Monolith vs. Doomsday Ark - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Monolith vs. Doomsday Ark

Hi all,

Just wanted to get opinions on these two heavy choices. Prior to the new codex I always thought the Monolith was the best tank in the game. With the loss of the old living metal it has gone down only a little bit.

So basically i suppose it boils down to is the high strength/long range template bette than the teleporting gaussing monolith that is now more vulnerable.

Another factor between the two is price. Both Points as well as in Money with a $16.50 USD difference (as well as being able to take the extra necron bodies from the ark kit and possibly make them into something else.)

I'm really torn on which to use.

In the Castle of Pain on a Mountain of Skulls I sat on a Throne of Blood. What was will be, what is will be no more. Now is the season of Evil!

- Vigo the Carpathian

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

my opinion is the the doomsday ark is where its at... while the monolith is a av 14 all around it just moves to slow to be really effective. in the old codex you could deepstrike them with no worries, now they can mishap. thats a big worry with one of the biggest tanks in the game. to me its just not what it used to be.

the doomsday ark doesnt need to worry about movement with the weapon it has... its made to sit back and shoot. with everything else in the codex so short ranged i prefer the long rage of the doomsday ark, unless running a nightfight army. but thats just my two-cents.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Why was mishap no problem before?

I'm actually going to take both. The ark for the insane firepower it dishes out and the monolith for its ability to give our units a lot more manoeuvrability. I was actually considering taking 2 liths and a doomsday ark in a 800 point game recently
    “The ultimate philosophical question, “Am I human or machine” is answered by many people, “I don’t care, as long as I am”
    - Myron Krueger

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Because the last codex stated if it landed on an enemy unit, you just pushed aside the models to make room for the monolith, so no mishap, unless you went off the table. i would just rather have our old monolith then this new crappy one for -35 points.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    33 (x1)

Quote Originally Posted by fateweaver View Post
    i would just rather have our old monolith then this new crappy one for -35 points.
    So would everybody else. But let's face it, its last incarnation was under-costed by a solid 50-75 points. This was balanced by being in a dinosaur of a codex that was otherwise pretty weak, but it was arguably far and away the best tank in the game. As it is, it's pretty appropriately costed. It is still significantly cheaper than a Land Raider while having substantially more offensive power and is just as survivable. It's only drawback is it's speed, which deepstrike somewhat mitigates, as does the teleport ability. It is a good tank. We all just need to get used to it not being the unkillable brick that it once was.

Plus, look at this from a business standpoint of GW. Almost every Necron player had at least one monolith, and most had more. Heck, I have 3 of the damn things. They are not going to make any money if they make what everyone already has the end all/be all of the codex. So, they drop its effectiveness to sell other models, but also drop its points cost to encourage others to buy them in multiples.

As for the Annihilation Barge, it seems really good in many cases, but pretty poor in others. I think that most Leafblower lists will deal with it pretty quickly, and neither does it synergize well with any list with the Storm Lord. I think it could be really effective, but should probably be taken in multiples so that key targets have a much tougher chance of hiding out of LOS.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    42 (x1)

One weapon destroyed result makes the Doomsday Ark a big floating waste of time. The Monolith is a beast because of its teleporting rules. Also consider the tag-team of Nemesor Zahndrekh with the Monolith. Using his Phased Reinforcement rules the Monolith can come in during the opposition turn, then during your turn you will be able to pop out a unit of your choice straight away. Now before you cry "what is the point of that" imagine the use of this vs a Marine drop pod army. Two or three pods arrive, so does the 'lith and then out comes your your C'Tan, Cryptek Court or Destroyers or whatever else Marine killers you have in your list, right on the head of the Mahrine's
    Don't hate Da Playa, hate Da Game!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Captain America View Post
    :w00t: Hooray for ass monkeys!

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

And don't forget the hilarious shenanigans when they try to do a vanguard heroic intervention!
    “The ultimate philosophical question, “Am I human or machine” is answered by many people, “I don’t care, as long as I am”
    - Myron Krueger

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Save your monoliths for 6th edition rules. Where they will make changes to vehicle deepstrikes. I think that's why it's not included in the rules right now. For now, use doomsday arc until they release Doom Scythe!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    63 (x1)

I played a game last weekend where my opponent and I both fielded Doomsday Arks. The general consensus was that they were disappointing. One weapon destroyed result rendered them useless, and 175 points is a lot for a single template. Neither of them did much during the game. If you ask me, the thing is just an overcosted Basilisk. Monolith all the way. It may not be as invincible as before, but it's still pretty killy, and has a lot of extra utility to boot. The Annihilation barge seems very... situational. It seems good, but it requires a lot of support to make it work, and very careful placement of your own units. The AP - really limits its effectiveness against vehicles as well.

If you ask me, the Heavy Support column for Necrons seems a tad lackluster. Fast Attack is where its at. Wraiths and Scarabs and Stalkers, oh my! Wraiths are the best unit in the codex now, bar none. Scarabs can eat transports for breakfast. The target tracking rule of the Stalker is just bank, plus its our only melta. The heavy gauss cannon seems like the better option though. Honestly, Destroyers aren't bad either. I tried them out during that game and they actually did pretty well. Well, except for that time I rolled snake eyes for my Night Fighting roll when I was 7 inches away! They're not the kill-everything unit they used to be, but now they're good dedicated Marine killers. Throwing in some Heavies helps against vehicles as well. If the rumors are true and Preferred Enemy starts to improve shooting in 6th, then they'll be even better.
    House Crocotta - Imperial Guard 4000
    Tomb World Sheol - Necron 2000

Imperial Guard Tactics - The Art of Big Scary Distractions: Part 1 Part 2

+ Reply to Thread