Using drones and a commander - tactics consideration - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    48 (x2)

Using drones and a commander - tactics consideration

Okay, so I'm reading wilddragon's army list, and I noticed something interesting. He's using gun drones attached to a commander. Does anybody have any experience with this?

Pros:
    -only uses a fast attack slot.
    -provides ablative wounds cheaply.
    -still just as mobile
    -can still deep strike
    -can still jsj
    -can detach from the commander to act as a roadblock

Cons:
    -costs points (although less than 100 for 8 ablative wounds)
    -makes the unit larger for line of sight purposes.
    -prevents commander from having a bodyguard
    -provide minimal fire support (lol pinning)
    -takes a fast attack slot (not huge, but still relevant)
    -sure I'm missing something else

Anyways, what does everyone else think?

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    298 (x8)

How about 'makes the commander vulnerable to panic tests' as a downside?

If you're not giving him a bodyguard, targetlock him and attach him to some battlesuits. There's no real benefit to giving him his own drone squadron unless he's toting a burst cannon and cyclic for pure horde control purposes, in which case the drone shooting is a decent idea, but I still wouldn't do it. I have submunition templates for horde control...
    Last edited by Marnepup; March 23rd, 2012 at 04:31.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    48 (x2)

Good point, although I think if the commander was going to be put into a situation where he'd be losing drones, hed just detach and let them run, still, quite valid. To be fair, the commander in question was being fielded for horde control / anti ork, making the shooting better.
    Gareth is the person I try to impress when I convert and paint.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    724 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by Astantia View Post
    Okay, so I'm reading wilddragon's army list, and I noticed something interesting. He's using gun drones attached to a commander. Does anybody have any experience with this?

Pros:
    -only uses a fast attack slot.
    -provides ablative wounds cheaply.
    -still just as mobile
    -can still deep strike
    -can still jsj
    -can detach from the commander to act as a roadblock

Cons:
    -costs points (although less than 100 for 8 ablative wounds)
    -makes the unit larger for line of sight purposes.
    -prevents commander from having a bodyguard
    -provide minimal fire support (lol pinning)
    -takes a fast attack slot (not huge, but still relevant)
    -sure I'm missing something else

Anyways, what does everyone else think?
    There was a fun tactic in 4th the Drone encirclement, I know because I used it, in fact I think I invented the Drone/Commander exploit or brought it to widespread notice. Basically in 4th you could not target an IC if it was not the closest target to the shooting unit. So the idea was to take a unit of Gundrones and deploy them in a circular formation with the commander in the middle (surrounded by Drones).

It made the commander XV8 mostly immune to targeting from both shooting (non template) and assault. The assault part came from the fact that you spaced the Drones at an inch separation so nothing could get between them. Unfortunately 5th IC rules nerfed that tactic and I used to love telling my opponents "nope you can't shoot the Shas'El" and explaining to them why.

As it stands now there is no real advantage to using a fast attack slot to protect an El, if you want ablative wounds then attach him to a Kroot squad but there is no real point in attaching an El to anything other than an XV8 unit. I take two HQ El's and I seriously cannot think of a time I have lost one in the first two or three turns because if you take lone El units then it is so easy to just deploy them out of sight in or behind cover.

Even in 4th I gave up using the Drone circle tactic regularly because the points on the Drones were better spent elsewhere, I used it but whenever I played in tournies I went to my all comers list. It basically comes down to the old Tau chestnut, the points are better spent elsewhere.

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

786 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by Rikimaru View Post
    in fact I think I invented the Drone/Commander exploit or brought it to widespread notice
    Wow. Cue eye-rolling.
    ninjabackhand: point and click, again, really? even after i give you an military term "shock tactic" you still call it point and click.
    RIP Warhammer 40,000: 21 Sep 1998 - 24 May 2014

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    724 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by number6 View Post
    Wow. Cue eye-rolling.
    Do you know what is pathetic, I actually posted that "I invented" bit purely because I knew you would not be able to resist with the snidey comments. notice the bit about "widespread notice" I put that there because I did popularise the tactic and raise its discussion on this and other forums but no I did not invent it six. Just shows that you cannot resist a bit of aggravation can you. Just what did your post add to the thread?
    Last edited by Rikimaru; March 23rd, 2012 at 17:53.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    79 (x2)

It amused me, so it added something lol
    Fear me, mortals, for I am The Anointed, The Favored Son of Chaos, The Scourge of the World. The armies of the Gods rally behind me, and it is by My Will and by My Sword that your weakling nations shall fall. - Archaon, The Everchosen, Lord of the End Times

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

786 (x8)

I actually posted that "I invented" bit purely because I knew you would not be able to resist with the snidey comments.
    This might be believable. Except you then immediately say:
    Quote Originally Posted by Rikimaru
    notice the bit about "widespread notice" I put that there because I did popularise the tactic and raise its discussion on this and other forums
    "Invent" or no -- and your backpedalling on "invent" is quite amusing (maybe you shouldn't have said it in the first place, eh?) -- you still insist on taking the full credit. Outside of the accuracy of your assertion -- which is laughable in the extreme -- this speaks volumes. 'Nuff said.
    ninjabackhand: point and click, again, really? even after i give you an military term "shock tactic" you still call it point and click.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

724 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by number6 View Post
    This might be believable. Except you then immediately say:

"Invent" or no -- and your backpedalling on "invent" is quite amusing (maybe you shouldn't have said it in the first place, eh?) -- you still insist on taking the full credit. Outside of the accuracy of your assertion -- which is laughable in the extreme -- this speaks volumes. 'Nuff said.
    Oh its believable because what did you do? Yep you jumped right in there with your little smart comment didn't you.

Oh and I put the "widespread" in before you commented mate. Like I said I knew you would not be able to resist with a comment. Also taking full credit for what? An amusing tactic that had very little use in competitive games even in 4th and has no use at all in 5th, yeah that's credit worth having.

Anyway I has a chuckle when I came back and read your valuable comments, you are nothing if not amusingly predictable dude.

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

786 (x8)

Also taking full credit for what? An amusing tactic that had very little use in competitive games even in 4th and has no use at all in 5th, yeah that's credit worth having.
    A. If was always of very little use, why bother trying to take credit for inventing and(/or) popularizing it?

B. You must think that people have short attention spans. All one needs do is look up a few posts to see that you thought VERY highly of this tactic when ICs couldn't be independently targeted. There's also forum searches; even here on LO it's easy to find you crowing about how awesome this is.

I love it when you box yourself into a corner like this. (Cue more popcorn.)

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast