Need help devising a 1k competitive list. - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Need help devising a 1k competitive list.

As the title says, I really need help compiling a competitive 1k list. If you have had luck with a certain build, let me know, common misconceptions, let me know. Going to my first tournament and really want to make a good show of it. No model is outside my reach and any can be acquired. I am not looking for a complete list written out for me (if you have one, then thats great) but more of a what to expect and which units/builds will allow a competitive and fun list

I look forward to hearing one and all and as always I thank you in advance.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    724 (x8)

I received a PM just before Xmas asking me to provide a 1000pt list, I came up with two lists which I consider pretty decent attempts, see below.

Quote Originally Posted by Rikimaru
    If he wants to try it out I have whipped up a couple of 1000pts lists. I have included on with a Kroot contingent and one with purely Fire warriors and a Piranha (more Mech). I think both are quite powerful for 1000pts lists and I have gone with Hammerheads because 1000pts lists tend to be infantry/elite heavy with fewer vehicles. The Hammerhead is good at taking both infantry and vehicles, I tend to find XV88's a bit redundant at 1000pts.

Here are the lists:

Semi Mech
    HQ
    Shas’El Plasma, MP, Multi and TA 97pts

Elites
    1 x XV8 with Twin linked MP and Flamer 47pts

2 x XV8 with Twin linked MP and TA 106pts

2 x XV8 with Twin linked MP and TA 106pts

Troops
    Fire Warriors x6 60pts

Devilfish with DP 85pts

Kroot x 12 84 pt

Kroot x12 84 pts

Heavy
    Hammerhead with railgun, multi, DP and BC 165pts

Hammerhead with railgun, multi, DP and BC 165pts
    999pts

Mech list
    HQ
    Shas'El with MP, Plasma and multi 87pts

Elites
    2 x XV8 Deathrains with TL MP and Flamer 94pts

2 x XV8 Fireknives with MP, PL and Multi 124pts

Troops
    6 x Fire Warriors (pulse rifles) 60pts
    Devilfish with gundrones and disruption 85pts

6 x Fire Warriors (pulse rifles) 60pts
    Devilfish with gundrones and disruption 85pts

Fast attack
    Piranha with gundrones,disruption, TA and Fusion 75pts

Heavy
    Hammerhead with railgun, burst cannons, multi and disruption 165pts
    Hammerhead with railgun, burst cannons, multi and disruption 165pts
    1000pts
    The first list is more a mixed Mech/foot list that relies on having more troops choices to weather the opponents fire while shooting from range with the Hammerhead. and XV8 units, just make sure you have the Fire Warrior units in reserve or cover. The second list is pure mech which relies on the Devilfish and Piranha to keep the FW units alive.
    Both lists have lots of fire power for 1000pts but I prefer the second list because it is rare to see 1000pt lists with five hard to kill vehicles, strength 10 weaponry, missile pods and plasma. To my mind the second list is a competitive as Tau get at 1000pts.
    Last edited by Rikimaru; January 8th, 2012 at 11:37.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    72 (x2)

Wow. I shit you not rikki I made the exact same list to come post. Then read your 2nd list. I guess great minds think alike? Yah. List #2 is exactly what I would bring to 1000 pts. You have everything you need. Read up on tau tactica so you learn things like how to block with your piranha etc. And how to maximize your jsj as well as Target priorities. You then just need to practice. The more unusual scenarios you see the better prepared you are. Also for a tournament learn the rules of your opponents armies. You don't want to be caught with your pants down assuming that group of ork boys that are 18" away can't assault you.
    Last edited by scottyde; January 7th, 2012 at 12:29.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

WOW, amazing lists and thanks for the quick replies. I think I am gonna go and buy the parts I need to complete the 2nd list and then practice, practice and more practice. As well as squeezing in some painting and reading tactica.

Thanks again for helping me HOPEFULLY give a good show at the tournament 'For the Greater Good' :-)

As far back in Hammer and Anvil as I can go.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If you're new to the Tau, you may want to skip out on the Piranha- they're easily destroyed by the barest anti-tank firepower, and perhaps not the easiest unit for a novice player. Some Kroot are essential if you want to speedbump a (usually) non-mech assault army like Tyranids or Orks, and you may want to throw some Markerlights in as well. Those can seriously come in handy in higher-point games.

But mech-Tau is probably the way to go as we await the new Codex. That, and Crisis-spam.
    Tau Empire - 4000 Points: 23W/6D/0L - Ko'vash Shi, Tau'va!
    Inquisition - 2250 Points: 9W/2D/0L - They are the eye that sleepeth not.
    Necrons - 3000 Points: 13W/0D/0L - Death stands above me, whispering low...

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    724 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by Shas'elMont'yr View Post
    If you're new to the Tau, you may want to skip out on the Piranha- they're easily destroyed by the barest anti-tank firepower, and perhaps not the easiest unit for a novice player. Some Kroot are essential if you want to speedbump a (usually) non-mech assault army like Tyranids or Orks, and you may want to throw some Markerlights in as well. Those can seriously come in handy in higher-point games.

But mech-Tau is probably the way to go as we await the new Codex. That, and Crisis-spam.
    First of all the OP is not asking about higher point games.
    Secondly kroot do not fit in the second list, the dynamics of the list does not gel with Kroot. The list relies on mobility and the vehicles to keep the scoring units safe, very few 1000pts lists can deal with the sheer amount of armour on display in the list It has 2 vehicles at AV13, 2 at AV12 and one at AV11 all with disruption pods, very hard for any opponent to deal with.

You have to ask just what would Kroot add to the second list? Would they blockade? No because the Fire Warriors are either in the Devilfish moving around and away from the limited anti tank of the enemy or they are in reserve. Will they be infiltrating? Again, not really, why what would it accomplish. Can they destroy armour? Well not with STR4 they won't. So basically they will be stood on the field waiting for a target to get in range and possibly rapid fire or assault them and most importantly the opponent can actually afford to ignore them, not very useful overall.

The Piranha on the other hand is a very useful anti tank hunter and blocker of vehicles and cannot be ignored (especially at 1000pts where the vehicles are usually of the lower AV type. Also unlike the Kroot it cannot be tank shocked away and it is a threat to any armour.
    It can move with and keep up with the Devilfish and can present itself as a wall between any unit getting close to the Devilfish or Hammerheads. The other big point is you want the opponent shooting at the Piranha and with the Disruption pod it is actually more resilient than you think, yes you may well lose it but that is not a bad thing if you are playing it as it should played. The Piranha adds a lot of midfield control because it is a threat to any vehicle based unit that approaches it and is as good at blocking as the single unit of Kroot.

Why would you be worrying about non-mech foot armies when playing the Mech Tau list? The lists is actually better geared to survive against a foot list then the first because it is mobile and can move away, leading the foot units a merry dance and good luck popping the DF in an assault. Piranhas are pretty good at surviving assaults and you would gain precisely nothing taking markerlights in its stead.

You would get 6 Pathfinders for the same price and yet you would gain very little, 3 of the XV8's are BS4 or twin linked and the Hammerheads are already BS4. The other big problem is that one unit of pathfinders never last long simply because ML units only work if you have multiple markerlight sources as this forces the opponent to split fire to remove the multiple ML units which conversely makes each unit more survivable . At 1000pts you cannot do this and as a consequence you can be assured the markerlights will be gone to quickly to be useful.
    Both lists are optimised to perform as semi or full mech at 1000pts, you are not wrong about the utility of Kroot and markerlights as such in larger games but they do not belong in the second list (ML's don't belong in either list or any 1000pt to be honest).
    Last edited by Rikimaru; January 9th, 2012 at 13:11.

As far back in Hammer and Anvil as I can go.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Rikimaru View Post
    First of all the OP is not asking about higher point games.
    Secondly kroot do not fit in the second list, the dynamics of the list does not gel with Kroot..
    I'm sorry for assuming, but it appears the OP is looking at starting Tau- and I know of no players who don't expand at some point!

And on the Kroot front, of course you wouldn't have a Kroot speedbump in a mech list, I just noticed that no one explained why Kroot were useful. That kind of information might be nice for a new player, no?

For Piranhas, I know they're the best tank hunters we have, but I also know many novice Tau players who can't fathom how use them effectively. If the OP is entering into a tournament, maybe he should stick with simpler strategies first?

And remember, I wasn't responding to your lists, Rikimaru. While I can easily see why they're the best the OP or anyone could field (I know from experience it's hard to beat low-point, mech Tau ) at 1000 points, I felt like highlighting a few other things that could be useful. For instance, in a semi-mech list, still I'd field a few Pathfinders to give my XV8s a shooting edge. If I was fighting marines, a few BS4 or 5 Plasma Rifles can go a long way.
    Tau Empire - 4000 Points: 23W/6D/0L - Ko'vash Shi, Tau'va!
    Inquisition - 2250 Points: 9W/2D/0L - They are the eye that sleepeth not.
    Necrons - 3000 Points: 13W/0D/0L - Death stands above me, whispering low...

+ Reply to Thread