Is this possible? - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    51 (x1)

Is this possible?

I was reading through the codex and was wondering if this was possible and legal rules wise. Here goes:

I take a C'tan shard with Writhing Worldscape, difficult terrain becomes dangerous terrain for your opponent to move through.

Now if I take Orikan the Diviner, his Temporal Snares makes any of your enemy units' move as if in difficult terrain.

Also, if I use the Cryptek's Tremor Stave, which causes event units hit by it to move as if in difficult terrain.

My thoughts are this: does Writhing Worldscape turn both of these instances into dangerous terrain tests as well?

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Now w/ English voice-over LastDinosaur's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

61 (x1)

I would think so, yes.

Very gimmicky, but probably very effective aswell.

A quick FaQ would be nice though.. :x

Community Leader Roboute Guilliman's Avatar
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    553 (x8)

no, because they are not in difficult terrain, they are just moving like someone who is in difficult terrain

Now w/ English voice-over LastDinosaur's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

61 (x1)

'Whilst the C'tan Shard is on the battlefield, all difficult terrain is also dangerous for the enemy.'

'During the first game turn, all enemy units that move count as moving through difficult terrain.'

'All enemy units hit by a weapon with the Quake type treat open ground as difficult terrain during their next Movement phase.'

Could see it go either way, don't see why it wouldn't work strict RaW-wise though - enemy treats open as difficult terrain, but all difficult terrain is dangerous to enemy, thus logically enemy also treats open as dangerous terrain.

It's one of those things that doesn't seem entirely 'right' however, which is why I'm guessing it'll be FaQed to not work out that way.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    94 (x1)

I would be inclined to say "yes", but there is some debate over "is difficult terrain" and "treats as difficult terrain".

RAW, you have two different situations so my answer would be No (Orianik) and Yes (Tremorstave).

The C'Tan specifically says, "all difficult terrain is also dangerous" meaning anything labeled difficult now counts as dangerous.

Against Oriakin, it will not work because he says targets "count as moving through difficult terrain". The terrain they are moving through may not necessarily be labeled difficult, just that their movement is impaired as if it were.

Against Tremorstaves, it will work because it says targets "treat open ground as difficult terrain". As the open ground is now labeled difficult, the other ability kicks in and upgrades the label to dangerous.

Community Leader Roboute Guilliman's Avatar
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    553 (x8)

theres a big difference between "is" and "treated as" no way in hell could those circumstances be treated as dangerous

writhing worldscape = difficult terain IS also dangerous

difficult terrain is difficult terrain
    open ground TREATED AS difficult gound is not difficult terrain

Edit - ..... after further consideration and reading the codex i have to agree with XIII
    Last edited by Roboute Guilliman; November 7th, 2011 at 02:47.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    102 (x5)

I have to say yes too. Only because the reverse is true with Quantum shielding and lances. Our Ghost ark is AV 11, however COUNTS AS 13 until penned means Lances can use it as armor 12. Same issue came up in another thread. Counts as is equal to being in actual difficult terrain. Basically for one turn you're having your opponent stand still, or risk some fun. Personally, LOVE IT! +rep
    "There is only do, or do not. There is no try." - Yoda

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

There is a line of definition here though. If the c'tan shard is on the battlefield, it changes the definition of difficult terrain to dangerous terrain. Therefore, anything that either is or counts as difficult terrain is considered dangerous. To say that "count as" is different than actually doing something would completely undermine the entire game we are talking about. Everything "counts as" in warhammer, the miniatures are not actually firing guns, and they aren't actually moving through any terrain at all. Granted, It can be garunteed that a FAQ will come out and change the wording, therefore making my argument invalid. But until then, "counts as", and "is" are essentially the same thing.
    nothing like inter species cooperation!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Question about this. Unit of Assault Marines DS into difficult terrain... do they roll 1 and 2 for their Dangerous Terrain test?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    169 (x4)

i'd vote yes, and the same with vehicles/bikes/etc attempting to move through difficult terrain.

...A blog that's mostly about Infinity, but sometimes other stuff too.

+ Reply to Thread