Red Harvest Ascendant - Ghost Ark - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    720 (x8)

Red Harvest Ascendant - Ghost Ark

This weeks unit is a very special type of vehicle... Ghost Ark.

I have to admit something first: I love Ghost Ark fluff. I love it so much I would probably run a Ghost Ark in my armies even if they weren't any good. There is just something really inspiring in the concept of a vehicle that is so ingrained into the Necrontyr culture and mind that it has survived from the very ancient times of primitive, living Necrontyr all the way up to the times of Necron Empire transforming and evolving during that time from basically a beast-driven wagon to its current form.

But enough about fluff and to the ride itself. The first thing about Ghost Ark is that it is a dedicated transport for Warrior squads and thus does not take up a slot... but requires, of course, using Warriors instead of Immortals in Troop slot. Luckily Warriors are quite good for their points, so its not so bad. Ark is also pretty tough. with Living Metal, Quantum Shields and all-around AV11 you can't even compare it with something soft and squishy like Rhino and it is actually way tougher than things Space Marine armies run as main battle tanks. But Ghost Ark is so, so much more than just a battle-taxi. Its a skimmer, so its mobile, and being open-topped you can shoot everything aboard out of it. And even if that wasn't enough you can use it to regenerate lost Warriors into nearby Warrior squads. Oh, and the two flayer broadsides isn't bad either.

My preferred tactic is to load 5 Warriors and a Destro Cryptek into the Ghost Ark and have another 10 Warriors with a Destro Cryptek walking near. This setup costs a LOT, 380 points to be exact, but it is a mobile army in itself, packing a total of 25 Gauss Flayers and 2 lances (which can be shot to four different targets at the same time). In my experience the main thing about using this wicked combo is to use the Ghost Arks big model as a mobile cover for the Warriors when they need it and, on the other hand, use the Warriors as a bubble-wrap for the Ghost Ark when it needs one. But enough about that now and lets go to see what others have come up with Ghost Arks...

What do you think about the Ghost Arks?
    Do you use them and how?
    What kind of squad do you load into the Ark?
    Do you use them on their own or with a foot-bound second squad nearby?
    What goes into the nearby squads if you use them?

If you are interested in the earlier Red Harvets Ascendant threads, they can be found here.

Revenant Moon Necrons: (W/L/D) 0/1/0 (6th edition: 13/2/2)(5th edition: 14/6/4)(3rd edition Codex: 16/4/7)
    XIX Legion: (W/L/D) 0/0/0 (5th edition: 14/12/2)(5th edition Codex: 4/3/0)
    Black Legion: (W/L/D) 1/0/0 (6th edition: 2/3/0)
    Something Wicked... Reikwald Beastmen: (W/L/D) 10/4/1

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    57 (x2)

I love it. Right now i have 2 and i try and use at least 1 in every game. Its so much fun having 6 warriors fall on the enemy turn, than have them all get back up with the reanimation and ghost arks. I usually have 2 squads of 15 warriors, supported by 2 ghost arks and the warroirs often shrug off most of the enemy's fire. Because of the large squads, the arks themself are often empty, but sometimes put a cryptech squad in to let them live longer. Once i get the money, i want to buy another one and try to fit it in, maybe with the squad of 5 and cryptech, or another 15 warriors, don't know yet.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

High armor? Transport? Open topped shooting? Living metal? Yes, please.

AND it can repair my troops!? Oh hell yes!

I typically take a varying number of warriors with a lance-tek inside, with a unit or two of warriors nearby to be repaired when they eat some shooting.

Tabletop Terraformer Tzeentch Lord's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    109 (x4)

I think they are pretty good as mobile pillboxes. I've thought about using one as support for a squad of warriors on foot, while having a unit of 5 Destruction Crypteks sitting inside the Ghost Ark itself to take advantage of it's armour.

I'll probably buy one at some point, round about the time I buy another two Annihilation Barges!
    "Peace, through superior firepower."

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I myself perfer squads of 9 warriors acompanied by a Lord with a RO and staff of light, and mindshackle scrabs. I like to keep a group of immortals close by them this way they can use teh ghost ark for cover and then pop out and shoot anything that gets too close. I usually bring two to three ghost arks with the same loadout.

Overall, I consider them to be a solid pick for any necron army. What there are three low health units getting ready to charge me? NBD I can fire three different ways! It is just so effective!

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    720 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by Rudmed View Post
    I myself perfer squads of 9 warriors acompanied by a Lord with a RO and staff of light, and mindshackle scrabs.
    Since you've got so different loadout I'd like some more information on how your tactic works. As you have no Warriors on foot it seems you don't use the Repair Barge ability very much and since you don't have Crypteks on board when your Ghost Arks move they seem to have no real firepower beyond 12" range, but it would have a huge amount of bolter-equivalent guns on 12". How do you use the Arks? Do you disembark the Warriors from them often?
    Revenant Moon Necrons: (W/L/D) 0/1/0 (6th edition: 13/2/2)(5th edition: 14/6/4)(3rd edition Codex: 16/4/7)
    XIX Legion: (W/L/D) 0/0/0 (5th edition: 14/12/2)(5th edition Codex: 4/3/0)
    Black Legion: (W/L/D) 1/0/0 (6th edition: 2/3/0)
    Something Wicked... Reikwald Beastmen: (W/L/D) 10/4/1

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

I usually run it in one of three ways:
    1. A unit of 10 warriors in it supporting a larger nit of warriors with an overlord
    2. 5 destro crypteks in it, once again supporting warriors. I very rarely put destro teks into other units as their target priority is very different to anything else
    3. Fully kitted out royal court - 5 lords with various weapon loadouts (all with MSS), a chronotek, a despairtek, a destrotek with gaze of flame and an overlord. Boost forward as fast as possible, get out and charge the biggest, deadliest cc unit the enemy has and watch it punch/stab/maul itself in the face
    “The ultimate philosophical question, “Am I human or machine” is answered by many people, “I don’t care, as long as I am”
    - Myron Krueger

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    291 (x5)

I remember when the new codex was released, there was quite a bit of controversy over the Ghost Ark. Seems experience has shown us the Ghost Ark won that debate

The important thing to remember is that, for it's cost, the Ghost Ark is neither an efficient transport, nor an efficient gun-boat. It performs those functions rather well, but only in a secondary capacity to it's primary function -- as a support vehicle! And that's what it excels at the most, not being the forerunner of apocalyptic death-dealing, but supporting the units who are!
    I've recently become a fan of this thing called Dubstep. And you should too.
    Datsik & Flux Pavillion - Crunch (Youtube)
    Da Moo Kowz is da drinkinest Orks of dem all!

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    102 (x5)

Quote Originally Posted by BossGorestompa View Post
    I remember when the new codex was released, there was quite a bit of controversy over the Ghost Ark. Seems experience has shown us the Ghost Ark won that debate

The important thing to remember is that, for it's cost, the Ghost Ark is neither an efficient transport, nor an efficient gun-boat. It performs those functions rather well, but only in a secondary capacity to it's primary function -- as a support vehicle! And that's what it excels at the most, not being the forerunner of apocalyptic death-dealing, but supporting the units who are!
    I haven't used the support function once. I walk a squad of 10 immortals by it. All it is good for imo is hiding 2 destro crypteks inside and blasting away SAFELY at stuff as it moves across the board. Sure I could walk warriors next to it, but the immortals once in range are far more effective. As a gun boat, it's great...it has 2 S8 AP2 shots from inside troops, plus holds objectives for me. Can't assault me unless you get me out. Personally i WANT you to waste shots at the ark...because my 2 command barges, wraiths and all that would prefer you ignore the real threats.

Truely I could field 10 warriors walking next to it, but I like more resilience outside.
    "There is only do, or do not. There is no try." - Yoda

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Polaria View Post
    Since you've got so different loadout I'd like some more information on how your tactic works. As you have no Warriors on foot it seems you don't use the Repair Barge ability very much and since you don't have Crypteks on board when your Ghost Arks move they seem to have no real firepower beyond 12" range, but it would have a huge amount of bolter-equivalent guns on 12". How do you use the Arks? Do you disembark the Warriors from them often?
    Well, I think I've said this before, but for me the Necron's goal is to walk up and shove whatever rapid fire weapons you have down their throats. Unforuntely this does get me closer to CC where the Ghost Arks are weaker at, thus the reason why I try to keep my immortals with the overlord (upgraded to a phaeron) close by. If they get too close I run up rapid fire and assault them with the better CC unit. Perhaps in 2000 point games I will include a monlith or lychguard in there somewhere to better protect the ghost arks.

No I don't often disembark my warriors they often stay inside where it is safe from the rounds that are aimed at them. Yes it greatly handicaps my range, but based off the varying solar pulses and nightfighting stuff that comes with the necrons seems to hint they are suppose to get really close.

Also noob question. They aren't considered fast correct so they can't move 12 and fire one gun right? They just have the ability to ignore diffcult terrain (and the negatives that go with a skimmer).
    Last edited by Rudmed; March 25th, 2012 at 05:07.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast