Advanced Stabilization System question - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    27 (x1)

Advanced Stabilization System question

Hey all I had a question. Lately on the forums I have been seeing a lot of people putting Advanced Stabilization Systems on their broadside. I was wondering what the rationale is? They are more expensive and I know personally I like the versatility of the targeting array, being able to shoot at separate units. If someone could help me out with this it would be much appreciated, I always like to learn new ways to play my army.

thanks

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've understood the advantage of ASS to be that if you ever need to move broadsides, you're losing an entire round of shooting your best weapons. So, you have the option of either standing and shooting, but being assaulted or something, or moving and not shooting. Either way, your broadsides' effectiveness is reduced. So, to address this problem, you take ASS. move and shoot. yes, TL are nice if you're really confident in popping your target with a single suit, but I generally am fine with throwing an extra shot or two at a heavy hitter just to make sure it stays down. Additionally, having to shoot at a single target makes little difference if the broadsides are tied up in CC or dead. So basically, I think people are prioritizing mobility for multiple targets, and it seems to make sense to me.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    724 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by Darksun View Post
    Hey all I had a question. Lately on the forums I have been seeing a lot of people putting Advanced Stabilization Systems on their broadside. I was wondering what the rationale is? They are more expensive and I know personally I like the versatility of the targeting array, being able to shoot at separate units. If someone could help me out with this it would be much appreciated, I always like to learn new ways to play my army.

thanks
    Well as said by exbar the main benefit is not losing shooting due to movement; however the other thing is it allows you to move away from enemy units that are closing the unit down and allow the unit to still fire whilst they are backing off and possibly reducing the unit number of the attacking unit. The other obvious benefit is the A'S'S allows the XV88 to move to gain line of sight because no matter how well you deploy opponents movement will always put units out of LOS and having the ability to adjust without losing a round of shooting is absolutely vital.
    I keep repeating that the first two turns of shooting are where games are won or lost for the Tau and having the ability to move to gain LOS without penalty to shooting when needed in the first half of the game is absolutely vital to winning games, whether you use XV88's or Hammerheads.
    There is also no reason to not have the targeting array in a unit. Upgrading one XV88 to a team leader and taking A'S'S and a HW target lock means you get the mobility, unrestricted shooting and the ability to target two units.; however if it comes down to a straight choice then the A'S'S should always be taken over a target lock.

I actually find that the A'S'S is not effective in preventing assaults because of the randomness of slow and purposeful movement. When I do take the XV88 I equip them with A'S'S but I never rely on it to prevent assaults, I rely on deployment, blockading and castling to keep opponents units at bay and the A'S'S is there to give me the ability to get LOS when needed. I much prefer the Hammerhead because of its superior movement and its submunnition option; however that is just my preference.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    27 (x1)

Thanks for the input that explained a lot. Now I just got to get the points to fit and we can see how this works for me.

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

786 (x8)

I find the ASS most useful in mid- to late-game when I've run out of good targets for the railguns. I can then move the XV88s into positions where their SMS can be brought to bear.
    ninjabackhand: point and click, again, really? even after i give you an military term "shock tactic" you still call it point and click.
    RIP Warhammer 40,000: 21 Sep 1998 - 24 May 2014

+ Reply to Thread