Would this be a problem if I took my Tau to a tourney? - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    95 (x2)

Would this be a problem if I took my Tau to a tourney?

As title - basically my Fire Warriors are glued together holding the Pulse Carbines, whilst in my army they are equipped with Pulse Rifles - I just prefer the carbine models to the rifle models at the end of the day, but would this be a problem if I took 'em to a tourney?

Thanks

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    26 (x1)

Probably since the equipment is supposed to be represented on the model. Pulse carbines aren't really a bad choice though if you keep your fire warriors locked inside a devilfish in reserve.

The ORIGINAL Sniper Puss eiglepulper's Avatar
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    596 (x8)

It probably would be a problem, yes. Most tourney organisers insist on WYSIWYG, and carbines =/= rifles. It could also confuse your opponent. A solution would be to keep the FWs in a Devilfish with their Carbines, as already suggested.

E.
    "Tau Commandment #226: Participants who use Velocity Trackers in the Tau Clay Pigeon Tournament will be disqualified"

Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    298 (x8)

Yeah, carbines make it easier to shoot while fleeing for your miserable life!
    IG since 1999 __ DA since 2002 __ Tau since 2005 __ SoB since 2007
    Brets 1997-1999 __ TK since 2009 __ Empire since 2010

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

95 (x2)

Thanks everyone I kinda knew it would probably go this way...

With that in mind what would you suggest I do? There's a couple of options as far as I can see:

1) Dont use those particular FWs for tourneys, and get some more - build and paint in exactly the same way except give 'em rifles instead of carbines

2) convert 'em into rifles, dunno how I'd do it though

3) cut off the arms and give 'em rifles - out of the question really, FWs are a pain to paint as it is, let alone having to cut bits off and re-paint...

Which of the above do you think I should do? Or do you have a different suggestion?

Also I may as well ask, are Carbines a viable tactical alternative to Rifles anyway? Or are they just sub-par in comparison?

Thanks

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    48 (x2)

It really depends on what you use them for. If they sit in a transport, carbines are equal to rifles and might actually have a slight advantage. If you use fire warriors to stand off and shoot, carbines are at a disadvantage.
    Gareth is the person I try to impress when I convert and paint.

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

786 (x8)

I wouldn't worry overmuch about it, Adder. You shouldn't be taking very many FWs anyway, and you shouldn't be depending upon them for offense no matter what gun they carry. Yes, given the standard Walk-On-From-Reserves-To-Claim-Home-Objective and Bunker-In-Devilfish-Until-Forced-Out-Or-Completely-Safe-Opportunity-To-Shoot-Presents-Itself scenarios (the only scenarios FWs are any good at), the rifle is a superior choice. But not so much that taking carbines is going to ruin your army list.

Who knows? Maybe FWs will be juiced up in the new codex that carbines will be a really great option all of a sudden, and you're just ahead of the curve?
    ninjabackhand: point and click, again, really? even after i give you an military term "shock tactic" you still call it point and click.
    RIP Warhammer 40,000: 21 Sep 1998 - 24 May 2014

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

95 (x2)

Quote Originally Posted by Astantia View Post
    It really depends on what you use them for. If they sit in a transport, carbines are equal to rifles and might actually have a slight advantage. If you use fire warriors to stand off and shoot, carbines are at a disadvantage.
    Well.... In most of my Tau games I've used FWs in Devilfish transports armed with rifles, however to be most effective I've had to park 'em 12' from the enemy to get that rapid fire shot off, although I most sit a little bit out of that and let the enemy come to me - only problem is that either way, once the enemy are within 12' they're automatically in range to assault either the FWs or the Fish... so I'm risking losing one or both if I rapid fire - in that respect, maybe carbines are better in transports - they give a turn of shooting at 18', and then all you have to do is move back 6' for another round of shooting.

However I am currently experimenting at the 500pt level on the suggestion of another Tau player of doing a gunline Tau list instead (on the logic that the 85pts minimum for a Fish with upgrades is just too much to spend at that level to transport some FWs) - so obviously there pulse rifles are going to be mandatory I think. I'm just gonna try both really and see what I like, although at greater than 500 I'll probably go mech again.

I wouldn't worry overmuch about it, Adder. You shouldn't be taking very many FWs anyway, and you shouldn't be depending upon them for offense no matter what gun they carry. Yes, given the standard Walk-On-From-Reserves-To-Claim-Home-Objective and Bunker-In-Devilfish-Until-Forced-Out-Or-Completely-Safe-Opportunity-To-Shoot-Presents-Itself scenarios (the only scenarios FWs are any good at), the rifle is a superior choice. But not so much that taking carbines is going to ruin your army list.

Who knows? Maybe FWs will be juiced up in the new codex that carbines will be a really great option all of a sudden, and you're just ahead of the curve?
    Thanks for that - So is what you're saying about FWs that they're most effective as late game objective grabbers in a fish? And yeah, looking forward to the new 'dex, whenever it comes out... I can think of a few things myself that I reckon they'll change, the Devilfish points cost being one (which I reckon they'll probably drop down to maybe 35-50pts)

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    48 (x2)

500 point games are interesting, but completely irrelevant to higher points games. Once the enemy has enough points to mechanize or bring some heavy support, or bring units that are fast enough to get into combat quickly then it doesn't matter whether or not your fire warriors are toting rifles or carbines.

I feel that in 1000 point games or higher, every other army has a means by which to get closer then 18" very quickly. Pulse carbines are pinning, rifles are two shots within 12". Both options are not very great, and the points can be better spent elsewhere.

Like on suits. Or railguns.
    Gareth is the person I try to impress when I convert and paint.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

95 (x2)

Quote Originally Posted by Astantia View Post
    500 point games are interesting, but completely irrelevant to higher points games. Once the enemy has enough points to mechanize or bring some heavy support, or bring units that are fast enough to get into combat quickly then it doesn't matter whether or not your fire warriors are toting rifles or carbines.

I feel that in 1000 point games or higher, every other army has a means by which to get closer then 18" very quickly. Pulse carbines are pinning, rifles are two shots within 12". Both options are not very great, and the points can be better spent elsewhere.

Like on suits. Or railguns.
    Hmm, so what you're saying is whether or not the choice is rifles or carbines, people should only take the minimum amount of FWs to get a legal list (mech is optional), then use the remaining points for other areas where we can bring out the more useful Tau weaponry, such as plasma, missiles, fusion or railguns?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast