Tyranid 3000 points need advice please - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Tyranid 3000 points need advice please

HQ

Hive Tyrant

Bone sword and lash whip
    Heavy venom cannon
    Old adversary
    Acid blood
    Paroxysm
    Leech essence*

Tyrant guard *3

Tervigon

Scything talons
    Acid blood

Elites

Zoanthropes *3

Mycetic spore

Hive guard *3

Doom of malantai'*

Mycetic spore

Fast attack

Gargoyles *18

Adrenal glands

Troops

Warriors *5

Scything talons
    Rending claws
    Toxin sacs

Termagants *18

Devourers*

Genestealers *11

Toxin sacs

Hormagaunts *15

Toxin sacs

Heavy Support

Trygon Prime*

Toxin sacs

Carnifex brood *3

Crushing claws*
    Scything talons
    Toxin sacs

Tyrannofex

Rupture cannon

Total 2993

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The first thing that jumps out at me is the Carnifex brood. A trio increases survivability but Crushing Claws are just crushing defeat. No matter what you do they go last in close combat. That means you'll be taking wounds on the way in to combat and have to take a round of wounds before you take a swing. I'd scale back, maybe go with scything talons and twin-linked devourers with brainleech worms. Or forgo the 'fexes all together, get a second Tyranid prime, and pump the remaining points into a second Tervigon or Harpy, assuming you want to stick with monstrous creatures.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hello thanks for your advice how do I make a twin linked Devourer for the fexes?

Anything else you would recommend?

Thanks

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The Carnifex kits come with right and left arm Devourers. Sounds like you don't have them. You can often find them on eBay for a few bucks a set. They don't require any customizing. As for any other suggestions it would help to know who you will be up against.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mainly orks and imperial guard to be honest

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

In my experience a great unit for taking out orks is Biovores. Rain spore pods down on the green wave as it advances to thin it down as much as possible. Consider swapping out the Carnifex for a brood of three. MCs can do some damage to be sure, but if you get into CC the weight of Ork attacks is just going to swallow them up. So Rupture Cannon is good if your opponent is bringing Kans or Dreds, and definitely against IG armor spam, but if you know your opponent likes to bring the green wave consider switching to the acid spray. A nice template that you can put 12 inches out in front of the unit and then aim!

For your Tyrant, which looks like you want to be close combat orient, you may want to swap out twin-linked devourers with Brain-leech worms. 6 shots with re-rolls to hit is pretty decent, and the guns can crack transports and trucks.

Tervigon really aren't meant to be close combat units. They can fill the role of course, but there are better options. Consider dropping the talons and acid blood in favor of buffs that benefit other more offensively minded units. Catalyst to give assaulting units FNP. Toxin and Adrenal to buff your Termagant spawn. Makes them particularly effective against IG. You can keep the other buffs of course, if you expect your opponent to go after her, but in my experience the points are better spent elsewhere.

I've never played at the 3000 point level, but I imagine that any points you save by dumping the Carnifex should go towards your troop slots of which you've only filled four. Maybe you can afford a second Tervigon and 10 Termies. At lower point levels if your single Termagant craps out in spawning you've still got a chance. I imagine at this level if you're relying on one Tervigon to spawn scoring units you'll probably be disappointed. And I would suggest not spawning until you have to regardless. Few things more frustrating than spawning four Termagants in the first turn, crapping out your Termagant for the rest of the battle, and then having the opponent gun down the 'gants for an easy kill point.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ok confused at how many troops I can take and why I thought I could only take 4 ?? And cool the bio vore does sound quite cool!! The tervigon will be used defensively after your suggestion I guess it will be safer

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My mistake on the FOC slots. Don't know why I was thinking six. Working and posting don't always mix well. :p

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Regarding the Tervigon, there's a middle ground between offense and defense where this unit shines. Don't be afraid to advance with the unit. keep it and its surrounding Termagant broods moving forward. Press the enemy. Make your opponent choose its poison. With six wounds and high toughness you create a target priority issue. Do I shoot the Tyranid prime advancing on my left flank? The Hive Tyrant rushing up the middle? The Tervigon and its wave of shooty gribbles coming up on the right? Oh crap, where did those Warriors come from?

If you hang back and play defense, do it to protect a home objective. But don't play defense just to avoid combat. In a tournament I once spawned three broods of 12 plus from one Tervigon. Sounds great, but I ran out of turns before I could use them to win the battle. Sure, my opponent had no chance of taking my home objective, but I was nowhere near close to taking his and with all those numbers I could have rolled him. Too cautious. Plus, if you don't advance you aren't taking advantage of the toxin sac and adrenal gland benefits you give surrounding Termagant broods (once they're outside six inches of the Tervigon the benfits are lost). The Tervy can absorb a bit of shooting damage before going down. If your opponent guns her down in one turn then they should pay for it with other units getting within charge range.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So you think the list is okk?
    Is the Trygon better deep striking? I need a bit of advice on how to use a Trygon properly if possible?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast