Alatoic Help Against Chaos - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ive been playing my friend with his dumb Chaos space marines and he almost always wins my army is this:

HQ
    Farseer
    mind war

Troops
    6 rangers
    6 rangers
    6 gardians
    6 gardians

Elites
    5 pathfinders
    5 pathfinders
    5 warp spiders
    with exarch

Heavy sapport
    1 falcon
    3 dark reapers
    with exarch

Any suggestions enable for me to beat my friend? also how do u role disruption i thought it was umm 1 per each ranger? but i dont no

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Originally posted by Alatoic of the ranger@Oct 28 2004, 239
    Ive been playing my friend with his dumb Chaos space marines and he almost always wins my army is this:

HQ
    Farseer
    mind war

Troops
    6 rangers
    6 rangers
    6 gardians
    6 gardians

Elites
    5 pathfinders
    5 pathfinders
    5 warp spiders
    with exarch

Heavy sapport
    1 falcon
    3 dark reapers
    with exarch

Any suggestions enable for me to beat my friend? also how do u role disruption i thought it was umm 1 per each ranger? but i dont no
    [snapback]240120[/snapback]

His army can't be that dumb if it's beating you all the time. What kind of Chaos army is your opponent using, what list does he generally use and what is his usual tactic? Specific info is helpful for getting specific advice.

One thing that helps generally against Marine armies is to take armour-busting weapons, so you might want to add a Starcannon platform to both of the Guardian squads. I'd drop Mind War from the Farseer and use Guide instead, but Mind War can be useful against Chaos for killing Aspiring Champions before they turn into Greater Daemons... I still think Guide is more useful though. Use it on the Dark Reapers because your snipers hit on 2s anyway and won't be missing much. You should also consider getting some anti-tank firepower because right now you only have the Falcon's main gun to do that job. I'd be tempted to drop the Warp Spiders (you already have decent anti-infantry firepower) and take Vypers with Brightlances.

And no, the Disruption Table rule is not 1 roll per individual Ranger... I recommend you read the relevant part in the Craftworld Codex very slowly and carefully, and also the updated 4th edition Eldar FAQ on the GW website.
    <u>Know thy Enemy</u>
    <a href='http://members.aol.com/intwg/trolls.htm' target='_blank'>-The Troll, Aggravor Pestis</a>
    <a href='http://mu.ranter.net/starcraft/bnet.html' target='_blank'>-The l33t d00d, Optimus Simula</a>
    <a href='http://40konline.com/community/index.php?topic=1993.msg496519#msg496519' target='_blank'>-The Spammer, Spammator Demens</a>
    <a href='http://members.aol.com/intwg/flamewars.htm#IPYW' target='_blank'>-The Flamer, Inflammator</a>

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    36 (x3)

HQ
    Farseer
    mind war
    Good choice against Chaos to take out nasty HQ&#39;s, however, you may be better with Guide of Fortune.

6 rangers
    6 rangers
    Fair Enough, you&#39;re Alaitoc, but make them 5 strong. Get one more squad.

6 gardians
    6 gardians
    Merge the squads and get a Starcannon Support Weapon & Warlock

5 pathfinders
    5 pathfinders
    Pretty good against Chaos, good choice.

5 warp spiders
    with exarch
    Ditch these in favour of Fire Dragons, or Banshees.

1 falcon
    Combined with the comment above, how about a 6-amn Fire Dragon sqaud in a Falcon. Give the Falcon a Starcannon, Shuriken Cannon, Holo-Field, and Spirit Stones.

3 dark reapers
    with exarch
    Excellent choice, I hope the Exarch has Fast Shot and EML.

Other good units against Chaos are: Wraithlord, Wraithguard, anything that carries a Starcannon. Try and find room for some more anti-tank stuff.
    You cannot win, for to fight us is to give us power.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    411 (x8)

What ne ulous said Except I would not touch the fire dragons
    Everything you have been told is a lie!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Since your battleline of static rangers is quite fragile to clc attacks i suggest you use a wraithlord to protect them. Most ppl dont wanna charge into a Wraithlord since they cant hurt them. I plan to use 2 WL in my alaitoc army of 1700p to hold enemy clc units at bay.

What you wanna do in a Ranger heavy army is to keep your distanse to the enemy.

V.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    47 (x4)

First off you cant combine the guardian squads as mentioned above, since you need 4 troop choices as alaitoc. If you need help in CC get either an avatar or wraithlord. They both have their pluses and minuses as the avatar is better against characters and the wraithlord is more sturdy against non-power fists

As V said, you need CC protection. Most competative armies cannot survive without some CC and shooting and having all shooting just lets you get murdered in CC due to eldar not having a ton of models

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Troops
    6 rangers
    6 rangers

My main suggestion is, Split these up into 4 squads of 3.

This has a lot of benefits.

1) Spreads them out so opponent has trouble getting to them all.

2) Increases their chance of getting wiped out in Close Comat. Which you want. (The reason you want this? If a Ranger is in CC I think all will agree that he is done for. So you do not want them to tie up a unit and keep you from shooting at it. So roll badly and hope they die =) )

3) Smaller units means less impact when you do lose one.

4) Of course it also means you get two more rolls on the Disruption table but that is just an ancillary benefit.

Really there is no reason not to do this. Same points cost, same models and the slots are free anyway.

But thats my two cents.
    -Colin

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I usually find that having slightly larger squads can be a good idea as well. They have a pretty low leadership and can be sent running quite easily. If 2 people are shot out of the squad and it runs it wont come back. If you have a 5 man squad theyll survive to shoot another day. Thats just from my experience as i always fail ranger morale checks...
    Although, if you ur emaining htree blokes did run away, and they usually stay quite close to the board edge where noone can reach them, then its a lot worse than your 1 ranger running away and not coming back.
    I always have 3 man squads for mobility, target choosing and such. So ignore my ramblings.
    Thx to mxylpic....ive never thought of those reasons before, maybe ill stop losing now...
    Well those are my pointless ramblings on the subject anyway....

+ Reply to Thread