Welcome to Librarium Online!
So, I just got the codex, and I will be playing my first game with it this weekend against Tyranids at 1750. My opponent likes to field lots of MCs, DSing Zoanthropes and a DSing Doom of Malantai. Tyranid MCs are all 3+, so I'm thinking Destroyers should handle them nicely. Scarabs seem to be everyone's go-to unit with the new codex, but they only seem good against vehicles, which he obviously won't have, so I think I'll leave them in the case. Zoanthropes will probably drop and pop a tank, but my troops should be able to drop them pretty quickly. The Doom is a bit more of a puzzle. Past experience dictates S8+ is the way to go. Necrons have easy access to S7, but S8 seems hard to come by. He probably won't make the mistake of dropping near the Monolith door. Perhaps Crypteks with that S8 staff spread around with my troops. What are people's thoughts on units to take, units not to take, general tactics, etc. My head is swimming from the new codex, plus I haven't played in a while anyway, so I'm trying to put my thoughts together. Thanks!
You could try a unit of 5 crypteks, all with eldritch lance. That's 5 str8 ap2 shots you can fire on the move. Deathmarks might also be a good choice. Nominate malantai as the target which means you're wounding on 2+, not to mention a unit of 10 deathmarks can put out 20 rending shots in rapid fire range! A combo could be lychguard with warscythes and take nemesor zandrehk to give them furious charge. 4 str8 I3 attacks on the charge for each model. I'm sold!
i don't think that you'll have much of a problem w/ the new nids (against the army in general, not trying to say your friend is a bad player) because a lot of the nids stuff can be brought down by torrenting. The nid MCs only have a 3+ save, so are actually pretty easy to take down with most of our fire power.
as for units, i would look at the annihilation barge for the sheer amount of shots and the likelihood that a lot of the units will be afarely close together due to synapse.
also, dont be so quick to knock off scarabs against nids. if he uses a lot of MCs then you may be able to get a multi charh off on a couple of them if you take ten man squad of scarabs. while they will be crushed pretty fast, they'll probably be able to cause one wound on them, causing then to lose their armour, and they have no invun, making them easy targets for the rest of your army.
use tesla to toast his gaunts, and i say something simple like 5 or 6 scarabs babysat by a wraith or two with lashwhips to take out the mc's. this will be epic as you should easily get it with him being I 1 and scarbs having 5 A on the charge. I hate to say it but our army will kill nids.
TBH you can't go far wrong against him, nids are a nice match-up.
Ye Old Necrons (R.I.P.) (7000pts) W52 D5 L9
New Crons!!! (5000pts) W1 D1 L1
Blood Angels (2500pts) W4 D0 L1
I'd suggest a monolith or 2. Not only can they get your vulnerable troops out of cc range, but those s8 ap3 shots will blast apart raveners and warriors with ease
“The ultimate philosophical question, “Am I human or machine” is answered by many people, “I don’t care, as long as I am”
- Myron Krueger
Well, he won, but barely. Things I learned, though:
1. Wraiths are f***ing awesome! I took a unit of 5 with lash whips and they took out a Trygon, a Hive Tyrant, and a unit of Gaunts before he was finally compelled to have all 3 of his units of Hive Guard fire at them to finish them off.
2. Destroyers are, as suspected, an excellent choice for shooting at those monstrous creatures, although Wraiths definitely seem even more effective.
3. I had a Cryptek with the Eldritch Lance attached to each of my troops, and they put a few wounds on those MCs, although when I ended up in CC (which is practically inevitable against Tyranids), I really wished I had a Lord with a Warscythe instead. Still think I'll still go with the Cryptek next time...
4. Monolith's door is a gimick. You should almost always prefer the whip to the door. But...
5. Monolith is probably not a great use of points compared to other options we have...
6. I took a C'tan, and while he was fairly effective, similar to the Monolith, he's probably not the best use of points...
7. 6-wound MCs are very annoying, especially when you have already done 5 wounds to them and can't seem to scrape up that last wound!