New player: Necrons vs GK/Marines (1000) points. Help needed - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

New player: Necrons vs GK/Marines (1000) points. Help needed

Hello. I am a new player and my main player will be playing both grey knights and marines. He has 1000 point lists for both. They include a land raider in both as well. Other than that I don't know very much besides that they have low model counts (also the marine list has 10 termis as deathwing I think)

Now, I have been pouring over the codex trying my best to make a balanced list, yet still remaining competitive against him, since he is going to be the most veteran player I will be playing against. My other opponents (tyranids, orks, and tau) I'm not to worried about because they are new to the game like me and we will learn together.

What is the best way to approach a marine and gk player who has low model counts? Should I saturate the board with a bunch of warriors and try to stun lock his landraider/termis? In essence, battle a low model count with a high model count? This, however, doesn't really go well with how I wanted to originally play my necrons. When I first bought my models I wanted to make a tesla themed army.

*These are just the models I currently have. I can and will add more depending on what advice I get*

1. Destroyer lord with scythe
    2. Overlord with scythe (from catacomb barge set)
    3. 12 warriors
    3. 10 immortals
    4. 2 Annihilation barges
    5. A bunch of scarabs
    6. A ghost/doomsday ark
    7. Various converted crypteks

That doesn't mean that I want to limit myself to those models. Money is not a problem because I have plenty saved up so if I need to buy more stuff to improve my army that shouldn't be a problem. Also, when the second wave hits, I want to include wraiths too. But the problem is, to me at least, tesla immortals, with 2 annihilation barges/ doomsday ark, destroyer lord w/ wraiths doesn't seem like a good way of dealing with either gk or deathwing because I have such little anti-tank. In fact, at the 1000 point cost, I barely have more models than my opponent has, and his are better!

So what do I do? How can I incorporate more anti-tank? Should I use crypteks with lances? What about times arrow? Or the special character that gives tank hunters to a specific unit? Or illuminator to buff a squad in some way (since he's cheap although the effect is random). Or just use mass warriors to stun tanks and use a a doomsday ark to destroy it and to also take out the termis with firepower?.... I'm completely lost. I feel like I'm all over the place and I need a lot of help.

So, my goal is, after I get some feedback from you guys, to be able to build a solid 1000 point army.

I appreciate you guys taking the time to read my post and would like to thank you, in advance, for helping me. Have a great day.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

HQ
    Overlord with WS, CCB 180
    Harbinger of Destruction with Solar Pulse 55
    Harbinger of Destruction 35
    Harbinger of Destruction 35

Troops
    9 Warriors with Ghost Ark 232 (Pulse-Tek joins)
    5 Warriors 65 (Destruction Cryptek joins)
    5 Warriors 65 (Destruction Cryptek joins)

Elites
    Triarch Stalker 150

Heavy Support
    Annihilation Barge 90
    Annihilation Barge 90

Total: 997 Points.

I feel that with this list you will have enough anti-tank and enough anti-infantry. Warriors, Anni Barges, the Ark and the Stalker can be used effectively both against tanks and Marine Equivalents or Terminator Equivalents.

Hope I helped.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

How exactly do I use a pulse tek, if you can clarify please? I'm new and don't really understand the tactic behind it.

Thanks for the help!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

"One use only. The Solar Pulse can be used at the start of any turn. If the Night Fighting rules are in effect they cease to apply until the end of the turn. If the Night Fighting rules are not in effect, then they apply until the end of the turn."

Turn = Player Turn.

The tactic is simple: you force your opponent to shoot with the Night Fighting rules in effect during his 1st turn (usually), which drastically reduces his early damage. In Dawn of War missions you may choose to use it at the start of your 1st turn to stop the Night Fighting and fire normally. If he reserve all of his army, you can just wait until a large portion of his army arrives and use it then.

Solar Pulses are a pain in the ass of solid shooting armies, such as Imperial Guard, Tau, Eldar and most Space Marine chapters.
    Last edited by TheNightbringer; April 17th, 2012 at 23:57.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well with a cryptek with a solar pulse, you can choose to use the solar pulse at the begining of any turn. Yours or your opponents. If you use it during your turn, you will most likly use it to cancel out the rule Night Fighting, other than that, dont use it on your turn. If you use it on your opponent's turn, you can cancel out Night Fighting (not smart because then they can see you) or you can force them to use the Night Fighting rules if they are not already in effect. So basically you force your opponent to roll 2D6x3 to see if they can see your models in the dark, if they cant they cant fire. But look out because most of the Imperium armies come with searchlights for free on the tanks so they can light up your units in the dark.
    Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to
    speak out and remove all doubt.
    Abraham Lincoln, 1809-1865

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So I should use it during first turn most of the time? If the marine player switches to using some bikes and stuff, would it be better to use it during his second turn while he gets into range or still in first turn? Also, just to make sure I am understanding the rule correctly, after his turn is up, the night fighting rules no longer apply to me?

Thanks

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Correct. It only lasts for one player turn of your choice
    “The ultimate philosophical question, “Am I human or machine” is answered by many people, “I don’t care, as long as I am”
    - Myron Krueger

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Alright thanks for the reply. Sorry for asking so many questions, but what about playing against marine bikes/attack bike melta and landspeeders with the termis? How does the game change when going against fast units? Should diff. units be added? Since I never played a game, it would be helpful to know how a basic tactica could be used against additional fast units.

Also I forgot to add. This isn't really tactica based but is it okay if I substitute a fantasy model for a c'tan shard instead of the old nightbringer and deceiver models? But when I eventually expand my list to higher points, I would like to have one. If so, does anyone have any ideas as to what would look the 'coolest'. My army is bleached bone theme so they look almost like regular skeletons except for the shielding, with light blue instead of the green gauss and crystal color.

I would probably want something from the vampire counts or tomb kings range.

Like, what if the model I end up picking was on a long base like this instead of a 40mm circular base? Is that legal?
    http://www.games-workshop.com/MEDIA_...01_445x319.jpg

http://www.games-workshop.com/gws/ca...d=prod1190030a
    This guy looks interesting because he has scarabs on him similar to necron scarabs

http://www.games-workshop.com/MEDIA_...03_873x627.jpg
    http://www.games-workshop.com/MEDIA_...01_873x627.jpg

Maybe a dragon to represent a void dragon?

Or maybe a more daemon looking guy, but covering up the chaos looking parts and replacing the weapons with necron ones or making them more necron in origin?
    http://www.games-workshop.com/MEDIA_...PK_873x627.jpg
    http://www.games-workshop.com/MEDIA_...H2_873x627.jpg
    http://www.games-workshop.com/MEDIA_...in_873x627.jpg

Others

Thanks!
    Last edited by Mirtazpine; April 18th, 2012 at 10:39.

LO Zealot
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    417 (x7)

Quote Originally Posted by Mirtazpine View Post
    So I should use it during first turn most of the time? If the marine player switches to using some bikes and stuff, would it be better to use it during his second turn while he gets into range or still in first turn? Also, just to make sure I am understanding the rule correctly, after his turn is up, the night fighting rules no longer apply to me?
    Thanks
    Use it when you feel the opponent is going to shoot the most out of you. If he has only a couple of long range guns, it might be smart to postpone the pulse until the closer range guns are near of you. But beware that the closer the opponent is, the higher probability to see you he has.
    I don't use Vendettas or Valks...if Guardsmen were meant to fly, the Emperor would have given them wings. (343rd Mordian)
    The battle for Hidaxes SubSector (Listwar)! 184th Cadian blog: 184th.blogspot.com

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    45 (x1)

This is my 1k list
    HQ
    Necron Overlord (235)
    Catacomb Command barge; Warscythe.
    Cryptek: Harbinger of Destruction (Solar Pulse).

Troops
    5 Necron Immortal (85)
    Tesla Carbine.

5 Necron Immortal (85)
    Tesla Carbine.

Fast Attack
    5 Canoptek Wraiths (205)
    3× Whip coils.

8 Canoptek Scarabs (120)

Heavy Support
    Annihilation Barge (90)

Annihilation Barge (90)