Thinking of getting back into the game...so why not play Necrons again? - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    96 (x5)

Thinking of getting back into the game...so why not play Necrons again?

I'm planning to buy the 5th edition book in a week or two since I planned to get back in, as my old Necrons are sitting on the shelves collecting dust.
    However, I see they got a new rulebook! Now, I'm used to playing the old style of Necrons, with my fun ol' Destroyer fleet and my Immortal Flying circus. Apparently this isn't the case anymore
    So I was wondering: Is there anything else I should know about playing Newcrons? Apparently it's ALL different now, so I just wanted to know the big key points. I mean, we have so many options now I guess; it's kinda overwhelming...
    I look forward to posting once again!

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    720 (x8)

Destroyers still work if you go regularly against marines of some kind, but you really need only a few.

Immortal Flying Circus still works.

Immortals and Warriors footslogging still works.

Unlike before you really need heavy support vehicles, but Monolith isn't what you need.

The first thing you do when getting back to Necrons is either buy a Lychguard/Praetorian set and use the bits to convert them and/or any extra warriors you might have into Crypteks. This saves you from spending huge amounts of cash one single-packed finecast Crypteks. Yes. You REALLY need a lot of Crypteks.

Oh, and (shameless add) read the Red Harvest Ascendant threads
    Revenant Moon Necrons: (W/L/D) 0/1/0 (6th edition: 13/2/2)(5th edition: 14/6/4)(3rd edition Codex: 16/4/7)
    XIX Legion: (W/L/D) 0/0/0 (5th edition: 14/12/2)(5th edition Codex: 4/3/0)
    Black Legion: (W/L/D) 1/0/0 (6th edition: 2/3/0)
    Something Wicked... Reikwald Beastmen: (W/L/D) 10/4/1

4. ThanksSlayer-Fan123 thanked for this post.
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    291 (x5)

We're due for a new 6e rule book some time this year. I suggest, if possible, borrowing a 5e rule book and holding off on purchasing your own until 6e is released. Seems like a mighty waste of money to me, to buy a rulebook that will only be in effect for about as long it will take to become familiar with the rules...!
    I've recently become a fan of this thing called Dubstep. And you should too.
    Datsik & Flux Pavillion - Crunch (Youtube)
    Da Moo Kowz is da drinkinest Orks of dem all!

6. ThanksSlayer-Fan123 thanked for this post.
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    96 (x5)

I didn't realize that we were getting 6th edition so soon! I guess I'll see if I can borrow the 5th rules from someone I know.
    And don't worry about the shameless plugs; I'm already learning about the army without even having the book yet!
    That said, how good are the special characters we have now? Apparently we have a bunch!

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    184 (x5)

Quote Originally Posted by Slayer-Fan123 View Post
    That said, how good are the special characters we have now? Apparently we have a bunch!
    Personally I'm not all that impressed with any of them. Others will argue either way, but most of them rely on gimmicks that might not be that reliable, IMO. Plain ole overlord (usually two of them) works plenty fine for me.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

The only truly versatile special HQ in my eyes is Zahndrekh and Obyron. They combine some cc ability with nifty spec rules with some really useful wargear. One combi in particular is moving nemesor up in a ghost ark, DSing Obyron and a large unit of warriors nearby (without scatter), unloading into an enemy and then giving them counterattack for the inevitable assault
    “The ultimate philosophical question, “Am I human or machine” is answered by many people, “I don’t care, as long as I am”
    - Myron Krueger

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    184 (x5)

One thing to note is that Zhandrekh can't use any of his special abilities while embarked on a transport.

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    720 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by Hockeyman506 View Post
    Personally I'm not all that impressed with any of them. Others will argue either way, but most of them rely on gimmicks that might not be that reliable, IMO. Plain ole overlord (usually two of them) works plenty fine for me.
    Isn't that pretty much the same thing in any Codex? As far as I've seen in other Codices the special characters are usually special kind of crap with one or more unique ability that might make them worth it.
    Revenant Moon Necrons: (W/L/D) 0/1/0 (6th edition: 13/2/2)(5th edition: 14/6/4)(3rd edition Codex: 16/4/7)

The ORIGINAL Sniper Puss eiglepulper's Avatar
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    596 (x8)

I have to agree with those who are saying that Special Characters can tend to be a bit of a damp squib. The Necron Codex is no exception really; Imotekh's ability to have Lightning dancing off the enemy is only as good as the player is at rolling 6s. Anrakyr's Mind in the Machine is fun, but you have to get yourself too darn close to a vehicle to do it, which probably means that you will be in range of enemy troops as well and that isn't a good place to be.

Trazyn seems to be absolutely pointless: think "Aun'va" from Codex Tau Empire....but maybe someone will correct me here!

One reason I like Zahndrekh is that he comes with a Res Orb as standard, which benefits whichever unit you place him in, thus saving you having to buy one for the Royal Court Lord. His two Tactics abilities do have in-game benefits which are certainly of use. I have yet though to try him out with Obyron, so I can't comment on him.

Basically it boils down to personal choice. If you want to have a bit of fun with a list and throw in some Special Character for a bit of local colour then go for it, but the Overlord and the Destroyer Lord are the boys who will do the job just as well without the frills.

Heavy Support is useful, as Polaria said. Command Barges can double up as Annihilation Barges (two models in the one box), and this also gets you your Necron Overlord thus saving you from buying a Finecast Overlord. As for Crypteks, you need a load of them as they definitely enhance the army with abilities which vary depending on which Harbinger variety you opt for.

Synergy is a big part of the Necron army now, with many units working together to produce a particular result. The use of a C'tan - no longer an HQ choice but still pretty nifty with its special abilities list - will certainly help your army a lot. Taking two of them is overkill points wise (360 for two), but the combination of abilities that this would facilitate would give you a lot of fairly nasty surprises for your opponent.

The best thing you can do is to give your new Codex a really good read several times, just to see what the changes are and what they entail for your existing models. Like you I used to run an 18-Destroyer Wing with a Destroyer Lord at its head, but the best I can now field is 15 + Lord: still impressive but there are other units in the codex which are worth trying out.

Hope some of this was useful.

E.
    "Tau Commandment #226: Participants who use Velocity Trackers in the Tau Clay Pigeon Tournament will be disqualified"

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

720 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by eiglepulper View Post
    Trazyn seems to be absolutely pointless: think "Aun'va" from Codex Tau Empire....but maybe someone will correct me here!
    Trazyn is one of the characters that actually does something a properly kitted Overlord doesn't do better: He scores. He is also Phaeron and comes stocked with mindshackle scarabs. Stick him into a nice Deathmark squad along with a cryptek and you've got one hell of a scoring unit right there. Another option is to put him into a CCB and reserve him for late-game objective snatching, although I think it is perhaps a bit costly.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast