Red Harvest Ascendant - Warriors - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    720 (x8)

Red Harvest Ascendant - Warriors

Wellcome to Red Harvest Ascendant, which is, in essence, the new "unit of the week" discussions thread. The last weeks discussion can be found here:

http://www.librarium-online.com/foru...aetorians.html
    http://www.librarium-online.com/foru...-crypteks.html

This weeks unit in ascendance is Warriors.

Ah, the humble Warrior... or, in the light of new codex fluff, our civilian-soldier. These guys are, in essence, our Imperial Guardsmen platoons, our Boyz or, if you like, our Guardians. Against that light I think they are pretty damn awesome. Statline is almost like marine with the exception of I2, 4+ save and massive Ld10 (think about it, our civilians are in their new incarnation, better lead than damn Spesh Mahreens...)

I love Warriors. I always have. I also think the new Warrior is actually better than the old one. Yes, our saves dropped, but RP makes up for it and we get a whole lot of more Warriors with our points. And, since our bolter-equivalents (the Gauss Flayers), can still glance-lock vehicles I think our Warrior is really stronger than basic Tactical marines in everything except assaults.

Thats enough from my part now. The question is: How do you feel about Warriors? Any recent experiences, good or bad, to share?

Revenant Moon Necrons: (W/L/D) 0/1/0 (6th edition: 13/2/2)(5th edition: 14/6/4)(3rd edition Codex: 16/4/7)
    XIX Legion: (W/L/D) 0/0/0 (5th edition: 14/12/2)(5th edition Codex: 4/3/0)
    Black Legion: (W/L/D) 1/0/0 (6th edition: 2/3/0)
    Something Wicked... Reikwald Beastmen: (W/L/D) 10/4/1

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Tabletop Terraformer Tzeentch Lord's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    109 (x4)

My Warriors have usually been pretty reliable, I always take a squad of 10-15 of them to back up my Immortals. They've performed quite well most of the time, occasionally even performing miracles (like when they beat a brood of Genestealers in close combat!). Importantly though, they make up the numbers!

When led by an Overlord or Lord with Warscythe and Res Orb, I find that a unit of warriors is quite a potent unit. The points drop they had from the previous codex is great though, they definately needed that. Overall, although the Warriors aren't amazing, they serve a function and as long as you don't expect too much from them, they're a solid choice.
    "Peace, through superior firepower."

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    94 (x1)

Warriors... don't leave home without them. I always play with two squads, size depending on point-level. Even two 10-man squads are great for sitting on objectives or slowly pushing forward. They'll weather bolter-fire like it's nothing and, if in cover, even special weapons in the group. Then they'll get right back up, return Rapid Fire, and tear the opponent apart. I actually prefer them over Immortals unless I have the points, as they're cheap and efficient. If you have room, throw in a Lord w/ Orb and they become even more ridiculous.

So, in summary, Warriors are the staple of your army and you should always take at least one squad.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    291 (x5)

I plan to run 1 min-max squad in an Ark (2x HoD w/ Pulse) and 10x-15x on foot, or 2x10x on foot, points depending, supported by a flying circus. At 2k+ points (still a long ways off), expand this to 2x Arks and 2-3 units on foot, still supported by a flying circus. This is especially well suited to run beside a Scarab farm.. so many free models!

I think my favorite thing about them, by far, is their points cost. I freaking love the Royal Court, and can easily justify 2x Bargelords for dedicated anti-armour and PW/PF sniping, also allowing me to run 2 Court members per Warrior unit -- they're cheap enough to run some very interesting combinations with them! Outside of specific unit builds (ex, flying circus, or Veiltek + Orblord w/ Guard, or the newfangled Veiltek + Deathmark unit, etc..) Warriors are cheap, durable, and diverse (Gauss) enough to be host to the really interesting (non build-specific) Court combos. Min/max for dual HoDestruction, Gazetek and Transmogtek for base sitting, Orblord + Transmogtek for an unkillable unit of 15x on foot with Ark support. The list goes on!

Also, I played Tau a while back (second army, before I sold off my whole lot and began Orks) and my expeirence then was that I2 and 4+ was much more durable against non-cc dedicated units than people give them credit for. And Tau are T3 and don't have 5+ RAP. I expect Necron Warriors to be even more capable of winning a war of attrition, provided their Ld10 keeps them in combat. I'm not too worried about them there, except for cc dedicated units, but if such a unit gets the charge, you can expect to lose the combat regardless of the unit being charged. With RAP and Ark support, you will win the war of attrition in a gun-fight as well (at which, they can take on anything save maybe high T low Sv MCs)!

(I should probably note at the end of my posts, I appologize for potential run-ons and nonsequitur thoughts. I'm not a morning person, and it's morning until noon )

Cheers!

EDIT: Also, Polaria, sent you a PM
    I've recently become a fan of this thing called Dubstep. And you should too.
    Datsik & Flux Pavillion - Crunch (Youtube)
    Da Moo Kowz is da drinkinest Orks of dem all!

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    720 (x8)

I run two squads (5+10) in 500 point list, two squads (10+10) in 1000 point list and three squads (10+10+10) in 1500 points list. The old codex rule-of-thumb was having 10 Warriors for every 500 points and I find that unless you are running Immortals the old rule fits the Newcrons too.

Now I've never used Warriors in larger squads than ten. That, I admit, is a carryover from old Codex where Warriors cost a bit too much to take the risk of losing more than 10 in sweeping advance. Now, its more about what fits into Ghost Ark, for I love to use the Arks. How are the larger squads treating you? Do you find the increased size usefull?
    Last edited by Polaria; January 19th, 2012 at 16:39.
    Revenant Moon Necrons: (W/L/D) 0/1/0 (6th edition: 13/2/2)(5th edition: 14/6/4)(3rd edition Codex: 16/4/7)

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

102 (x5)

Quote Originally Posted by Polaria View Post
    I run two squads (5+10) in 500 point list, two squads (10+10) in 1000 point list and three squads (10+10+10) in 1500 points list. The old codex rule-of-thumb was having 10 Warriors for every 500 points and I find that unless you are running Immortals the old rule fits the Newcrons too.

Now I've never used Warriors in larger squads than ten. That, I admit, is a carryover from old Codex where Warriors cost a bit too much to take the risk of losing more than 10 in sweeping advance. Now, its more about what fits into Ghost Ark, for I love to use the Arks. How are the larger squads treating you? Do you find the increased size usefull?
    Larger size is stupid in 5th edition. RUMORS have it some sort of steadfast will be implemented into 6th edition. Something like, if you OUTNUMBER your opponent you use full leadership. That said 20 man squads might be useful again, but we'll see.
    "There is only do, or do not. There is no try." - Yoda

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    291 (x5)

Quote Originally Posted by Dark Trainer View Post
    Larger size is stupid in 5th edition. RUMORS have it some sort of steadfast will be implemented into 6th edition. Something like, if you OUTNUMBER your opponent you use full leadership. That said 20 man squads might be useful again, but we'll see.
    Would be nice. There's a serious breach of continuity between rules and fluff when a single 4 attack IC inflicts a few more wounds than Necrons, they flee, and the whole squad is wiped as the IC magically gains 10-15 extra attacks. It's always irked me the way 5e handles it, would make much more sense if combat victory gave morale bonuses in later rounds of combat, and we went back to units only fleeing when they're outnumbered.
    I've recently become a fan of this thing called Dubstep. And you should too.
    Datsik & Flux Pavillion - Crunch (Youtube)
    Da Moo Kowz is da drinkinest Orks of dem all!

Tabletop Terraformer Tzeentch Lord's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

109 (x4)

Quote Originally Posted by Polaria View Post
    My Warrior units tend to be 10 plus however many more I can get with leftover points. Since warriors are one of the cheapest things in the codex, there's not much else you can buy with spare points. I'll admit though, I never use a unit of more than about 13-15. As has been said, they're still a lot of points to lose if (when) they get swept. :/

I don't know how great such a rumoured 'outnumbering' rule would be, sounds like it might make Orks even worse to fight than they already are!
    "Peace, through superior firepower."

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    94 (x1)

Quote Originally Posted by Dark Trainer View Post
    I have to disagree. Sure, you run the risk of getting swept in CC because of crappy rolls, but that risk stands for every group. If anything, fielding a 20-man squad gives you several benefits:
    • Less likely to break from shooting. You roll to break after 5 have died, rather than a mere 3.
    • Less likely to break from CC. You have more chances at a retort (more bodies still standing) giving you a better chance of evening the odds for Combat Resolution.
    • More likely to avoid being wiped out. Reanimation requires a unit left to rejoin; if you lose 10 from a 10-man, you're screwed... losing 10 from a 20-man and you might just get back 3-4 of them.

I've fielded larger sizes and it's worked wonders. They take a lot more concentration to take down, have more opportunity to get back up, and become a nuisance while my heavy-hitters move in on their targets. Sure, the whole swept-in-CC thing can be a pain, but when has it not (regardless of size)?

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

720 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by XIII View Post
    I have to disagree. Sure, you run the risk of getting swept in CC because of crappy rolls, but that risk stands for every group.
    Except Grey Knights, who are Fearless
    And Daemons, who are Fearless
    And Tyranids, who are Fearless when Synapsis is near
    And Orks, who are Fearless when in large enough groups
    And Marines of each and every color, who have ATSKNF...

I don't think the real problem is that Necron groups of every size and shape can get swept, but the fact that a good 50-90% of all other armies (depending on your local scene) is immune to Sweeping Advance in some way or another...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast