Core Units & Farseer fluff question. - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    95 (x2)

Core Units & Farseer fluff question.

Hi

Basically I'm borrowing my friend's codexes and making lists from several armies to see if I like them and so on, and I'm taking a look at the Eldar (both of them, evil & good), and I have a couple of questions regarding the Craftworld Eldar for more experienced players...

1) Basically, which unit do you use as the core of your army? I may be holding an overly simplistic view, but a 12' range (granted, Assault 2) gun on a Guardian squad isn't exactly great... especially considering they're not exactly great in close combat. Rangers obviously come in small squads and are snipers, and dire avengers seem to be the only real choice of a core unit. SO basically, which unit do you choose for your core and why? Also, which units (not just core here) would you suggest for a 500pt army?

2) A quick fluff question regarding farseers... how likely is it do you think, that a Farseer would feel that the Eldar's salvation lies with allying themseves with humanity? And in order to do so, they gain their trust by helping them in battle if possible, warning of them of forth-coming danger/disaster (via their psyhcic abilities) - their end goal being not necessarily being absorbed into the Imperium, but being partners with it, and good partners at that.

Thanks.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    33 (x2)

rangers are good and at higer points i wld upgrade them to pathfinders, however at 500points i wld probably not bother with them

i dont seen the point in dire avengers and i wld just take the storm guys (maybe they are the dire avengers, dont have my book atm and cant remember what the are called) and put them in falcons and give them flamers

jetbikes are good for taking objectives, just turbo-boost them onto 1

at 500points i wld consider 2 falcons with the flamer guys and a fasreer

500points is a bit small and you wont get much else

as for your fluff question i think that was the dawn of war 2 scenario fluff lol

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    53 (x3)

Quote Originally Posted by Blackadder View Post
    1) Basically, which unit do you use as the core of your army?
    Waveserpents. Sometimes I put troops in them because I have to.

It turns out other people call this "DAVU" for "Dire Avengers as a Vehicle Upgrade". Meaning that you're spending 60 points to make a waveserpent a scoring unit, but you aren't expecting a whole lot out of those dire avengers, and might not deploy them the whole game depending on the situation.

Things used to be different, and might be different again in the next edition. When the current Eldar codex first hit, vehicles were rolling deathtraps for any troops inside, so there was a lot of infantry on the table and the wasn't any "run" rule. DA on the ground and jetbikes were pretty solid then.

But now vehicles are a lot harder to take out, and much gentler to those inside, and everybody can run.

The problem then is that Eldar on the ground are overrun much more quickly by assault type forces, and Eldar troops kinda stink since there aren't really good anti vehicle options on them. Stormies are no meltavets.

Waveserpents are tough transports, keep us out of trouble, can shoot OKish, can deliver the excellent fire dragons and some other options like that, and then can tankshock our way to victory when you need to claim objectives.

They also make for interesting battles! None of this IG stuff of setting up your forces and never moving anything or a straightforward rush. Eldar go all over the map and do all manner of tricky things. My games tend to be very different.

2) A quick fluff question regarding farseers... how likely is it do you think, that a Farseer would feel that the Eldar's salvation lies with allying themseves with humanity? And in order to do so, they gain their trust by helping them in battle if possible, warning of them of forth-coming danger/disaster (via their psyhcic abilities) - their end goal being not necessarily being absorbed into the Imperium, but being partners with it, and good partners at that.
    It's hard to be that sort of good guy if 40k, and that might give the imperium too much credit. Eldar are of course famous for helping humanity in that way. However eventually the farseer tends to have to choose between loyalty to the humans and eldar lives...and that usually isn't even a choice.

Now, I could see it being reasonable that a Farseer might have a relationship like that with the particular ranking Imperial in a given location. Maybe that guys kid could eventually wipe out a Tyranid hive before it even gets in the same sector as a craftworld, and so the farseer will stick with them through that whole period of time.
    Last edited by sunnyside; December 31st, 2011 at 07:37.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

95 (x2)

Quote Originally Posted by sunnyside View Post
    Waveserpents. Sometimes I put troops in them because I have to.

It turns out other people call this "DAVU" for "Dire Avengers as a Vehicle Upgrade". Meaning that you're spending 60 points to make a waveserpent a scoring unit, but you aren't expecting a whole lot out of those dire avengers, and might not deploy them the whole game depending on the situation.

Things used to be different, and might be different again in the next edition. When the current Eldar codex first hit, vehicles were rolling deathtraps for any troops inside, so there was a lot of infantry on the table and the wasn't any "run" rule. DA on the ground and jetbikes were pretty solid then.

But now vehicles are a lot harder to take out, and much gentler to those inside, and everybody can run.

The problem then is that Eldar on the ground are overrun much more quickly by assault type forces, and Eldar troops kinda stink since there aren't really good anti vehicle options on them. Stormies are no meltavets.

Waveserpents are tough transports, keep us out of trouble, can shoot OKish, can deliver the excellent fire dragons and some other options like that, and then can tankshock our way to victory when you need to claim objectives.

They also make for interesting battles! None of this IG stuff of setting up your forces and never moving anything or a straightforward rush. Eldar go all over the map and do all manner of tricky things. My games tend to be very different.

It's hard to be that sort of good guy if 40k, and that might give the imperium too much credit. Eldar are of course famous for helping humanity in that way. However eventually the farseer tends to have to choose between loyalty to the humans and eldar lives...and that usually isn't even a choice.

Now, I could see it being reasonable that a Farseer might have a relationship like that with the particular ranking Imperial in a given location. Maybe that guys kid could eventually wipe out a Tyranid hive before it even gets in the same sector as a craftworld, and so the farseer will stick with them through that whole period of time.

So Avengers in Wave Serpents then? As a matter of interest, what would you equip them both for? Anti-Infantry, combat etc? E.g. Shuriken Cannons or Scatter lasers on the vehicle, and no extras on the avengers (thanks to assault 2 weapons) for anti-infantry, and the same + Exarch & Powers and so on for combat?

What about Guardian Jetbikes? Are they any good/worth it?

Oh, one last thing, regarding the farseer fluff, which of the major craft-worlds do you think it most likely that our particular farseer would hail from? Personally I'm thinking either Ulthwe or Iyanden (if he believed many if not all the eldar on Iyanden were dead)

Thanks.
    Last edited by Blackadder; December 31st, 2011 at 12:39.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    115 (x6)

Generally speaking, 5 Dire Avengers in a Wave Serpent with Eldar Missile Launchers is the way to go. Many if not most also give them a Shuriken Cannon and Spirit Stones as well rounding it off at a nice 200 points. The second best option is Scatter Lasers because they're really good at popping transports. It really depends on what the rest of your army is doing in conjunction with them because there is only a 5 point price difference. However, EMLs are more popular because it can also be used as a defensive weapon (8/3 or 4/4 3" blast Pinning), so you can move 12" then fire the cannon and the blast.

Fluff, generally speaking the Farseer comes from whatever craftworld you're playing. Certain craftworlds produce better psykers (Uthwe is the best), but each craftworld has it's own who lead and guide their people.
    40k: Silver Angels of Our Martyred Lady 7/2/3 - Daemons of the Great Squiggle! 3/1/0
    Fantasy: Windhost of Athel'Loren 2/0/0 - Daemons of Another Great Squiggle! 0/0/0
    Warmahordes: Legion of Everblight (Absylonia)

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

95 (x2)

Quote Originally Posted by ikbuh View Post
    Generally speaking, 5 Dire Avengers in a Wave Serpent with Eldar Missile Launchers is the way to go. Many if not most also give them a Shuriken Cannon and Spirit Stones as well rounding it off at a nice 200 points. The second best option is Scatter Lasers because they're really good at popping transports. It really depends on what the rest of your army is doing in conjunction with them because there is only a 5 point price difference. However, EMLs are more popular because it can also be used as a defensive weapon (8/3 or 4/4 3" blast Pinning), so you can move 12" then fire the cannon and the blast.

Fluff, generally speaking the Farseer comes from whatever craftworld you're playing. Certain craftworlds produce better psykers (Uthwe is the best), but each craftworld has it's own who lead and guide their people.
    Hmm, well if that's the case, the EML does seem pretty interesting... wasn't aware of Str 4 weapons being classed as defensive, I'll keep that in mind!

Ok, When I've got a free moment I'll cobble together a list and post it up for review.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

95 (x2)

And....done! My 500pt eldar list is up now if you'd like to review it.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jgascoine011 View Post

at 500points i wld consider 2 falcons with the flamer guys and a fasreer
    Negative Guardians are filled in squads of 10+ so you can not have 5.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    253 (x7)

I could tell you what models to buy so you do not waste your money. They would be as follows:

Dire avengers, wave serpents, fire dragons, farseers, and war walkers.

But i will give some even better advice..wait until 6th ed or a new codex. That way you will know what units are good in what is the future as opposed to now, because its only a matter of months as to the rumored 6th edition release.
    Eldar -APOC- 6500 Points
    Chaos Daemons -Fate Crusher- 3500 Points
    Grey knights - 1000 Points

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

95 (x2)

Thanks for the tip, but I'm not buying now anyway This is just a play-testing to see if I like them first... loooong way off buying. Well, tell a lie... I already have 2 farseer models that I got off eBay, a farseer from the seer council box, and a bonesinger - finished painting 'em the other day (well... it's been an on again off again project... but basically I finished the bases and painted the bone singers...thing that he carries...) I'll post pics soon

When as a matter of interest, is the next Eldar 'dex rumoured to be released?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast