Hammerhead Weapon Choices ? - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The ion cannon is the best choice by far, it is heavy 3 and is like 30 less points than the ordinance blast railgun. Like the other guy said, railguns are better suited for broadsides

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

depends on who you play more.

marines necrons chaos, you would want to use ion cannon

eldar, dark eldar, nids, orks, and ig, you would want to use a rail gun

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    36 (x3)

Burst Cannons mean an extra weapon compared to the SMS and fires 6 times instead of 4 and the Ion Cannon is great against heavy infantry (Die! Stupid space marine&#33 as I fires more than the Railgun and a Submuntion is not strong enought to ingnore power armour, however the Railgun is much better ate anti-tank work and taking out light infantry and smart missiles are good in terrain filled maps as they need no line of sight...
    You cannot win, for to fight us is to give us power.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The railgun is your only choice when playing guardsmen. Enough power to destroy a tank, but also enough to obliterate giant sections of his men.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

In regard to railguns for broadsides, broadsides don't get the submunition ammo, hence they cannot use the only ordnance weapon available to the Tau. I don't know about you, but I'm a template-lover myself. :w

While the benefit of 3 shots over 1 is obvious, remember that the ion cannon's S7 cannot glance 14 armor at all, while the railgun's S10 glances on 4+ and penetrate on 5+. In the end, imo, the enemy's non-vehicles should decide what to use: if they have power armor or high toughness, the ion cannon might bag a few more, whereas the railgun's ordnance can wipe out quite a few more of the tighly-compressed mobs of 4+ or worse saves.

Either way, having 3 broadsides with shield generators could never hurt, except point-wise.
    Every whisper of the future from the Warp speaks of a hundred battles lost, a thousand lives devoured and a million enemies born. -- Inquisitor Lord Babel

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Note that the submnition is not an ordinance weapon, It just uses an ordinance marker. Thus it can move and fire. V.Nasty against IG armies.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Originally posted by agressiveskater5558@Sep 27 2003, 09:13
    The ion cannon is the best choice by far, it is heavy 3 and is like 30 less points than the ordinance blast railgun. Like the other guy said, railguns are better suited for broadsides
    suited! hahahahahhahaha Well, i use railgun on both my hammerheads, becouse... Well, there are mainly three people I'm going to play against, one fields an army of craftworld eldar, one is a tank-toting IG and one is going to start with orks (wether he likes it or not ).

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

hey, it says a pair of SMS systems and not T/L SMS. Is it implied, or does it get two SMS like the burst cannons? I guess its obvious it isnt... but i guess i can hope

Crap, i just read what i said, and im stupiud, lol, nevermind, just one sms system... lol

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The railgun on the hammerhead is one of the best weapons in the game. I'll tell you, its wonderful to find that opportunity, even when playing against space marines, when there are just too many units too close to eachother, just asking for the subunition. Being able to hit 6 space marines with the strength 6 weapon is very tempting.

I also play the burst cannons, becasue I'd rather have 6 str 5 shots than 4, and they're cheaper. Its only 10 points that you save, but you're not going to use this system too much. Its a good idea to keep the hammerhead moving, because then the bad guys can't get a penetrating hit. You can also get that glancing reroll thing, so being immobilized is not as scary. And if you can move the hammerhead around so well, then the extra 6" range is not going to matter, nor is terrain going to get in your way.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think its the no LOS needed that matters. It lets you engage enemy forces even when there's a devastator squad just itching to gun down your hammerhead nearby, because you can park behind a building etc.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast