What would you do? - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What would you do?

Hey guys,

Quick question here. I've been getting a few 1000 pt games in (due to model limitation) recently and i've been wondering. So far I've only played IG so that may be the problem, but i'm running a fairly kan wallish list

Big Mek -kff

10 lootas

3 killa kans w/ rocket launchers
    3 killa kans w/ grotzookas

30 shoota boys w/ Nob BP+ PK
    30 slugga boys w/ Nob BP + PK
    10 grots w/ runtherder

Now what i've been noticing is that one of those 30 man squads usually gets obliterated to pieces while the other is severely damaged before it makes it to the line of IG.

My question, with that list, should i make 3 squads of 20 instead? Or keep the two big blobs? I know for higher points I want to max out my squads, but i'm just not sure at this lower point. I would have to tinker it a bit to get the 3rd nob w/ pk + BP in, probably drop a few of the lootas. Any advice? Thanks guys

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    133 (x2)

This might be better off in the army list section.

Anyway, Three blobs makes it harder to hide behind 6 walkers, and also makes you un- fearless quicker

Are you running both squads every turn, or are you shooting with the shoota boyz? If you're shooting then consider just legging it towards the foe, could save you from a turn of shooting.

How are your kanz faring during these matches?
    W/D/L Rumpin' BackThumpa's WAAAGH, 38/3/21

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Break those blobs down into 20s put a pk nob in each remember those boys are just extra wounds for the nob next time you arange a battle insist on more scenery for yor orklets to hide in if your oponent is a tred head kustim mega blastas on your cans if hes inf burnas apart from that there is not much room for supourt with such few models

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

if your opponent is playing to IG strengths then then he is probably in some form playing a sit back and shoot ya to death strategy. Big ork squads will naturally take a deal of attrition before reaching their targets and taking a mech army against is difficult to win with.

Ask your opponent if he doesn't mind you playing proxies while you figure out your next purchases.

I found that the best two weapons we have against IG are outflanking kommandos and a very expensive 3 man nob bikersquad.

At 1000 pts both of these are not feasible.

What I would try is lose the lootas and gretchin for a game and mix it up with a way overpriced but surprisingly survivable squad of 3 nob bikers with a pk and painboy. Turbo boost them to give them a 3++ then go for the tanks.

bottom line is IG are super tough and I only win 1 in 5 games against a variety of IG players.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thank you guys for all your advice, we're both pretty much non-power gamers and he's just started collecting IG so he is trying a different list every time. For the most part he doesn't seem too scared of my kans. For the most part usually 50% or more of my kans make it to his line. I think he just sees my boyz as the biggest threat.

I will try the 3 squads tonight as I have a game against him again. In my mind I Just see 3 squads being better for objective grabbing, but the two big blobs being more surivable (well at least one) so I guess we shall see tonight! I'll give feedback if I can.

Edit: Well, i actually ended up switching opponents and played a SM general. Instead of my boys he focused on my kans, eliminating all but 1. Overall it was a lot different experience having the two mobs still alive on turn 7. I didn't end up using the 3 squads of 20 and instead kept with the 2 squads of 30. So I guess another night I will have to try it! haha
    Last edited by shabang22; January 19th, 2012 at 04:38.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    65 (x1)

I would just stick with the 2 units of 30 but have both with shootas. What unit does the IG player usually wipe out? Do you always run with the choppa ones and shoot with the other? With two units of shoots first turn just move 6 and the run since they only have 18 inch range. Then just open fire, the AP 6 doesn't negate there save (though they are probably in cover) but the S4 makes up for it. Orks can't out shoot IG anymore, but all their guns are wounding on 3's or 2's to make up for it. Also I like having 3 big shootas in a unit of 30. Math hammer you hit 3 of nine and should wound 3 more times than not, if they are caught out of cover, they are dead. Guard cost 5pt per model so buy killing 3 you make the points back and that can be one turn! and the 36 inch range comes in handy.
    Repainting Orks not sure how many points yet
    Warriors of Chaos shelved until further notice

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by shabang22 View Post
    Thank you guys for all your advice, we're both pretty much non-power gamers and he's just started collecting IG so he is trying a different list every time. For the most part he doesn't seem too scared of my kans. For the most part usually 50% or more of my kans make it to his line. I think he just sees my boyz as the biggest threat.

I will try the 3 squads tonight as I have a game against him again. In my mind I Just see 3 squads being better for objective grabbing, but the two big blobs being more surivable (well at least one) so I guess we shall see tonight! I'll give feedback if I can.

Edit: Well, i actually ended up switching opponents and played a SM general. Instead of my boys he focused on my kans, eliminating all but 1. Overall it was a lot different experience having the two mobs still alive on turn 7. I didn't end up using the 3 squads of 20 and instead kept with the 2 squads of 30. So I guess another night I will have to try it! haha
    Lets be honest kanz are cruddy unless its a true kan wall they pop of pretty much any weapon above a laz rifel heavy weapons teams rip em to pieces id drop em or proxy as deff dreads i use them becouse i like the models in a power game i wouldent take em at all.
    http://www.librarium-online.com/foru...od-idea-3.html<-LOOK
    WWWAAAAGGGGGHHHHHHHAAAHHHAAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The slugga and the shoota units are both in there so I could try them out, and to be honest the shootas definitely are the better choice. I know i've seen it on here a million times but I had to try it out for myself. I think in reflection of the games I have played I believe it is my placement of the units. I believe majority of the games that have been played so far is dawn of war. So in reflection I will usually put out the gretchin on the objective and 1 of the units on the board. And it seems to always be the unit on the bored first turn gets wiped first. I'll have to try putting down both units of boys in the future and letting the grotz walk in later from reserve.

Thoughts? Advice? Comments on deployment types has been on my mind a lot, i guess it is all situational though depending on what army your opponent has and his tendencies

+ Reply to Thread