Help against IG? - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Help against IG?

I have been in the hobby for a year now and I play regularly at the my lgs, I have faced many armies but I have always had trouble with one race in particular... IG. There are only a few IG players in my lgs and the one thing they always seem to bring are basilisks and lascannon teams, I am fully aware that guard can bring much worse things to the table but twin-linked lascannons and basilisks always seem to decimate my army by turn 2 and when/if I reach the guard lines I always have problems breaking through the Leman walls.

I was simply wondering if anyone has any tips, units and or mindsets I should have when facing the hammer of the Emperor.

(Please excuse my grammar as English is not my first language).

Thank you for your time.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    452 (x8)

It looks like you're facing gunline guard, against them i'd suggest taking a unit of kommandos led by snikrot, come on behind your opponent and multi charge his tanks and infantry, also a few outflanking deffkoptas (1 per unit, possibly with a rokkit launcha or buzz saw) can come on from the sides and tie up his units or damage vehiclesgiving your army some more time to get in the fight.

Lootas and big meks with KFFs are a great choice for almost all ork armies, and they can help get your guys across the field by either destroying IG tanks or giving your guys some cover.

And remember to multi charge whenever possible, a unit of orks is more than a match for a squad of guard.
    IG Best Gen 1st overall of 10 DE 4th overall of 6
    Eldar 3rd Overall/Best General of 26--2nd Overall/Best General of 7--1st Overall/Best General of 11

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thank you for the fast reply, I will be sure to keep that in mind next time I face guard.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    34 (x2)

Andy, what units/army do you play?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I normally play at 1500 points.
    I use a green tide of 90 ork boyz (all with pk, bp nobs), a 10 strong loota squad, a small squad of kombi skorcha Manz in a BW (armour plates, grot riggers, big shoota, and a deff rolla), a warboss (inside in a snikrot squad of kommandos), 4 kans (grot zookas, and 2 skorchas) and a big mek with kustom force field (in the bw).

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    452 (x8)

You have killa kanz with no KFF, a total of 4 light vehicles and 1 heavy, most shooting armies will easily be able to blow those away while pouring shots into your infantry. You generally want to spam vehicles or take none at all.

If you dropped the kanz Manz and battlewagon You could get another squad of lootas, an outflanking deffkopta or two and another unit of boyz or a few units od grotz to provide cover or objective holders, remember that a large number of grotz can still beat guard in combat, especially if they shoot grot blastas on the way in.
    IG Best Gen 1st overall of 10 DE 4th overall of 6
    Eldar 3rd Overall/Best General of 26--2nd Overall/Best General of 7--1st Overall/Best General of 11

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sorry I forgot to mention my mek does indeed have a KFF, but thanks for the advice. I will try a modified list using the advice you gave me, I have another game facing IG this friday so I will be sure to post how it goes.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    34 (x2)

I'd have to generally agree with Kevin on this one. Against a non-shooty opponent a hybrid foot/mech force like you're describing can work well, but the Imperial Guard have too much anti-tank firepower. Either devote your entire force to vehicles and dreds or go with all units without armor value. A bit cheesy, but the standard min/max strategy is effective.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I had exactly the same problems

I used to use
    snikrot and a nob biker squad with painboy and pklaw and also a biker boss with pklaw toogether with a kan wall footslogger

You move the bikes with boss fast first turn giving them 3++ and then split the boss off and you can hit two separate tanks turn 2 by which time snikrot shoulda arrived and the kan wall should be threatening.

Your opponent will either ignore th bikers or get so scared of em that the over target them

only problem is snikrot NEEDS to be there turn 2. without it things go down hill fast

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    34 (x2)

Good plan, fridge. Just watch out for those big templates on your bikers.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast