staff of light vs hyperphase sword - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    57 (x2)

staff of light vs hyperphase sword

A necon lord/overlord comes equipped with a staff of light (S5, AP3, 12" range) but can switch it for a power weapon for free. I have a overlord and a lord in a squad of 15 warroirs. What do you think is the better combination for the squad, one of each, two staffs or two power weapons? I am thinking of having two power weapons just in case the squad gets charged by a unit that survives the shooting of the unit.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    102 (x5)

Quote Originally Posted by thatrandomguy View Post
    A necon lord/overlord comes equipped with a staff of light (S5, AP3, 12" range) but can switch it for a power weapon for free. I have a overlord and a lord in a squad of 15 warroirs. What do you think is the better combination for the squad, one of each, two staffs or two power weapons? I am thinking of having two power weapons just in case the squad gets charged by a unit that survives the shooting of the unit.
    Warscythes are king! They're like powerfists with initiative 2. But yes, Powerweapons are god sends if you end up assaulted!
    "There is only do, or do not. There is no try." - Yoda

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    291 (x5)

Indeed, Warscythes ARE king! But I often find myself in need of a 10 point diet for my list (and it is almost always exactly 10 points for some reason), especially in a list with an abundance of Lords. If you cannot spare points for the Warscythe, Hyperphase is definitely preferred over a Staff of Light. The casualties inflicted by either weapon are just "meh" but when it comes to close combat, "meh" can be enough to win a round (or worse case, enough to make that Ld mod for losing manageable enough that the unit shouldn't break anyways).

TLDR: The survival of a unit almost never boils down to an extra 1 or 2 shooting casualties, but can definitely be boiled down to an extra 1 or 2 close combat casualties. Warscythe all the way; failing that, Hyperphase!
    I've recently become a fan of this thing called Dubstep. And you should too.
    Datsik & Flux Pavillion - Crunch (Youtube)
    Da Moo Kowz is da drinkinest Orks of dem all!

Tabletop Terraformer Tzeentch Lord's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

109 (x4)

Quote Originally Posted by BossGorestompa View Post
    Warscythe all the way; failing that, Hyperphase!
    Yeah, that's what I've been doing for the past few months. Warscythes really are ace. I used the Staff of Light in one or two games I think, and I don't think I ever once got to shoot with it. And then I was assaulted (inevitably) and had nothing to hit back with. What made the situation worse was that the assaulter in one of those games was an Ork Killakan, so I couldn't even damage it. If I'd taken a Warscythe, I'd have had a chance of destroying it. :/

It's only a pity that Warscythes don't include a build in Gauss Blaster anymore, like the old Pariah ones did! I'd happily pay +15-20 points for a Warscythe like that!
    "Peace, through superior firepower."

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    720 (x8)

Powerfists ain't got nothin' on Warscythes. The scythe is better in almost every possible way, except for the fact that they can't Instant Death T4.
    Revenant Moon Necrons: (W/L/D) 0/1/0 (6th edition: 13/2/2)(5th edition: 14/6/4)(3rd edition Codex: 16/4/7)
    XIX Legion: (W/L/D) 0/0/0 (5th edition: 14/12/2)(5th edition Codex: 4/3/0)
    Black Legion: (W/L/D) 1/0/0 (6th edition: 2/3/0)
    Something Wicked... Reikwald Beastmen: (W/L/D) 10/4/1

The ORIGINAL Sniper Puss eiglepulper's Avatar
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    596 (x8)

Have to go with the crowd here and say "Stuff the AP3, give me something that will kill things in combat". I've been caught out in a couple of games with a Staff of Light, forgetting that its reincarnated format doesn't have the power weapon ability. A hyperphase sword at str5 isn't bad, especially since it's free, but if you have the points take the Warscythe for its added abilities.

To give a comparison: I always give my unit of Space Wolf Scouts a power weapon, even if they're accompanied by a Wolf Guard. It means that there is at least a back-up weapon if the WG gets killed, plus it gives my opponent something to think about when assaulting.

E.
    "Tau Commandment #226: Participants who use Velocity Trackers in the Tau Clay Pigeon Tournament will be disqualified"

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

102 (x5)

Quote Originally Posted by eiglepulper View Post
    Have to go with the crowd here and say "Stuff the AP3, give me something that will kill things in combat". I've been caught out in a couple of games with a Staff of Light, forgetting that its reincarnated format doesn't have the power weapon ability. A hyperphase sword at str5 isn't bad, especially since it's free, but if you have the points take the Warscythe for its added abilities.

To give a comparison: I always give my unit of Space Wolf Scouts a power weapon, even if they're accompanied by a Wolf Guard. It means that there is at least a back-up weapon if the WG gets killed, plus it gives my opponent something to think about when assaulting.

E.
    Yeah I do the same with my Space Marines. I never leave home without at least a power weapon! Too nice not to have.
    "There is only do, or do not. There is no try." - Yoda

+ Reply to Thread