Royal Court Deployment/Usage - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Royal Court Deployment/Usage

I had some concerns and questions about deploying/usage of the royal court. With regular lords do you stick them in marching squads or regular squads? Also since I've used destruction crypteks I can't seem to justify putting a single shot anti-vehicle shot in a squad that is primarily anti-infantry. I was considering getting a seperate overlord and a whole squad of destruction crypteks with a lord w/res orb. Thoughts and personal experience appreciated.

"LET'S COMMENCE PREPARATIONS FOR RUMBLING!" Mono-Tzeentch 1:1:1

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Double Clutching Weasel Klajorne's Avatar
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    479 (x8)

Hrmmm... not quite sure what you're asking, but I'll tell you where I put my court and why.

Lords I generally only put with lychguard because, per unit, they're expensive and I want to maximize the benefit I get out of that rez orb. I like my lychguard to be as resilient as I can. I also like having that str 7 weapon in with them since it's the only warscythe in the whole batch and it comes in handy now and again. The lychguard effectively act as very tough ablative wounds for my str 7 weapon.

I put my crypteks in my warrior squads because my warrior squads can hurt vehicles (even if just glancing) and I can use that single shot when I'm walking up and nothing is within rapid fire range yet. I've been doing what accounts to a footslogging army (though I have a few vehicles, they don't act as transports), so I don't run my units so that I have an easier time keeping them together. At least then I can get one shot out of the squad. I also like having the crypteks in the squad for the anti-assault to have some resilience in them. Defensive grenades, shock shields, crucibles, all of these keep my squads alive that much longer.

To me, what defines the necron army is its resilience. If I can build that into the whole list, I feel like I'm running with the theme.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

I put an orb lord in any big units, usually just with sword and shackles. Another 4 and a chrono cryptek usually go with a overlord with a warrior screen. All have shackles for combat. I didn't put much stock on storm crypteks before, but today one destroyed a particle whip of, immobilized and destroyed 2 flux arcs of a monolith in 2 turns of shooting. In another game, 1 round of shooting resulted in 2 blood claws off a furioso dreadnought. I'm thinking of taking a few and spreading them around the army for cheap anti-tank duty. They are really amazing for their cost, especially with the abundance of heavy mech.
    “The ultimate philosophical question, “Am I human or machine” is answered by many people, “I don’t care, as long as I am”
    - Myron Krueger

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    172 (x7)

Quote Originally Posted by thegodofnothing View Post
    I had some concerns and questions about deploying/usage of the royal court. With regular lords do you stick them in marching squads or regular squads? Also since I've used destruction crypteks I can't seem to justify putting a single shot anti-vehicle shot in a squad that is primarily anti-infantry. I was considering getting a seperate overlord and a whole squad of destruction crypteks with a lord w/res orb. Thoughts and personal experience appreciated.
    I havent used Lords up till now, but I plan on trying out a list with a large necron blob supported by a ghost ark that will have a lord with orb, mindshackle, and either a sword or scythe.

As far as cryptek deploying, it works either way. Destruction crypteks work in Warrior units because it gives the squad something to do in the early turns when enemies are out of gauss flayer range. It also still works up close because shooting the rest of the squads basic guns at an armor target isnt a waste like it is for other race's basic gun.

Sure the flayer is still primarily for anti-infantry, but it still works on vehicles which is more than can be said of bolters and the like. I have use destruction crypteks both as a squad of their own and as unit upgrades, and they worked pretty well both ways. If you do plan on making a full 5 man destruction squad, I would recommend getting a lord with orb in there as well. It comes in handy with their "Ever Living"
    "I am the architect of fate!"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    80 (x2)

My first effort with the Court is 4 Destruction Crypteks with one solar pulse, 1 Time Cryptek with chronometron, and 1 lord with an orb and shifter. The re-roll from the chrono is golden, and it is every phase. So you can use it to reroll an armor penetration in your shooting phase then again in your opponents phase to reroll a failed shifter save. It has worked well so far.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Or for 15pts less you can give the time cryptek the 3+ inv
    “The ultimate philosophical question, “Am I human or machine” is answered by many people, “I don’t care, as long as I am”
    - Myron Krueger

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

80 (x2)

True but I would rather be putting the wound on the Lord just in case the save does fail. I would rather lose the orb than the re-roll so it is worth the 15 pts. to me to have the option.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Why not take 2 chrono crypteks, 1 with each?
    - Myron Krueger

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    63 (x1)

It's a bit expensive but a regular Lord (not overlord!) with a warscythe, res orb, and mindshackle scarabs in a unit of sword-and-board Lychguard can be awesome. The reason I say Lord and not Overlord is that the Lord is not an IC, and thus cannot be singled out in combat. Therefore, you can allocate all wounds to your Guard and their 4++ save, while the Lord swings his scythe and takes over that PF sergeant.
    House Crocotta - Imperial Guard 4000
    Tomb World Sheol - Necron 2000

Imperial Guard Tactics - The Art of Big Scary Distractions: Part 1 Part 2

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

80 (x2)

Why not take 2 chrono crypteks, 1 with each?
    I take the lord to get the orb as well as the shifter. Now that I look at it though, it ends up costing 55 pts to get the orb because of the differences in lord vs. cryptek and shifter vs. cloak. That may indeed be points better spent elsewhere. Definitely something to consider. Thanks.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast