Librarium Online Forums banner

Noob looking for army advice.

476 views 6 replies 5 participants last post by  Bladeweaver 
#1 ·
I'm just starting out and deciding to go Necrons because they're lore is awesome and I like the flavor of their units and race overall, however lacking any play experience at all I was curious as to what army/unit combinations went well together for our race and just some things I haven't seen that fit together yet. For the most part I was considering basing an army around a lot of infantry because it's litterally a wall of death walking at you with guass weaponry.

My current rough plan:

Several squads of 10 warriors apeice
Immortals in a more rear line to move up and tear some kids apart.
An overlord (wargear suggestions appreciated) with a royal court that can buff up squads.
Stalkers to provide heavier weapon coverage
A monolith or two in reserve for deep striking and spawning units
Doomsday cannon for an extra boom

That's my current rough idea, plus some vehicles and deathmarks for a bit of harassment and distraction while my other forces manuver into better positions. Any suggestions or refinement would be greatly appreciated.

See less See more
#2 · (Edited)
Well, first question is, do you have any models? If you don't, I highly suggest waiting for the (rumored) battleforce being released on the 25th(ish?). It'll probably be in the $125 USD range and for that you get 20 warriors, 5 Immortals/Deathmarks, 5 Scarabs and a Doomsday/Ghost Ark. Pick up 2 of those and one of the new HQ blisters and you are set. You can do pretty much what you want with those models.

Of course you CAN slog, and with Imotekh and/or solar pulses you can do so safely and effectively. However, Necrons are designed to be mobile, resilient shooters. They just got some of the best vehicles in the game. And the models should be coming onthe 25th as well. Get the battleforces, slog in the beginning and use the arks in their doomsday version. Then when you get a feel for the game (just in time to relearn everything for 6th edition :p), acquire some more armor and mech up.

My .02

#4 ·
I'd definitely recommend saving up for the battleforce. Generally your savings on them ends up being near $30 (assuming a pessimistic price of $110 for the battleforce), and then if you pick it up from an online retailer, you can save 20% on top of that. So if you're hard up on cash, it's well worth the wait as it'll make your dollar go much further.

Or, another way to save a good chunk of change is to pick up some models on eBay. You shouldn't have much problem at finding some of the old models at 50% if you look around for them.

#5 ·
When I started out, I just began with a small 400 point combat patrol (although this was before the new codex). My current combat patrol consists of 10 Immortals, 1 Annihilation Barge, 6 bases of Scarabs and 1 Spyder. Although the Immortals can just as easily be Warriors instead (12 warriors is half the price of 10 Immortals! plus you get the Scarabs).

I definately recommend starting out this way, as it means you don't need to spend huge amounts of money on trying to assemble an entire 1000+ point army right from the outset. The other benefit is that you will be able to play lots of quick games, giving you lots of opportunity to learn the main rules (unless you are already familiar with them) and get used to some of the Necron special rules without having to play full length games.

#6 ·
Yea I talked to a guy at a store in town and he confirmed that they're getting the battle force and gave me a rough estimate on the price, awesomely I get paid three days before the set comes out so if all goes well I should be able to start with that and order an HQ online or pick up the one in the command barge package. The combo will have me a bit above 500 pts but it's a solid place to start, thanks all for the input.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.