Ork Civil Wars (Civil Waaghs?) How do you design Orks to stomp their own kind? - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ork Civil Wars (Civil Waaghs?) How do you design Orks to stomp their own kind?

Greetings and salutations to my fellow warbosses. My 2 friends and I are going to be playing a campaign this summer; each playing Orks. The theme is Ork civil waagh and that got me to wondering, just how do you tailor a list to beat your fellow greenskins? The only loose constraint is that one player is playing with his boyz all mounted in battlewagons, and the other is doing more of a traditional kanz wall/slog strategy. That doesn't mean I can't have any sloggers or battlewagons, it just means I can't go solo one way or the other. That leaves me with trukk themed speed freeks and a general, balanced hybrid list.

That being said, I'm open to all suggestions. I think the capaign will be a complete blast and certainly provides some interesting tactical dilemmas facing my own army.

So, who should I be kickin' outta their bunkz to ride wit me on da waagh for all da teef?

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    65 (x1)

Well stuff that has a high amount of shots would do well. Burnas, Nobs with out power claws since they have a higher initiative and boys only have a 6+ save, Bikes with there guns having 3 shots each, Grotzooks because of the templates and then kannons again because of the templates.

Basically high amount of shots or templates. Though tanks and trukks will be blowing up left and right with the amount of power claws each of you will have.
    Repainting Orks not sure how many points yet
    Warriors of Chaos shelved until further notice

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

First, to the Mods; I am about to post a list here. I would respectfully contend that it does belong in this thread so we don't have the same topic spread over 2 threads in 2 different sections. That being said, youz da bossez.

Now, back on topic, I tried very hard to create a mechanized list to meet the requirements I set out for myself. It just wasn't going to be competitive in the context. I could launch into an exhaustive statistical explanation but what it comes down to is my trukk boyz getting the charge, wiping out big shoota mobz and then getting subsequently vaporized by the neighboring mobz on the next turn. It just isn't going to work, especially in a 3 player game where I'd have to survive 2 subsequent shooting phases instead of one.

So the following is a VERY unconventional list with very counter-intuitive choices, terrifyingly few powerklaws and yes, gretchin. Please let me know what you think:

Anti-Ork Orks

HQ

Old Zogwort- XXX

Big Mek: KFF- 85

TROOPS

Shoota Boyz x30: 3 Big Shootas, Nob with PK- 230

Shoota Boyz x30: 3 Big Shootas, Nob with PK- 230

Gretchin x15- 45

Gretchin x10- 30

Boyz x10- 60
    Trukk: RPJ- 40

ELITES

Lootas x15- 225

Lootas x15- 225

Lootas x15- 225

FAST ATTACK

Wartrakk x2: Skorcha- 80

Wartrakk x2: Skorcha- 80

HEAVY SUPPORT

Lobbas x3: 5 Additional Grot krew, Runtherd- 100

Total: 2000

Ok, keep in mind it's 3 player. My strategy revolves around a defensive posture. I will obscure my single trukk, lobbas and skorcha trakks as best as possible; attempt to place as many lootas in cover as I can, and leave the boyz to their devices.

I took Zogwort for one reason alone; the 50/50 chance I turn Ghazzy into a squig. If I win the roll off for Zogwort's power, I turn the game, simple as that. Ghazzy will be leading the battleagon list and he's a monster. I'd rather they be led by a squig.

The lobbas/lootas are meant to exploit the theoretical lack of range in my opponents armies (shoota horde/kanz wall + battlewagons/kommando list). So it's a good, ranged base of fire that should be able to survive for much of the game.

The gretchin and wartrukk are meant as objective stealers. There is likely to be one major and one minor objective, that's it. So they're low priority targets. The trukk hides until the final phase and makes a run to capture/contest.

The skorchas are specifically anti-kommando. Wiping out his kommando mobs in cover with cheap trakks should foil his plans. If all goes well; my superior range whittles my opponents down, and I can manage at least a contest at the end. I would prefer to go with my opponent's shoota horde/kanz wall strategy but he called it first, so I'm left scratching the bottom of the tactical barrel here. Help?

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

72 (x2)

An option that you haven't explored is bikes. They can be competetive and look very stunning on the table top. I think the list you posted works given the "no stepping on others themes" constraint but if I had to make a themed list and couldn't do battlewagons or kans I would go straight up bikes. You could out maneuver both armies with your speed and win localized fights by being able to overwhelm one flank at a time. I'll fiddle with a list idea.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

72 (x2)

No Name (1996pts)
    2000pt Orks 5th Ed (200 Roster (Standard)

Selections:

* HQ (180pts)

* Wazdakka Gutsmek (180pts)

* Troops (1196pts)

* Nobz (Troops) (436pts)
    * Nob (81pts)
    Bosspole (5pts), Cybork Body (5pts), Power Klaw (25pts), Slugga, Stikkbombz (1pts), Warbike (25pts)
    * Nob (91pts)
    Cybork Body (5pts), Power Klaw (25pts), Slugga, Stikkbombz (1pts), Waagh Banner (15pts), Warbike (25pts)
    * Nob (56pts)
    Big Choppa (5pts), Cybork Body (5pts), Slugga, Stikkbombz (1pts), Warbike (25pts)
    * Nob (61pts)
    Big Choppa (5pts), Cybork Body (5pts), Shoota/Scorcha Kombi-Weapon (5pts), Stikkbombz (1pts), Warbike (25pts)
    * Nob (56pts)
    Choppa, Cybork Body (5pts), Shoota/Scorcha Kombi-Weapon (5pts), Stikkbombz (1pts), Warbike (25pts)
    * Nob (56pts)
    Choppa, Cybork Body (5pts), Shoota/Scorcha Kombi-Weapon (5pts), Stikkbombz (1pts), Warbike (25pts)
    * Painboy (35pts)
    Grot Orderly (5pts)

* Warbikers (Troops) (190pts)
    6x Warbiker (150pts)
    * Nob (40pts)
    Bosspole (5pts), Power Klaw (25pts)

6x Warbiker (150pts)
    * Nob (40pts)

6x Warbiker (150pts)
    * Nob (40pts)

6x Warbiker (150pts)
    * Nob (40pts)

* Fast Attack (620pts)

* Deffkoptas (250pts)
    * Deffkopta (70pts)
    Buzzsaw (25pts), Twin-Linked Rokkit Launcha (10pts)
    * Deffkopta (45pts)
    Twin-Linked Rokkit Launcha (10pts)
    * Deffkopta (45pts)
    * Deffkopta (45pts)
    * Deffkopta (45pts)

* Deffkoptas (250pts)
    * Deffkopta (70pts)
    Buzzsaw (25pts), Twin-Linked Rokkit Launcha (10pts)
    * Deffkopta (45pts)
    * Deffkopta (45pts)
    * Deffkopta (45pts)
    * Deffkopta (45pts)

* Warbuggies (120pts)
    * Warbuggy (40pts)
    Skorcha (10pts)
    * Warbuggy (40pts)
    Skorcha (10pts)
    * Warbuggy (40pts)
    Skorcha (10pts)

Created with BattleScribe (http://www.battlescribe.net)

In the nob squad I couldn't make the painboy have a bike so I made the squad cost the same by adding another nob on bike. It should be 6 strong individually equipped and strong enough to take on any other ork unit you can face.4+/5+ and fnp with waaaugh banner and individual equipment = deathstar. This normally isn't safe because most meta has meltaspam or str 8 AP3 or str9 AP 2 orks lack both of these in any significant or reliable way. This squad is then safe to hit who you want them to. Left the burna tracks because they will help massively against swarms but so will 21 twin linked str 5 shots from 18" on all of your troops. That will destroy orks the massive deffkopta squads are to nuke kans or armour. And being on jet bikes they fit with your high mobility theme. If they have annoying units like a mega nob squad you can blast them with rokkits or use them to burst open wagons with side armour shots. Just my ideas.
    Last edited by scottyde; February 12th, 2012 at 12:11.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks for the very detailed response. The only thing that worries me about a pure bike army is the inability to really hold ground. The last round of the campaign is going to be the leading player holding ground from the other two in heavy terrain. If I were the leading player to that point; I might be screwed.

Anyway, we'll see what 6th has to offer and I'll revisit the list thoughts; thanks!
    "They have us surrounded? Good! Now we can fire in every direction; those bastards won't get away this time!"
    -Chesty Puller

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

72 (x2)

Holding ground isn't an ork speciality in general as they don't gunline well. If you were given that objective with a bike list play offensive. Rush out on one flank strong crush that flank. Then converge on the other side. If its something like they have double the points and you have to hold your ground then it doesn't matter as no ork army will do that well. You need to be on the charge with orks because of furious charge making such a massive difference. With bikes you get to choose and you will win seeing as you get to massively soften any squad on the turn you initiate also your numbers are small enough that you won't wipe squads on the charge. Especially with 30 squads. So you get to finish on their turn then rinse repeat.
    Last edited by scottyde; February 14th, 2012 at 04:39.

+ Reply to Thread