skimmers landing on top of WWP? - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

skimmers landing on top of WWP?

So I've been tossing around some WWP list ideas and something occured to me. In the DE codex it says to use a small blast template or suitable same sized object to use as a marker, and that this counts as impassible terrain. However, skimmers are allowed to land on impassible terrain as long as it's physically possible to place the model there. So could you almost completly shut down a WWP list by planting your skimmers on top of their portals? (cause a template is flat and therefore should be no issues for physically placing it there)

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Slaaneshi Battle Barge CO
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    127 (x5)

Not if the portal owner is using the half-spherical portals that GW used to sell.
    "Is Archon Braigh-Dee going to have to choke a Wych?

Courtesy of Wicky: D.C.S.S.E.P.C.I.C.B.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    367 (x5)

I suppose an RAW argument could be made for doing so, but it's a rather dickish interpretation.
    (WH40K) Dark Eldar - (12,000pts) Sisters of Battle - (5000pts) Dark Angels -(3500pts) (WHFB) Dark Elves - (10,000pts) Beastmen - (5000pts) Empire - (3000pts) Wood Elves - (1500pts)

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    188 (x4)

Quote Originally Posted by Kabbala View Post
    I suppose an RAW argument could be made for doing so, but it's a rather dickish interpretation.
    Not any more dickish than just plain surrounding the portal with regular guys or table edge blocking (which is dickish if you stomp a new player with it, but against veteran players it's a valid tactic to prevent opponents from going full reserve on you or to make them nervous about outflanking). Just don't leave your portals unguarded and try to make sure you can hit things blocking your portal from either the table edge or your other portal(s).
    Quote Originally Posted by Psyan View Post
    Not if the portal owner is using the half-spherical portals that GW used to sell.
    Which is a good argument for making your own cool looking portal markers that can't be balanced on by models.
    The meat things seek to destroy ourselves. They hunt us as we hunt them but they are weak and uncertain. Bring them understanding of the power of ourselves through our strength and their fear. The inferior flesh will be entirely destroyed, all fragments will be smashed. Ourselves will fight to the last, all weak flesh must be consumed

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

225 (x6)

Blocking the portal is just that, blocking the portal - it happens.

I use the half dome portals GW sold and if the opponent wants to try blocking the portal then be my guest - I even tell them which units wouldn't be able to use it just to encourage it. Because:

1. I usually deploy the 2nd portal that is easily within charge range of the 1st. This 2nd portal is usually dropped by a squad that started on foot and is at least 12" away but solidly on my side of the table.

2. I usually have a number of units that are totally not affected by it being blocked. I have been using Hellions, Bikes and Scourges and they just don't care. I can see the beasts being concerned but as of late I have not been using them. I think of a couple times someone tried blocking my portals and my reavers just bloodvane them of the bat.

3. What really works well if you executed #1 above correctly is now you have a perfect target for any wyches or wracks that are on foot coming out of the portal to either flame or assault. Nothing would please me more than knowing my squad of 10 wyches coming out of the 2nd portal can charge the squad that is blocking the 1st portal - hell yah! If it is a vehicle then the wyches can still deal with it but usually I have 1 or 2 squads of heatlance scourges that wouldn't mind sharing their dark matter.

I think where blocking makes a difference is when you got your portal a little too deep and you only have one - pretty much not a reality for experienced DE players as we are a little more careful by either always running 2 portals or being conservative with the 1 we have.
    "On a hunch, I melted them down and inhaled the fumes and read the dark eldar codex again, AND FOUND A BUNCH OF NEW RULES HIDDEN BEHIND THE OTHER WORDS..." [Gardeth on modelling & interpreting the DE Codex]

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    54 (x2)

I'm gonna blow a hole on this little discussion. How can one land on a portal? its not a structure or anything you can physically land on, yes it represents impassible terrain so i can see where this interpretation is coming from, but it also represents the DE players table edge. The portal is the representation of the DE players new part of their table edge further up the field, If you want to land on the portal you need to occupy the same space the portal occupies(impassible terrain) the portal is not a structure. There is nothing to physically land on as real space no longer exists, hence the name portal, so if you are occupying off and on the table edge at the same time, in this situation what happens?
    Last edited by dizzie; March 24th, 2012 at 04:17.
    If you're always worried about crushing the ants beneath you...you won't be able to walk.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

60 (x2)

immpassable only means it can be flown over you still cannot land on top of a portal(impassable) no more so than jump infantry can "fly into it"

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

188 (x4)

Quote Originally Posted by nigelboyette View Post
    immpassable only means it can be flown over you still cannot land on top of a portal(impassable) no more so than jump infantry can "fly into it"
    Not trying to jump all over you, but things that can "fly" can all land on the portal if it's possible to place them on top of it. So either model your portals so they can't be landed on top of or keep them guarded. Here's the relevant quotes from the rulebook.

Pg 71:
    A skimmer can even end its
    move over impassable terrain if it is possible to actually
    place the model on top of it, but if it does so it must
    take a dangerous terrain test

Pg. 52:
    Jump infantry models may not
    end their move on top of other models or impassable
    terrain, except that they can end their move on top of
    impassable terrain if it is actually possible to place the
    models on top of it. If they do that, however, they treat
    the impassable terrain as dangerous terrain.

Pg, 53:
    Jetbikes may not end their move over other
    models or impassable terrain, except that they can
    end their move on top of impassable terrain if it is
    actually possible to place the models on top of it.
    If they do that, however, they treat the impassable
    terrain as dangerous terrain.
    The meat things seek to destroy ourselves. They hunt us as we hunt them but they are weak and uncertain. Bring them understanding of the power of ourselves through our strength and their fear. The inferior flesh will be entirely destroyed, all fragments will be smashed. Ourselves will fight to the last, all weak flesh must be consumed

10. Likedizzie liked this post.
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

60 (x2)

Quote Originally Posted by Bugs_n_Orks View Post
    Not trying to jump all over you, but things that can "fly" can all land on the portal if it's possible to place them on top of it. So either model your portals so they can't be landed on top of or keep them guarded. Here's the relevant quotes from the rulebook.

Pg 71:
    A skimmer can even end its
    move over impassable terrain if it is possible to actually
    place the model on top of it, but if it does so it must
    take a dangerous terrain test

Pg. 52:
    Jump infantry models may not
    end their move on top of other models or impassable
    terrain, except that they can end their move on top of
    impassable terrain if it is actually possible to place the
    models on top of it. If they do that, however, they treat
    the impassable terrain as dangerous terrain.

Pg, 53:
    Jetbikes may not end their move over other
    models or impassable terrain, except that they can
    end their move on top of impassable terrain if it is
    actually possible to place the models on top of it.
    If they do that, however, they treat the impassable
    terrain as dangerous terrain.
    np man i did not know that i guess it rly does help having a rulebook handy lol. but ya thats still a dickish thing to do but i guess its legal

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i am going to make my DE friend so mad next time i play him.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast