How to use Wraiths? - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

How to use Wraiths?

I read online that the wraiths are really kick ass. Now while I understand how blood angel's assault marines work, (FNP+Furious Charge, Deep Strike and Jump Infantry) I get a feel for the wraiths not having any power weapons and understand the design there; but really, which fights should you go into with a grin and which fights should you avoid? Are they our new all-purpose unit that can go against both vehicles AND infantry? Can they duel against MCs effectively? In which situation would you say they do NOT want to be? (I'm thinking of "within the radius of a null zone").

Thanks and keep the discussions coming,
    -Spikes

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    102 (x5)

Quote Originally Posted by Spikes View Post
    I read online that the wraiths are really kick ass. Now while I understand how blood angel's assault marines work, (FNP+Furious Charge, Deep Strike and Jump Infantry) I get a feel for the wraiths not having any power weapons and understand the design there; but really, which fights should you go into with a grin and which fights should you avoid? Are they our new all-purpose unit that can go against both vehicles AND infantry? Can they duel against MCs effectively? In which situation would you say they do NOT want to be? (I'm thinking of "within the radius of a null zone").

Thanks and keep the discussions coming,
    -Spikes
    Power weapons aren't the kicker, they have so many attacks AND rending. Rending is your power weapon here. You're hitting on 4's and wounding on 2's almost always, 2 wounds each allows wound allocation (I field 3 whips, 1 particle blaster, and 2 regular). With a 3++ invul they are seriously great and FAST since they literally can go right through terrain (and jump infantry). In fact they can HIDE in terrain safely for next turn to always get the assault. Getting assaulted isn't quite as good, but they're still good. Avoid Force weapons, and double toughness (like power fist terminators, etc). I beat down 8 Grey knight terminators with S6 halbreds the other day with 6 wraiths. I had all of them still standing and just 1 wound on each type.
    "There is only do, or do not. There is no try." - Yoda

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I agree that with six of them on the charge you're bound to roll some 6s to wound, more likely than not.

What is your favourite type of target with them? Unarmoured kroot? Guardsmen infantry? MEQ? Termies? AV10-11 transports? Dreadnoughts? Landraiders? Monstrous Creatures?

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    191 (x3)

They are i'd say on par with Thunder hammer/storm sheild terminators, and probably even better. Allocation of wounds is HUGH... and it seems 3 whips, 2 reg, and 1 particle is what everybody is taking. I tried them last weekend and the owned a demon prince and greater deamon in 3 rounds. I suspect TH/SS termis would be a good fight. The wraiths have the advantage of being fearless and jump infantry which increases their threat range over TH/SS termis. I guess the only thing I see them having trouble with is a landraider on other AV14, although even so it is possible to Pen it.

The fast attack choices are the best in the necron book. All 3 slots of mine will be filled every game with choices from that section.
    NECRON Army List Builder a Free excel capable list generator for 5th and 6th ed. 11/2011
    Necrons - 6000 points, Tau - 6000, Daemons - 5250, Eldar - 4500, Blood Angels - 5000
    Some pics form my hobby. http://s145.photobucket.com/albums/r...arodragon/40k/

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    191 (x3)

Quote Originally Posted by Spikes View Post
    I agree that with six of them on the charge you're bound to roll some 6s to wound, more likely than not.

What is your favourite type of target with them? Unarmoured kroot? Guardsmen infantry? MEQ? Termies? AV10-11 transports? Dreadnoughts? Landraiders? Monstrous Creatures?
    They can take on most anything. I wouldnt use them on kroot or guardsmen unless absolutly needed. Pick an opposing unit thats your greatest threat and send the wraiths hunting.
    NECRON Army List Builder a Free excel capable list generator for 5th and 6th ed. 11/2011
    Necrons - 6000 points, Tau - 6000, Daemons - 5250, Eldar - 4500, Blood Angels - 5000
    Some pics form my hobby. http://s145.photobucket.com/albums/r...arodragon/40k/

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So basically you want to drown them in saves, and sometimes you'll roll a 6 to wound. So, hunt anything that can die to STR6 am I right?

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Wraiths are perfect against elite shooting units, long fangs, gunman dreadnoughts, melta units just to name a couple. They are almost on par against TH/SS termies, they will roll through halberd grey knights thanks to the whip coils, genestealers, Carnifex and even the likes of a Hive tyrant will have a hard time.

You might struggle against guys like Mephiston, Abadon, Arjac ect... Being able to instant kill wraiths or just outlast them but you can bring them down with a little luck or a little shooting after the combat is done.

Getting up the board will be a bigger challenge then combat itself, avoiding the las cannons is hard unless you abuse night fighting

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    94 (x1)

Quote Originally Posted by klondiker View Post
    Getting up the board will be a bigger challenge then combat itself, avoiding the las cannons is hard unless you abuse night fighting
    Which is why you always stay in cover... especially if you Deep Strike right into nearby cover.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by XIII View Post
    Which is why you always stay in cover... especially if you Deep Strike right into nearby cover.
    3++ is better then cover... If the new models stand any higher up then The old ones then finding cover all the way up the board that can Block LOS can prove to be difficult. Unless of course your like me and decided to model your entire army to look like they are crawling out of the ground so the model profile is cut in half...

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    720 (x8)

In assault Wraiths have "just" T4 and 3++. Meaning they can be brought down with enough attacks and by Force Weapons and Powerfists. Basically the only thing I would not assault with Wraiths unless absolutely necessary is:
    1) Hordes. Big Hordes. Like 30 Ork boyz with choppas and sluggas. The cheer amount of attacks will pull down a bit too many Wraiths for comfort.
    2) Hyperkilly SCs with high saves (2+), huge amounts of wounds (more than 3) and considerably higher than average toughness (6 or more). Like Mephiston. Well, actually he is the only SC that hyperkilly that comes to my mind... So okay, don't assault Mephy unless absolutely needed.
    Revenant Moon Necrons: (W/L/D) 0/1/0 (6th edition: 13/2/2)(5th edition: 14/6/4)(3rd edition Codex: 16/4/7)
    XIX Legion: (W/L/D) 0/0/0 (5th edition: 14/12/2)(5th edition Codex: 4/3/0)
    Black Legion: (W/L/D) 1/0/0 (6th edition: 2/3/0)
    Something Wicked... Reikwald Beastmen: (W/L/D) 10/4/1

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast