How would you deal with an "uber" wolf lord on a wolf ? - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    34 (x2)

How would you deal with an "uber" wolf lord on a wolf ?

Good evening .

How would you deal with the following wolf lord setup ?

Wolf Lord, on thunderwolf, saga of the bear ( eternal warrior ), runic armor, storm shield, frost weapon, the WTT, and the WTN .

I haven't faced this opponent yet, so I'm looking for a basic tactic .

Thanks in advance .

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    452 (x8)

Thunderwolves, meet Wyches with shardnetts.

Then focus the rest of your force on the rest of theirs, our splinter weapons wont get past their terminator eq save, and since they have too high toughness for us to ID with lances and often a storm shield dont bother hitting them with those. Best bet is tarpit and smash apart the rest of their army.

Also hit these guys early, they're cavalry so have fleet and a large assault move, dont let them pick their targets or multi assault.
    IG Best Gen 1st overall of 10 DE 4th overall of 6
    Eldar 3rd Overall/Best General of 26--2nd Overall/Best General of 7--1st Overall/Best General of 11

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I dont know about you guys, but I have faced a unit similar to that when I played my eldar. I used a seer council with fortune, and those thunderwolves are horrid to work through or around. But I also did the same thing as noted above, I worked on the rest of his army. It was a definite challenge, due to the fact it was my first time facing SW shortly after their new release. But I think the wyches with a token or few would definitely help keep them outta your hair. Also keep an eye on where you try to focus your attacks, cause they may a dispersed enough squad, for wound allocation shenanigans. In that tar pit, I think I would favor any IC that I could to help dwindle it down. That was part of my problem against his thunder-wolves cavalry.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have killed a squad of five TWC with just hex rifles. I have four squads with two in each, one for the acothyst and one for attached homn.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hexrifles?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Indeed. Probably one of my favorite weapons in the DE arsenal. When they cause an unsaved wound they remove the wounded model from play. All be it the 2+ armor save will save most but since the hex rifle is a sniper sizes to wound are rending so a much better chance to get through. Kinda a mind game though. Most people think oh its just a sniper so I will take it on my character but when one wound skips through blam! That character turns to glass and explodes like the side of that building in the matrix. Other than hexrifles I would say massed amounts of poisoned fire. Force as many wounds as possible.

Slave to the flesh The_Outsider's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    251 (x8)

[edit] I'm stupid.

Anyway yes, shardnets are the way to go - bloodbrides are most useful since they can get 3 in the squad and still have space for a succubus to ride along with them. Other options that get around the T5 suffer from not being able to strike before the lord.

A somewhat crazy idea is the curt of the archon with lhameans - they'll bypass the T5 and you can have some ur-ghuls or whatever to tank for you, but i'm not liking those sort of odds.
    Last edited by The_Outsider; February 28th, 2012 at 20:00.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    452 (x8)

I wouldn't recomment putting a character in there, sure she may do a wound or two but my opponents always include some powerfists or thnderhammers in those units, and you can be they'll be aiming to splatter your Succubus ASAP.

If you're feeling (very) lucky you could try and take them on with a archon with a shadowfield and soul trap/husk blade. We all have stories of those shadowfields handling an ungodly number of wounds and enemy characters will be forced to go b2b with you so you can shoot up to S6 and start cutting up wolves. The chance isnt great but it would be hilarious if it worked.
    IG Best Gen 1st overall of 10 DE 4th overall of 6
    Eldar 3rd Overall/Best General of 26--2nd Overall/Best General of 7--1st Overall/Best General of 11

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    39 (x2)

I'd keep looking at massed splinter weapons if I wasn't using them for chewing up the rest of his army - double splinter cannon venoms for instance. They hit well, wound half the time, and sooner or later the SW player is going to roll 1s for his saves.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    188 (x4)

If it's just the lord by himself then as said above, let him get close (give him a cruising speed skimmer to charge and he'll be way out in front of any supporting units) then hit him with ten wyches with 2 shardnets and watch him flail about for 3-4 turns (grisly trophies help immensely to keep you in the fight), add a hek with agonizer and you might even kill him.

TWC aren't really that bad for us, they die like 2 wound marines and generally come in small numbers. You should have 2 turns of shooting before they get to you (unless it's pitched battle and you got seized on, or you deployed like an idiot in spearhead, ie: too close to the big scary unit with a 24" assault). Hit long fangs first turn, then TWC second turn. None of the other SW infantry is really that threatening early on. If they do get close, throw them a lamb to charge (something they'll easily kill in 1 round, like 5 warriors), or block them out with a cruising speed raider. Just try to avoid getting multi-charged.
    The meat things seek to destroy ourselves. They hunt us as we hunt them but they are weak and uncertain. Bring them understanding of the power of ourselves through our strength and their fear. The inferior flesh will be entirely destroyed, all fragments will be smashed. Ourselves will fight to the last, all weak flesh must be consumed

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast