Battle reports, sharing what I've learned - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    63 (x1)

Battle reports, sharing what I've learned

I played two experimental games the other day with Necrons, using some of my guard stuff as proxies. One was a 2000 point game, and one was a 755 point game. I won't go into the boring details of a blow by blow account of what happened, but I will share some experiences of what I learned.
    Game 1 vs. Space Marines: 2 Objectives, Dawn of War
    My list:
    HQ:
    Overlord with Warscythe and Command Barge
    - Destek with Solar Pulse
    Nemesor Zahndrek
    - Destek with Solar Pulse

Troops:
    8 Immortals with Gauss Blasters
    9 Warriors with a Ghost Ark
    9 Warriors with a Ghost Ark
    10 Warriors

Fast Attack:
    6 Wraiths with 2 Whip Coils and 1 Particle Caster
    6 Scarabs
    6 Scarabs

Heavy Support:
    Annihilation Barge
    Annihilation Barge
    Monolith

End Result: Necron victory at turn 6, both objectives controlled.

Thoughts: Part of the victory was due to my opponent not knowing much about the new Necrons, as such, he allowed my Scarabs to get into charge range of his vehicles, costing him a Predator and Venerable Dreadnought, instead of shooting them immediately. However, I don't think this reduces the usefulness of Scarabs, as they have lots of wounds to soak, unless your opponent wastes blast template shots on a cheap little 90 point unit. Flamers shouldn't pose too much of a problem since Scarabs are now Beasts, as with clever maneuvering you can keep them out of flamer range fairly easily. The exceptions would be ranged flamers like Hellhounds and Dreadknights, so watch out for those.
    My wraiths further cemented their status in my mind as Pure Awesome, wiping out a full assault squad followed by a Vindicator and Tactical squad. They eventually died due to my opponent throwing literally everything he had at them, but they more than made up their points. I don't think I'm ever taking a list without them. 2 whip coils are usually enough to get a lot of your enemy down to I1, and the lone particle caster makes for good allocation shenanigans. I'd maybe add another whip coil if I had an extra 10 points to throw around in any future list, but it's not necessary.
    Since we rolled Dawn of War, I used one solar pulse to dispel Night Fighting on my turn, and one more to extend it for him one turn longer. I had the crypteks ride in the Ghost Arks with the warriors, and the Eldritch Lances helped quite a bit.
    Annihilation Barges are fantastic. The twin-linked rule meant I usually got at least one 6 on each round of shooting, and I included Gauss Cannons on them as well for the AP 3 goodness. They chewed up Marines like nobody's business. There weren't any transports to shoot at, but I've heard tell they make great stun-lockers, so they'll probably be a mainstay for me and many others.
    I had bad luck with a Monolith mishap, so I didn't get to see what it could do. I'm worried that putting on the board at the start means it will be too slow to get anywhere, but its size makes Deep Striking too risky. In 6th, the "heavy skimmer" rule will likely make it immune to mishaps in some form or another, so we may have to wait.
    I probably won't be taking Nemesor Zahndrek again. Giving my Wraiths Furious Charge and Counterattack was awesome, but I'm not sure it's 185 points worth of awesome. For roughly the same cost, I could have another Overlord in a Command Barge. My Command Barge didn't do much, it got blown up on turn 2 after killing a couple of Marines, but that was my fault for leaving it too close to a pack of Assault Marines. I think it would do a lot better if used more carefully, something that lots of people have been telling me.
    Once again, I found that Ghost Arks work best when used as a support vehicle first and a transport second. Fully meching up with Necrons is not the way to go. I used my Immortals as objective sitters and my Warriors to push towards the opponent's objective. Keeping one squad on foot attracted fire, and my Ghost Arks made them tough to kill off.
    My only worry about this list is a lack of anti-Terminator firepower. My opponent didn't have any in his list, but I wonder how well my Wraiths would have stacked up. The GW rep said to just use the Monolith portal, but I think a weapon with only d6" range that has a 33% chance of killing a Terminator is hardly that effective, especially since it puts you well within melta and thunder hammer range. This is another reason I'm considering dropping Zandy for another Overlord/Barge, since Warscythe flyovers would be a good way of killing them off. Other than that, I'd have to rely on sheer volume of fire to get rid of them, which could be unreliable. The only reliable alternative I can see is dropping the Monolith for a Doomsday Ark, which I'm rather reluctant to do since the Ark is a lot of points for one template that can be neutralized by one Weapon Destroyed result. I've tried out Arks in previous games and found them to be rather unimpressive.

House Crocotta - Imperial Guard 4000
    Tomb World Sheol - Necron 2000

Imperial Guard Tactics - The Art of Big Scary Distractions: Part 1 Part 2

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

63 (x1)

Game 2 vs. Blood Angels: Pitched Battle, Annihilation
    My list:
    HQ:
    Necron Overlord with Warscythe and Command Barge
    -Destek
    Troops:
    10 Necron Warriors
    9 Necron Warriors in Ghost Ark
    Fast Attack:
    3 Wraiths with 1 whip coil
    5 Scarabs
    Heavy Support:
    Annihilation Barge

Result: Blood Angels tabled on turn 4.
    Once again, Wraiths are awesome. They squished his Command Squad good. My Overlord did a bit more this game by flying over a Furiouso Dreadnought turn 1 and blowing it up. My scarabs didn't get to do much except try to chase down a Baal Pred that kept running and hiding, but my Overlord caught it first. The rest of his army, a small squad of Death Company and some various Marines, fell to sheer volume of fire from my Annihilation Barge and Warriors. I did lose my squad of warriors to sweeping advance, so keep your warriors out of assault! Again, Wraiths and Annihilation Barges, awesomesauce.

Quick digression, but a rules question came up in the first game. My Scarabs caught a Venerable Dread and started chewing down the armor. After the first turn of assault, his armor was down to 7, meaning my Scarabs could potentially penetrate it. However, the GW rep at the store claimed that the way he had heard it from the main HQ, where the rules were written, was that Scarabs were only able to kill vehicles by eating down their armor, not by doing damage themselves. His justification was that the codex supersedes the rulebook, and under the description of Entropic Strike it only talks about reducing armor, not dealing penetrating hits. I think he's full of it, since Scarabs have a strength value and there's nothing that says Entropic Strike replaces their regular attack. Still, I thought I'd ask some opinions here as well and see if people agree with me.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    172 (x7)

That's a bunch of nonsense, both that a lowly redshirt has any sort of channel to the game devs, and his interpretation of scarab attacks.

Given his ruling, scarabs could never take the armor save away from multiwound models if entropic strike somehow replaces normal attacks since against non-armor entropic strike goes off on the wound roll, not the to hit roll.

Basically, entropic strike isn't a special attack that replaces or supersedes normal attacks, it's just a special rule that adds additional effects onto the scarab's normal attacks.
    Last edited by Phaeron Typhoon; December 5th, 2011 at 01:02.
    "I am the architect of fate!"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks for sharing your experiences

I had my first ever game of 40K earlier today. Won with not too much difficulty thanks to my Phaeron with his Rez Orb (I resurrected him 3 combats in a row). I think I won thanks to my uncanny ability to resurrect everything my friend killed, much to his annoyance! My Scarabs didn't do much as I wasn't playing against any tanks. My Annihilation Barge was pretty decent (think me having this was a tad unfair) combined with shooting from the warriors - 21 shots killed 1 marine in one turn, but killed 8 in the next turn with rapid fire prior to combat.

Unsure if I played 'Relentless' properly, though. With this can I move, shoot with rapid fire and still charge in the assault phase?

I think your GW friend might need to read the rules!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    172 (x7)

You played relentless correctly.

On a sidebar, where in Dallas do you play nitro kitty? I've been in town for a couple months and am looking for a decent place to play regularly. I would like to possibly even join a gaming club on top of finding a decent stir to play at.
    "I am the architect of fate!"

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

63 (x1)

I live in the north end of Dallas, and I usually either play at the Hobbytown in Plano (40K night on Wednesdays and open gaming on Saturdays) or the GW store in Frisco. When I'm meeting up with some specific friends as opposed to just going for open gaming, we usually meet at Comic Asylum in Richardson. If you're in the area, send me a private message and I'll give you my phone number.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    26 (x1)

Thanks for the analysis Nitro. I haven't had as much luck with my annialation barges but your furthering the case that I need to start using wraiths.

And by they way, you guys suck, all the good gaming clubs are in Plano/Frisco, there is absolutely nothing in Fort Worth...

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

About the doomsday. I've recently tried out one with a spyder as support and it worked great. The 4+ repair is fantastic for any destroyed results
    “The ultimate philosophical question, “Am I human or machine” is answered by many people, “I don’t care, as long as I am”
    - Myron Krueger

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

63 (x1)

Quote Originally Posted by MightisRight View Post
    About the doomsday. I've recently tried out one with a spyder as support and it worked great. The 4+ repair is fantastic for any destroyed results
    Still, that's well over 200 points and 2 Heavy Support slots dedicated to one immobile blast template. Think of how much you can get for the same cost.

jy2
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

797 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by MightisRight View Post
    You can repair a destroyed doomsday?
    Record: Win - Loss - Draw: Hive Fleet Pandora (New) 32-6-6 Space Wolf 7th Co. 52-11-6
    Blood Angels 12-4-2 Daemonhunters 20-8-3
    Imperial Guards 12-5-2 Daemons 8-3-2

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast