Welcome to Librarium Online!
Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!
Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!
Hey guys iv'e just got the new Necron army book and i am new to the necron army i was thinking of collecting a tournament ready army and wondering on tactics for Necrons and generally what kind of units i should be including in 1500-2500pts
thanks for any advice
Definitely start out by checking out Polaria's threads, Red Harvest Ascendant. There's always plenty of good discussion on each unit in the codex.
If there's something you have specific questions on, throw them out there. We're all glad to answer them. And definitely toss a list together (at first, just pick things that you think are cool or fun) and put it up in the army section. We'll give you some feedback and ideas on how the army will work together and any glaring holes/flaws in the army composition.
First, I'd recommend trawling the Necron Army Lists sub-forum and having a look at the kind of armies people have put together there.
I'm not sure immediately 'buying' a tournament ready army if you've never played the new Necrons is a great plan though. Get a basic 1k army together and have some games with that, just so you can get a feel for how they work. Then start planning your 'tournament' force from there, using some of the tips and tactical advice from the threads in this forum.
"Peace, through superior firepower."
FYI, these things have proven to be great overall:
- Command barge (with char + warscythe)
- Annihilation barges
- Dual courts (HOLY CRAP 2 crypteks per squad is awesome, or Lord with scythe and cryptek, etc...lots of mixes!)
Great things in general:
- Cypteks (particularly I like destruction crypteks, but each can have a place)
- Need troops (our troops aren't that awesome by any means, but put them safely in a ghost ark, add the right cryptek/lord in there and you've got a unique unit). Both immortals and warriors are fine just depends on what you want to do.
- Triarch stalkers (great for twin linking NON twin linked weapons, however not out yet)
- Find an HQ that helps you, this army is about synnergy and NOT straight forward like other codexes! Each model relies on another to be awesome (except the 2 at the top, they are just cool).
- Night scythe (super fast transport, great weapon like annihilation barge...only sad part is it gets popped and your immortals go back to the board edge. Very sad to lose an objective...and only AV11 makes it flimsy)
Things people like but I haven't seen huge PUNCH from (personally):
- Scarab + Spyder combo (creating more scarabs for free during game...i own 3 spyders and earning like 130+points of models I never paid for by turn 3 is fun...imagine 9 spyders! Also spyders not currently available)
- Deathmarks (no experience or research on these personally, just didn't like em rules wise, something about FAQ helped...but need to research)
- Tomb blades (no experience or research on these personally, i hear people want them...but i'm just not a bikes person, vehicles being more resilient and all)
- Doom scythes (fun toy, but flimsy for a tank that needs to get CLOSE and by close I mean MELTA's are gonna wreck it after one shot).
Things that I think are lack luster:
- Ctan (far too over priced)
- Praetorians (Meh)
- Lychguard (again overpriced to swing last)
- Monolith (moving only 6" and still being expensive is a bummer, yes AV14 all around is still nice even without old rules...you just don't see it earn it's points back often enough)
- Destroyers and Heavy destroyers (easily picked off and shot to death, hiding destruction crypteks inside warrior squads is MUCH more reliable, and each cryptek costs HALF of a Heavy Destroyer...solar flares can help heavy Destroyers quite a bit...but regular destroyers are pretty short range needing to get dangerously close to solar flare's help.)
- Flayed ones (lots of attacks, but still striking last and no invul...unreliable)
- Doomsday ark (overpriced and has to sit there, one unlucky outflank auto hitting you or other lucky shots, gone...does work well with solar flares though prevents them from shooting you 1 or 2 turns).
I don't think I missed anything. This is my 2 cents having played them a ton both previous and current codex. I agree with above about trolling the army lists you'll see very common things like annihilation barges and wraiths (if people have the models or converted some), etc. Also as stated the red harvest threads are great as some great discussion about EACH unit as it goes.
Last edited by Dark Trainer; March 30th, 2012 at 00:46.
"There is only do, or do not. There is no try." - Yoda
Dark Trainer, you did miss the Night Scythe and Doom Scythe.
Since we have no models for them yet I have no used them. I don't think the Doom Scythe will be anything worthwhile, but it may be fun to use at least.
Night Scythes I think will be great though. Very fast moving transport with a twin-linked Tesla Destructor. I think it will go very well with Lychguard since it can get them right up to their target, and with those shields people may hesitate to shoot you before you assault them next turn. Also nice for moving Immortals to objectives, and if the Night Scythe lives it can last turn contest very easily.
Other than that, DT's got this thing settled and the red harvest threads offers excellent advice too.
Alright thanks for all he advice guys