Ap- prevents anti-vehicle)
    Hah, I'm getting 2 of these, possibly even 3. They are so cheap. Downright punishes IG parking lots and transport spam. Their purpose isn't to blow them up but to work as stunlocking. Stationary tank + Scarabs equals no more tanks. Essentially, our version of DE haywire blasters(but better). What's not to love about scarabs? So that is two units I will take multiples of. 2 Anni-barges + 2 x 5-8 scarabs depending on points level. The 3rd slot, you guessed it, Wraiths. For the same reason as a scarabs I am also using triach praetorians with entropy setup.

I don't see much reason to take normal warriors though. Extra strength and better AP of the blasters is just better however you twist and turn it. Against necrons who favour warriors, well, you'll deny him his saves while having a 3+ save yourself. Not to mention producing many more wounds. In addition to this, hurt vehicles more reliably. Also, my troops are called Immortals. Pffft, have you warriors but that's now I roll.

For now though. Lots of proxy units in my army...
    ""What's the matter? Don't ya like clowns? Don't we make ya laugh?" - Captain Spaulding.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    102 (x5)

Quote Originally Posted by The Humanoid Typhoon View Post
    The AV13 and living metal of the Arks has been really nice as well as its repair abilities for the warriors. I have been really enjoying floating up to an enemy unit, disembarking my warrior squad and then unleashing 30 gauss flayer shots into units and vehicles.
    You realize you can stay inside the ghost ark and shoot all of your flayer shots AND the broadside of the Ark too, right? It's open topped so all your troops can shoot!
    "There is only do, or do not. There is no try." - Yoda

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

172 (x7)

even if I move at cruising with the ark?

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

54 (x2)

Quote Originally Posted by danceman View Post
    Hah, I'm getting 2 of these, possibly even 3. They are so cheap. Downright punishes IG parking lots and transport spam. Their purpose isn't to blow them up but to work as stunlocking. Stationary tank + Scarabs equals no more tanks. Essentially, our version of DE haywire blasters(but better). What's not to love about scarabs? So that is two units I will take multiples of. 2 Anni-barges + 2 x 5-8 scarabs depending on points level. The 3rd slot, you guessed it, Wraiths. For the same reason as a scarabs I am also using triach praetorians with entropy setup.

I don't see much reason to take normal warriors though. Extra strength and better AP of the blasters is just better however you twist and turn it. Against necrons who favour warriors, well, you'll deny him his saves while having a 3+ save yourself. Not to mention producing many more wounds. In addition to this, hurt vehicles more reliably. Also, my troops are called Immortals. Pffft, have you warriors but that's now I roll.

For now though. Lots of proxy units in my army...

Using them to stun-lock sounds fun... especially when it gives you the 1/6 chance to ark off and stun something else each turn. Will have to test that. Wraiths I'm very happy with. Well, I can buy 3 annihilation barges after selling my 15 destroyers -_-. Scarabs and wraiths it is for fast-attack. How are tomb spyders btw guys? With the weapon options allocation tricks seems even more fun... its just elites that I'm finding hard to find a reason to ever buy. And I'm with you on immortals, after testing gauss blasters seem better than tesla carbines aswell.

Quote Originally Posted by The Humanoid Typhoon View Post
    even if I move at cruising with the ark?
    You can fire "as if moving"... so yes, although you won't be able to add in the side's firepower with this... unfortunately however your ghost ark will be dead by like... turn 2 at most... so this is all hypothetical anyway.
    Last edited by shas_on_u; November 6th, 2011 at 22:06.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast