Thinking of starting Necrons - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thinking of starting Necrons

Hi all,

So as the title says I am thinking of starting a Necron Army. The models that have been released are very pleasing to the eye so I thought why not.

Questions though are:

1) What is the Necron play style? I like to be able to take a shooty list with a little combat or I'd like to take a fully mech army.

2) Are there a lot of list options that won't get rolled by the newer tier books?

3) Besides initiative what would be the Necrons weakness?

4) Any major things that I should be aware of before I collect?

5) Lastly, what would you suggest to buy first if I decide to? Battleforce? I want to get to the 2-3k range curious on how many Warriors I should be getting?

Thanks!

Armies: 40k: Imperial Guard, Orks Fantasy: Skaven

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    94 (x1)

Quote Originally Posted by HAB_Incognito View Post
    1) What is the Necron play style? I like to be able to take a shooty list with a little combat or I'd like to take a fully mech army.
    Mid-range shooty is the key, coupled with several units or abilities that can alter how the battle is played. Necrons are meant to get into that 24" range, unleash devastating firepower, and still hopefully survive the response (whether shooting or assault). Lists are built around unit synergy, including the use of Crypteks to enhance certain units, the powers of C'tan Shards, wargear on Lords and Overlords, etc.

2) Are there a lot of list options that won't get rolled by the newer tier books?
    There are a number of lists that have proven useful. Destruct-Teks in Ghost Arks, Transmog-Teks with Writhing C'tan, Scarab Farms with Spyders, Lych-bombs with Veil-Teks, etc. Information from the last Adepticon Tournament showed that Necrons were the 5th most used army (and the 1st most used Xenos army), behind Blood Angels, Imperial Guard, Space Wolves, and Grey Knights. I don't play the tournament circuit, but I've had a good record against all of those armies suggesting our army is competitive.

Besides initiative what would be the Necrons weakness?
    That is our biggest weakness, as it affects CC, being Swept, abilities that target Initiative, etc. Also, we are limited in our long-range, with most of our firepower at 24" followed by 36". Until we close with our opponent, we're often sitting ducks for any long range shots coming our way.

5) Lastly, what would you suggest to buy first if I decide to? Battleforce? I want to get to the 2-3k range curious on how many Warriors I should be getting?
    If you own no Necrons, start with the Battleforce plus a Command Barge (which comes with an Overlord). From there, it depends on what route you wish to go. I wouldn't recommend much more than two units of 10-15 Warriors; honestly, I use 15 Warriors and 10 Immortals for my Troop Choices. What you want is a mix of units (I like Wraiths and Tomb Blades), some Mech (Ghost Arks are highly recommended and Doomsday Arks are nice), and don't forget upgrade Characters (build or buy Crypteks and Lords). Whether you use Scarabs, C'tan Shards, Destroyers, Triarch Stalkers, etc. is all up to you and what you like to do.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    163 (x6)

Mid range shooting, we don't like much past 24", we don't like much under 12" hah Its can occasionally be dificult to get in that range properly, depending on oponant, but if done properly it can be very deadly.

We have a surprising amount of diversity in lists you can do, the biggest thing you probably want to avoid it trying to make an "elite" army, like GKs or something, don't go to minimalist on troops, we do need some numbers. I have heard of a couple people trying Lychbomb lists with almost no troops, then to make them more shooty they only take annihilation barges and a doomsday arc, which doesn't give you any wiggle room.

Our inability to fight a combat at multiple ranges, we can't do much at all past 36", we don't have much thats going to do very well less than 12" in many circumstances. We have units that can shoot long range, such as the Doomsday arc, and we have some that can compete in CC, such as Wraiths or Lychguard, but we are rather limited on whats going to be the BEST for that situation, because we have so many options. Not all our CC units fight the same against the same opponents. Take Khorne Berzerkers, they don't care much who they fight, they can hold their own in CC with most units, flayed ones or lychguard are not quite so versatile.

building monoliths is a pain in the ***.

Also, don't go overboard on anything, warriors are good, but its probably not best to have 6 units of 20. Having 3 units of 6 wraiths isn't likely the best use of points ether. The Necron book is built with units that need to work together, not about powerhouse units that win games for you when spammed.

Battleforce is good, I would suggest you choose the playstyle you want before anything. Some prefer blobs of warriors with the arcs near by, which is effective, others like to have immortals and no warriors. Decide if you want much CC units, I suggest going away from flayed ones if you do; Wraiths are very popular.

Hope some of this helps.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    41 (x1)

6 boxes of wraiths, 20 immortals and 3 annihilation barges.

done

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    35 (x1)

I suggest you get at least 1 battle force and one of each of a few other units (wraiths, command barge, annihilation barge etc) and build a balanced army up to about 1000-1250 then play a bunch of games and see what units work best for your play style. Swap units in and out to see what you like. Then when you have a handle on the units think about ones that you may want duplicates of or other units you dont have that may help out with aspects of the game your having trouble with (need more anti tank? need more cc units? etc etc). One thing I've noticed with buying armies all at once in the beginning is that I don't find out whats good until ive built and played with the models first, and i'm stuck with some units I never use.

Pace yourself and most importantly play lots of games as u build your army.

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    57 (x2)

Quote Originally Posted by Cortez View Post
    6 boxes of wraiths, 20 immortals and 3 annihilation barges.
    May i suggest a HQ? =)

The battle force makes a pretty good base to start off of because the ark and warriors are something that you take in almost every army, and immortals are commonly used also. Scarabs are liked by some and not by others, so a personal choice is what it is left to. If another thing you can do with the battle force is use some of the spare weapons from the immortal sprues and convert warriors into immortals. I have done this and got 15 warriors and 10 immortals, which are the base of my army.

Lords and cryptecks are used very commonly, and are probably something that is best converted to save $. Making 5 tecks from spare parts vs spending $95 on them. Barges are also a good to buy. In smaller games you can use them for your lord to fly around and destroy tanks, and larger games they can be used as an annilation barge. Stay away from monoliths, expensive $ wise and not that good on the table.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hi all,

So as the title says I am thinking of starting a Necron Army. The models that have been released are very pleasing to the eye so I thought why not.

Questions though are:

According to the author of the codex Mat Ward, "crons are the 'leet' shooty army." Whether you agree with it or not is up to you. They're just as hardy as space marines, less expensive, and slightly better at CQC than the Tau and Guard. They pack immense fire power over an average range of 12-24 in and are probably one of 'less adept' cqc combatants in 40k. They have fast and durable transports, and their units work well in synergy. They also have top leadership.

The Necron wargear, esp. among the crypies and warlord are immense, and expensive at times. Many of their abilities esp. the Solar Pulse allow for night fighting, perfect for their range. The cryptek wargears are their 'psyker powers' sans P.o.W test.

CQC as always. Mobility used to be an issue, but now that point is basically rendered moot with the new transports. We also have a weakness in range as some armies can steam roll us at the game of 'whose got the bigger guns.'

The crons are durable, they have an eclectic amount of gimmicks, they're a vastly gimmicky army. Be sure to not be over confident in your troops RP rolls. They're a conditional ++ sv. They also work well if synchronized with overlapping abilities.

Battleforce, and a decent HQ unit, Save money for any cheap ass. Generally for me, troops take about 1/4-1/3 of my army, depending on the situation. So around maybe 40ish warriors.

Thanks!
    Anyways, that's my advice and views on the subject. Hope you do well.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

163 (x6)

Quote Originally Posted by thatrandomguy View Post
    Stay away from monoliths, expensive $ wise and not that good on the table.

I seem to be in the minority, but I like to take a monolith, if you get a decent DS in next to the enemy, you can actually get some good damage done.

What I like to do is aim to get the portal as close to the enemy's "big hitters" and depending on what it is, either try to suck them in (gotten some tyrant guards and 3 nid warriors the turn I landed once) or, if I look slightly out of range, empty out a good healthy squad of my warriors to do some good ol' gauss blasting. Yeah, its slow and expensive, but I have had a couple good rounds with them.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Wow!

Thanks everyone for the replies! Thats amazing never got that many responses all at once!

Anyway couple more questions:

1) Heard about a weapon called a Death Ray!? Is it really that good?! A unit takes as many hits as models in the unit? Or did someone tell me wrong?

2) You see soooo many Grey Knights nowadays Do we fair ok vs them? (First time I ever played vs an Inquisitor list yesterday, Crusader Henchmen and Death Cult Assassins is nasty. 3+ Inv save on 5 models and 5 models with 5 atks on chg that are power weapons. Ouch.)

3) I am planning on buying: (in boxes)

1 Battleforce
    2 Immortals
    2 Lychguard
    2 Command/Annihilation Barges
    1 Triarch Stalker
    2 Wraiths
    2 Tomb Blades
    1 Ghost Ark

This has no Destroyers, which I notice are FA and with Wraiths and Tomb Blades competing should I even consider Destroyers? How many Ghost Arks should I get?

4) What are your thoughts of this book then? Good/Bad? Ward didn't ruin it?

5) I notice on the GW site it states that you can take Night Scythes as a dedicated transport, yet i have never seen them in an army do they suck?

Thanks again for all of your help!
    Last edited by HAB_Incognito; May 10th, 2012 at 06:51.
    Armies: 40k: Imperial Guard, Orks Fantasy: Skaven

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

163 (x6)

Thanks everyone for the replies! Thats amazing never got that many responses all at once!

Anyway couple more questions:

1) Heard about a weapon called a Death Ray!? Is it really that good?! A unit takes as many hits as models in the unit? Or did someone tell me wrong?
    Have not use it yet, so I couldn't tell you anything from experience.

2) You see soooo many Grey Knights nowadays Do we fair ok vs them? (First time I ever played vs an Inquisitor list yesterday, Crusader Henchmen and Death Cult Assassins is nasty. 3+ Inv save on 5 models and 5 models with 5 atks on chg that are power weapons. Ouch.)
    Sadly, have not played against yet (crap, 0/2) but I would imagine we could hold our own if we keep out of CC and such. I honestly don't know the GK book almost at all, I have flipped the pages once when it 1st came out and that was literally about it hah

3) I am planning on buying: (in boxes)

1 Battleforce
    2 Immortals
    2 Lychguard
    2 Command/Annihilation Barges
    1 Triarch Stalker
    2 Wraiths
    2 Tomb Blades
    1 Ghost Ark

This has no Destroyers, which I notice are FA and with Wraiths and Tomb Blades competing should I even consider Destroyers? How many Ghost Arks should I get?

Alot of people don't like destroyers too much right now, they need to compete with our other FA options, and they just are kinda "meh" in comparison. Wraiths are good in CC, especially with a Destroyer Lord, and TBs are good at abusive/irritating units. Then their are scarabs, which alot of people love, who can eat tanks

4) What are your thoughts of this book then? Good/Bad? Ward didn't ruin it?
    I love it myself. I like the freedom of fluff, you can have a "new fluff" list, or you are free to have the old "mindless" lists with fluff. Which makes the crons much more inviting to have both. My bigget gripe is how we were basically given these really cool CC units, which all have to attack last. I think that if a couple of them (Guard, Wraiths and Flayed Ones) were I3, we would be much better off. Yes, still fight last after marines, but atleast it would be before the jkandkjandjkalsd Tau.

5) I notice on the GW site it states that you can take Night Scythes as a dedicated transport, yet i have never seen them in an army do they suck?
    No models right now. Once they get models, I plan on getting atleast one.

Thanks again for all of your help!
    NVR AGIAN! GRAA!!!!!! I kid, I kid

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast