Archon equipment fluff question. - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    95 (x2)

Archon equipment fluff question.

Hey

Basically whilst making an army list recently, it struck me that the Dark Eldar Archon seems to be generally equipped with close combat weapons... now this got me thinking...

do you think, fluff-wise, all/many archons prefer close-combat? I mean, judging from their profile, they're very skilled in both ranged and hand to hand combat, and yet we hardly ever see them toting a rifle or whatever (I know the blaster is available, but there's nothing like say... the shard-carbine available, even though they'd more than know how to use it).

So basically the question(s) are the following:

1) Do you think archons, by and large, prefer melee over ranged combat, why?

2) If you make up fluff for your army, what does YOUR archon prefer?

3) Finally, what do you think the options are for converting the current archon model into holding a ranged weapon? Doesn't have to be a blaster or a pistol & sword, be creative!

Thanks

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    37 (x1)

1) Yes, because getting to see the life snuffed out of their victims up close and personal is much more enjoyable than seeing it through a scope.

2) My archon is a melee fighter through and through. He's even been given the nickname "Ruby Lightning" due to the speed with which he handles his crimson Agonizer.

3) Uhhh... I guess the simplest conversion would be to use a bit of cut n' paste with arms and suitable guns to make it fit the pose the model is in.

Slave to the flesh The_Outsider's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    251 (x8)

HQ models having access to CC weapons (as opposed to ranged weaponry beyond pistols) is mostly a game setting thing - many other forces would also just as likely have their commander wielding a heavy weapon or whatever, but rule of cool dictates hand-to-hand combat is more heroic.

Quote Originally Posted by Blackadder View Post
    1) Do you think archons, by and large, prefer melee over ranged combat, why?
    Generally yes - as said close combat gives that up clsoe and personal feel. Then again an archon make take pride in being an expert marksmen (a one shot, one kill kind of deal).

2) If you make up fluff for your army, what does YOUR archon prefer?
    Close combat to the exclusion of all else - my archon doesn't even take haywire grenades as he views destroying hulking metal behemoths as beneath him - he has warriors with dark lances or blasters to do that for him.

3) Finally, what do you think the options are for converting the current archon model into holding a ranged weapon? Doesn't have to be a blaster or a pistol & sword, be creative!
    I like the idea of having 2 phantasm grenade launchers on the back of the model - the idea being they swing down and poke out from behind his torso to unleash a blast of energy at short range to kill and stun enemies when he gets mobbed in combat (use the blast pistol rules to show this).

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have taken an Archon with a Blaster before, simply because it's the one of the few HQs that can take actual firepower. But, regardless of the fluffiness of the set up, the way the rules work, CC is just far more devastating than even a Blaster can provide. The Blaster, or Blast Pistol can be helpful, but in the end it is just another tool to be used before the knives come out. When i run a Court of the Archon i do enjoy the image of my Archon with his cronies, laughing as they gun down the enemy before confidently walking in and chopping up what remains.
    Stab it, slash it, bite, tank shock and smash it. If that fails, shoot it.

+ Reply to Thread