Librarium Online Forums banner

Which Fast attack unit is best?

Tags
eldar
1K views 6 replies 6 participants last post by  magenb 
#1 ·
I'm planning to expand my army in the near future, and I realize that other than Shadow Specters, I have no fast attack options. My current army is mostly stand and fight ready, a stance that works for me but I wouldn't mind sending out a squad or two to harass my enemy. While my main force gets ready. I'm usually fighting Chaos/and loyalist space Marines. So my first instinct was the Vyper Jetbike, it gives an additional heavy weapon, and it would be something my enemies have to deal with, and with holo fields they are somewhat capable of taking a punch, my only real problem with it is that it's open topped, so even with holofields whatever damage I do take will be severe. And as I continually upgrade it, it doesn't quite seem worth the cost.
Swooping Hawks look awesome and their Grenades can cause pandomonium amongst my enemies, but at 21 points per model for grenades feels unnecessary since their guns are only S3 grenades seem the only useful contribution hawks can give to any army, unless you're fighting the Guard, Tau, Sisters, or other Eldar where the guns might do something.
Shining Spears look cool, but I see alot of hate going towards Jetbikes online. They're expensive, but I think I can see how their lances can be effective.
Warp Spiders I absolutely loved in the video games, but looking at their profile, their guns are powerful and they will force armor saves, and may even punch through a vehicles armor with good rolls. But with most warp Spider weapons being AP- my feelings on them are mixed.
I'm having trouble deciding on a squad, so I'm hoping that some more experienced gamers can help me decide on a squad. Thank you.

See less See more
#2 ·
Overall Warp Spiders are the better choice in your FA slot. Vypers can work in the correct lists as well, but should generally not be upgraded too much. Swooping Hawks are useless, they look much better on paper than they actually perform, avoid them at all costs. Shining Spears should also be avoided, too many points per model and not enough survivability, but are not quite as useless as Hawks as they can do a lot of damage if they actually get to do their thing.

In short: Spiders > Vypers > Spears > Hawks

#3 ·
In short: Spiders > Vypers > Spears > Hawks
I would probably go for the spears first, combined with an autarch with bike and lance the withdraw ability really allows the autarch to make the most of his lance. Then Id say vypers then warp spiders then hawks.
This is the order I'd choose them and I'd only take them in large point games where I could spare the points in a friendly game, in fact last year I used my spears a grand total of 2 games!

If expanding your force I'd first look at your Elites if your wanting to get up close and personal. Banshees and Scorpions are good, Fire dragons are devestating at short range but suck in CC but if you weaken the squad with melta shots they might just be able to hold up an enemy unit for a turn giving you some time to shoot other things. First choice for you I would say is Banshees, let those power armour marines feel the pain of I10 power weapons! Combine with simple Doom Seer and Wave Serpent to make the most of their potential. (Doom Seer 75pts, 10 man squad with all upgrades 192pts and cheap wave serpent 100 pts = 377pts) A bit of a points sink but a squad of banshees rerolling to wound against power armour of termies with out storm shield will inflict a lot of pain.

#4 ·
Rather than the Viper I like the forgeworld hornet. Expensive in cash terms but for only a few more points they are not open topped and have an extra point of armour. They can get expensive point wise very quickly so keep them cheap with 2 shuriken cannon and that's it.

#6 ·
Warp Spiders and Vipers are what I recommend. Personally I use Warp Spiders, unlike Swooping Hawks they are much better then they appear on paper. The Str6 gun means that they can hurt enemy transports with a little luck which great because no one sees it coming. A full squad of Warp Spiders, fully upgraded can take a Space marine Tactical Squad and then move on to a new target. The key is using them right. If you let them get shot they will of course under preform, but if you can use them to get the drop on a unit, they will work magic.

Vipers are like fast war walkers, you have to hide them from enemy fire and pick off weak targets. Also, keep them moving to get the cover save and they will be more survivable then you thing.

#7 ·
The swooping hawk grenade pack is useless and their guns are even more useless against T4/power armour, however, you can use them to take out very heavy armour with mass Haywire grenades. So unless your play Apoc or against T3 armies they are not worth the points.

Warp Spiders can be very useful, especially if you get a luck deep strike roll. Their short range makes them a little tricky to use, expect some to die, but the mass S6 is very nice.

Vypers... only take Scat Lasers or EML's, you want to keep these out of firing distance as they will drop like flies against bolter fire.

Hornets are the bomb, bolter fire doesn't hurt them so you can get upclose to drop alot of shuriken fire in, just watch out for heavy weapons fire and flanking units :)

Spears are OK, expensive point wise and are really only good at taking out light armour, like most Eldar CC they are surprisingly fragile due to the small unit size. Warlocks on Jetbikes work better for me.

Shadow Spectres are an interesting unit, effectively another fire prism that can pop in and out of cover and can be kept at range, very temping.

For the base game, Warp spiders are the best all round option.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.