New to Tyranids! - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

New to Tyranids!

Hey all ,

Iv not played 40k for a long time and are going to start again with one of my friends , im just wondering what kind of army lists are doing well in tournaments and what army lists are the most fun to play at the moment.

Have to say i will be having a winged hive tyrant in my army as i love the forgeworld model

Ever-Chosen

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    64 (x1)

as far as the competitive scene goes, you'll want hive guard tervigons and termagants, and probably 1 or 2 tyranofex's, (biovores are nice too),that part comes down to list specific's. and as far as list specific's go the nid's are very specific on what they can and cant do.

as far as fun? I like almost every nid unit so as far as fun goes, that's really on you and what you like to play

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

786 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by Ever-Chosen View Post
    Hey all ,

Iv not played 40k for a long time and are going to start again with one of my friends , im just wondering what kind of army lists are doing well in tournaments and what army lists are the most fun to play at the moment.

Have to say i will be having a winged hive tyrant in my army as i love the forgeworld model

Ever-Chosen
    Tyranids are definitely the coolest army around. I play 'nids, Tau, Grey Knights, and the occasional small game with some White Scars, and in all honesty, I've had more fun with 'nids than with any of the others.

That said, Tyranids are also definitely the weakest army in 40K right now. There is no "good tournament army build" for them because ... they just aren't that good. GW screwed up in designing this codex, though that wasn't entirely clear until the next several codexes were released. Dark Eldar and Grey Knights in particular seem especially designed to kill Tyranid armies easy.

I don't get too discouraged about it, however. They really are fun to play, even when the deck is stacked against you. And the single most fun army list I've yet run with the Tyranids is an all-drop list, which is what I'd recommend if you're wanting to play with a flyrant. Here's how I run it at 1850 pts, which is the usual points limit in my area. You can scale it down -- BARELY -- to 1500 pts if required.

HQ
    [270 pts] Hive Tyrant, brainleech devourers, scything talons, wings, paroxysm, leech essence, hive commander

Elite
    [160 pts] 2 Zoanthropes; Mycetic Spore
    [160 pts] 2 Zoanthropes; Mycetic Spore
    [140 pts] Deathleaper

Troop
    [90 pts] 10 Termagants; Mycetic Spore
    [185 pts] Tervigon, cluster spines, catalyst, toxin sacs
    [172 pts] 9 Genestealers, Broodlord

Heavy Support
    [230 pts] Carnifex, 2 × twin-linked brainleech devourers; Mycetic Spore
    [230 pts] Carnifex, 2 × twin-linked brainleech devourers; Mycetic Spore
    [210 pts] Trygon, adrenal glands

Total: 1847 pts

Everything goes into reserves. In fact, whenever possible, you want to go second. Outflank the Tervigon and stealers, everything else deep strikes onto the table. Chomp and shoot your way to victory! Even against superior opponents, this army makes the opponent sweat for a bit. The list makes for very tense games, win or lose. It can go south if you have truly awful reserves rolls, but that is rare enough, thanks to Hive Commander.
    ninjabackhand: point and click, again, really? even after i give you an military term "shock tactic" you still call it point and click.
    RIP Warhammer 40,000: 21 Sep 1998 - 24 May 2014

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks for the quick replys

Awwww didnt know they got hit that bad with the new army books

Well im still wanting to do them anyway as i love the models im mainly going to be playing 2000 point games and aginst marines a guy imparticular with "world eaters" any tips on playing aginst marines?

Shire can't handle me Warlord Vrrmik's Avatar
    Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    2085 (x8)

Yeah 'nids are great fun to play! Their theme and race background is just so unique and different compared to the other races, and yet they are one of the races that are one of the most realistic (if you can say that) in this game. The ultimate predator. They're just awesome.

The codex isn't terrible. I'd probably say that Daemons is worse (if not, then tied worst) in the competitive scene. But that's why I don't play many competitive games! Tyranids are great fun against non-cheesy army lists, you'll really enjoy it!

As for advice, Fenix and number6 have given you quick summaries of the kinds of things you should do. Check out a few of the stickies in this forum - they're huge wells of information just begging to be read and used, so do take the time to read through at least the first two.

Against marines there are three things I can say - watch out for hidden power weapons and force weapons in their units, they really hurts MCs. Genestealers absolutely rip them, I'd always recommend a squad. And the Hive Guard/Zoanthrope in Spore combination will kill their tanks. The Zoanthrope Warp Blast is very useful too, just make sure all the Land Raiders are dead before you use it

+ Reply to Thread