Tesseract Labyrinths - Pure Win? - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Tesseract Labyrinths - Pure Win?

I played a game yesterday, fielding a Command Barge, 40 Warriors, a Ghost Ark, some lance crypteks, 5 Wraiths with a Destroyer Lord (he had the Labyrinth), 10 Scarabs, 3 Heavy Destroyers and 2 anni barges. I was facing Vanilla Marines.
    The Destroyer Lord with his Wraith squad worked wonders. They killed 15 Tactical Marines, a Librarian and 10 Devastators. His Librarian was Epistolary, had Terminator Armour, Storm Shield, Might of the Ancients (+2 Str buff) and Gate of Infinity (Teleport). I charged his squad with my Wraiths, placing my Destroyer Lord in base contact with his Libby. He had Initiative 1 on everyone, thanks to Whip Coils, and I decided to use my tesseract labyrinth. He failed his wound test (librarians only have 2 wounds) and his 2+ save/3++ save became useless, since he was trapped forever into the tesseract labyrinth! After that, I won the combat easily and flew away to continue strewing terror and disorder through the enemy ranks!

Tesseract Labyrinths are one of those things in the new codex that are able to change the flow of the battle. For just 20 points your Overlord or your Destroyer Lord have a chance to take out characters that cost 150-300 points. I'd like to hear what you have to say about them.
    Do you prefer them on Overlords or Destroyer Lords?
    Should they be treated in the same respect/fear as Mindshackle Scarabs?
    Do they deserve a place in all-comer lists?
    Do you feel that the once-per-game rule really limits their effectiveness?
    How have they worked for you? I'd love to hear all of your experiences.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    61 (x1)

Sadly, a Destroyer Lord can't have a Tesseract labyrinth.
    Last edited by Spittle72; March 4th, 2012 at 18:43.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    163 (x6)

Quote Originally Posted by Spittle72 View Post
    Sadly, a Destroyer Lord can't have a Tesseract labyrinth.
    What he said ^^^

Thats one of the things I don't like about Dlords, I love them, they can be quite niffty. But I wish they were more like overlords with their gear. Mainly phylactery. I think that could be nice to have on occasion...

But yeah, I would mainly run a Dlord for "anti-character" kinda stuff, or anti-tank. I don't see them being used as anti-mob very well, for them and the wraiths pt cost I like them best at taking out hard hitters myself.

However, I would like to give mine the Labyrinth if I could...

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    720 (x8)

The biggest problem I see with Tesseract Labyrinth is that it happens in place of usual close-combat attacks... Meaning that it hits at I2 which won't help you very much if your Overlord gets Force-weaponed at I4+. Thats why I say Mindshackle Scarabs is our first and foremost anti-character weapon. That being said putting Tesseract Labyrinth into your pocket as "plan B" if you roll badly on Mindshackle is a really nice idea. Necrons don't have that much close-combat power so when we get into thick of it with the likes of Grey Knights stack the deck as much in your favor as possible.
    Revenant Moon Necrons: (W/L/D) 0/1/0 (6th edition: 13/2/2)(5th edition: 14/6/4)(3rd edition Codex: 16/4/7)
    XIX Legion: (W/L/D) 0/0/0 (5th edition: 14/12/2)(5th edition Codex: 4/3/0)
    Black Legion: (W/L/D) 1/0/0 (6th edition: 2/3/0)
    Something Wicked... Reikwald Beastmen: (W/L/D) 10/4/1

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

52 (x1)

Or Plan C - MSS the pesky opposing character and then TLab them...
    I have too many armies to list in my signature!

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    102 (x5)

Quote Originally Posted by pinky_si View Post
    Or Plan C - MSS the pesky opposing character and then TLab them...
    Off topic, So I haven't done MSS yet. Don't have my codex near, but if I MSS a character does he get his normal attacks still against me, or am I not only attacking with him but also denying his attacks?
    "There is only do, or do not. There is no try." - Yoda

Double Clutching Weasel Klajorne's Avatar
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    479 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by Dark Trainer View Post
    Off topic, So I haven't done MSS yet. Don't have my codex near, but if I MSS a character does he get his normal attacks still against me, or am I not only attacking with him but also denying his attacks?
    Second bit.

"At the start of the Assault phase, after assault moves have been made, but before any blows are struck, randomly select an enemy model in base contact with the bearer of the mindshackle scarabs ... [snip 'cause I'm lazy] ... If the test is failed, the victim strikes out at his allies. Instead of attacking normally, he inflicts D3 hits on his own unit when it is his turn to attack... [blah blah more stuff]"
    -Codex: Necrons, pg81 Emphasis mine

Sorry about the truncation, I'm feeling particularly lazy today.

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    720 (x8)

Yeah, the mindshackled guy doesn't get to attack normally at all. Which is exactly why you want to position your lord so that the minshackle hits enemy units best weapon. For example against a normal Blood Angel assault squad with hidden powerfist the mindshackle is damn fine stuff.
    Revenant Moon Necrons: (W/L/D) 0/1/0 (6th edition: 13/2/2)(5th edition: 14/6/4)(3rd edition Codex: 16/4/7)
    XIX Legion: (W/L/D) 0/0/0 (5th edition: 14/12/2)(5th edition Codex: 4/3/0)
    Black Legion: (W/L/D) 1/0/0 (6th edition: 2/3/0)
    Something Wicked... Reikwald Beastmen: (W/L/D) 10/4/1

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

61 (x1)

But... any smart opponent will keep his (non-IC)PF/PW model within 2 inches of your lord but not in base contact.

Double Clutching Weasel Klajorne's Avatar
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    479 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by Spittle72 View Post
    But... any smart opponent will keep his (non-IC)PF/PW model within 2 inches of your lord but not in base contact.
    Anybody that plays necrons a lot. A lot of people aren't that familiar with our codex. Plus, you'd be amazed how often models get shifted around in a squad through the process of moving that doesn't work in your favour. If anything it really emphasizes how important it is to get the charge off to try to position your lord just right.

So yeah, a very good opponent will, but you'd be amazed how often it still works.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast