Hello community. I have some questions about marker lights. - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hello community. I have some questions about marker lights.

Hey,

So this is my first post in the Tau section of LO. The past couple of years I (influence of friends) have moved from the tabletop game 40k. Before that I was a huge Tyranid player for 3 years. And since then my friends and I have been playing Dark Heresy and now begun Rogue Trader.

Now, a couple of friends and I have begun to miss those days, and playing Dawn of War DC, made me really interested in Tau.

So, I have been doing my research into Tau the past week, lurking through the many wonderful posts on here, absorbing all that I can.

I have played a couple of games, proxying nids as Tau. lol.

*get on with it*

1. How do YOU use marker lights?

I would really like to incorporate them into my army cause rolling BS3 FWs is weird.
    All the tacticas did no help. It would really help if you could list a step by step process of how they work.

2. So shield drones do not supply a invuln sv on the unit they are in?
    Is there only purpose to allocate wounds to?

3. Relentless on markerlight drones?
    It says in the codex that the drone gains the ability Jet Pack if they are attached to a unit with a JP (stealths, crisis).
    And in the rule book the jet pack special rule says they gain relentless.
    So does this mean that even though Markerlights are "Heavy" they can still move and shoot? Or does it not gain this ability some how.

Thanks in advance if you reply.

Ps. I will probably post with more questions.

Also any speculation on the 5th edition release date?

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    724 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by Devinitious View Post
    1. How do YOU use marker lights?

I would really like to incorporate them into my army cause rolling BS3 FWs is weird.
    All the tacticas did no help. It would really help if you could list a step by step process of how they work.
    Well it is not really easy to say definitively how to use ML's, that is why the tactica's are generalised. It depends on list build, tactics and the skill level of the player. My 2000pt list for example uses a Skyray and that is very very rare. I use the Skyray to boost my two Hammerheads BS to 5 and this ensures they are much more effective.

My 2000pt list is optimised to have an immensely accurate shooting phase. My XV8's are mostly BS5, BS4 twin linked (Missile pods) and one unit has MP and twin linked Flamers (no roll to hit for the flamers). I have three units with ML's (two 6 man Pathfinder units and a Skyray).

Having the highly accurate XV units means I can free up the markerlights to help other units operate at maximum accuracy or I can use the ML's to reduce cover saves. I can also use them to launch the Skyray's Seeker missiles.

It is not possible to give a step by step example of how to use ML's because every game is different. it takes a lot of skill and experience to get the best out of ML units. You have to really know how to prioritise targets, for example if you are facing an opponent with multiple small transported units (MSU) then you need to know when and what to hit.

If you stun a transport do not keep shooting it go for another vehicle and stop that one. You need to consider when to use the ML units, have any vehicles popped smoke or are in cover, if the answer is yes then use the ML's to reduce or remove cover saves (this is why the BS5 HQ and targeting array twin linked MP equipped units are so valuable because it frees up markerlights to use in other ways).

My list is absolutely optimised to use ML's but you can build lists to avoid their use and to be honest unless you take a minimum of two ML units and you build the list to operate around them AND you know exactly how to use the army in relation to them then I would advise not taking markerlight units.
    Markerlights are quite simply an all or nothing option, you either build the list to synergise totally with the ML units (and in my opinion that cannot be done properly in anything under 1850pts) or you simply do not take them.

2. So shield drones do not supply a invuln sv on the unit they are in?
    Is there only purpose to allocate wounds to?
    You can allocate wounds to the Shield drones but you have to follow the normal wound allocation process. Basically this means you cannot stack wounds on a Drone. If you had a three man XV8 unit with two Shield Drones and you got wounded by two Lascannons and four bolters you could allocate the lascannons wounds to the Drones and three bolter wounds to the XV8's and the last bolter wound to a Drone (you have to allocate one wound to every unit member before you can allocate a second wound to an individual model). Oh and yes you could in the above example allocate both Lascannon wounds to one Drone.

3. Relentless on markerlight drones?
    It says in the codex that the drone gains the ability Jet Pack if they are attached to a unit with a JP (stealths, crisis).
    And in the rule book the jet pack special rule says they gain relentless.
    So does this mean that even though Markerlights are "Heavy" they can still move and shoot? Or does it not gain this ability some how.
    Yes Drones attached to stealth and XV8 units can move and shoot. The restriction to shooting heavy weapons only applies specifically to the XV8, so they could not move and shoot a markerlight, Drones simply get relentless which allows them to shoot MLs after moving.[/QUOTE]

+ Reply to Thread