How To Keep Tau Alive. - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hey. Im looking for advice rather then giving.

I need to know what the best formation is for tau against a CCB army, such as blood angles. I recently lost ot them, and had my entire army wiped out. I think it is because i spread them out to thinly and did not take broad sides ( i was later informed that i should have my head beaten in for making such a mistake). Would it be better to take as many high AP weapons as possible and just pick of targets one by one as they aproach ? I was thinking bunching them all together and then taking on squads one by one. I had one HH.

The only real problem i faced was that he had 7 deathcopmpany members PLUS the chaplain. 3 attacks each basic. not a good thing. Would keeping my units close together to kill his "free rhino" be a good idea ? It would be much better if they had to walk all the way right?

Suggested number of BS and CS would be really helpfull.

Thanks for your help

Lynx ^_^

A wise man once said: Blow me @$$wipe :lol:

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Putting your troops in transports makes you impervious to assault. A fully mechanised Tau army has little to fear from Assault oriented Marine armies or swarm armies like Tyrranids or Orks. Sure the static firing line seems attractive, but try that tactic on a heavy terrain table or against an army with 30+ assault marines and things won't quite work out the same.
    Mechanized Tau Tactica - A forum for the discussion of tactics relavant to Mech Tau armies.

The Guide to Mech Tau - An in-depth study of the strategies for running a Mech Tau army.

Game Geeks - A weekly video game talk show that I co-host. If you like video games, give it a listen!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Its funny every time i talk to my buddy Marius about tatics we get these great ideas for formations but when it comes down to it the formations always depend on the enemy and terrain. Yes BA can be a very hard army for tau to beat. Their incredible speed and devistating hth units (death company) are hard to contend with. I have unloaded my whole army into a death company squad and they were still there (but down a couple of buddies). As in every case with marines i would always advise taking out rhinos ASAP. Once they are all walking continue taking out assault squads and such. Then move your way down the prioity line of targets and destory them at leasure.
    "Only the dead have seen the end of war." -Plato

"Even the bravest cannot fight past their strenght." -Homer

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hmm, i have thought about teh rather attrctive idea of getting my 2 FW squads all tooled up in transports, but in a 1000 point game, it is just too many points, considering i have 6 crisis suits (including commander) + 2 broad sides and a hammer head.

I think i will buy some devil fish and use them in 1500 point games. That will work.

Tanks alot for your help with the devilfish and the rhino bit. I was planning on doing that, but it didnt quite work because i missed when shooting ( i rolled 3 1's on my commander with classic fire-knife kit) at it...bummer.

Anyway, i hope i will have some more positive and helpful things tio say on this topic later. I think i may make a 1500 mech tau army too. ht elist swill be something like.

Shas'o
    3 man crisis
    3 man crisis
    10 bonded FW w/devilfish
    10 bonded FW w/devilfish
    5 man drones
    5 man drones
    Hammerhead
    hammerhead
    hammerhead

If its not ehough points i will add in maybe some more crisis or some more FW

bye.

Lynx

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i agree, you should have yourself smacked for not bringing broadsides i once beat a BA player with my dark eldar a good few years ago, it was hilarious i just kept running away and he chased me round the board almost in a complete circle my raiders that day seemed to be blessed beyond belief as the they took hit after hit, howver since then the last few times i went up against blood angels i have been butchered, the only thing i can suggest is blow the snot out of his death company keep as far back as possible and concentrate on his assualt marines then his rank and file, but whatever you do take out his death company where they are concerned overkill is always a vaild option
    Quote Originally Posted by artificer
    The quote is "in the grim darkness of the far future, there is only war",
    NOT "in the grim darkness of the far future, there are these little, fat, drunken goits with beards!"
    WELL SAID, NO MORE SQUATS THEY ARE DEAD GET OVER IT

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Originally posted by cadre_of_storms@Nov 1 2004, 01:38
    but whatever you do take out his death company where they are concerned overkill is always a vaild option
    [snapback]242071[/snapback]
    A very, very good suggestion. Whevever i face DC, at least half of my army is dedicated to downing them, or at least disallowing the charge. I would say that DC would rate the attention of at least one full crisis squad, a team of firewarriors and perhaps a hammerhead. If absolutely have to, assault them before they can assault you. Kroot will work ok for this.
    The enemies of the Emperor fear many things. They fear discovery, defeat, despair and death. Yet there is one thing they fear above all others. They fear the wrath of the Space Marines!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I dont like using kroot for my army because of fluff reasons. The guy i play wih doesnt use assault marines, instaed choses to take two land speeders, 2 dreadnaughts and tactical squads with lascannons.

I think my current new list will work for 1000 poinjts against them.

Shas'0
    >MP + PR
    > HW multi-tracker
    >sheild generator

2 man crisis
    >F + BC x 2
    >multi-tracker x2

3 man crisis
    >Multi tracker
    >PR + MP

11 man bonded FW

11 Man bonded FW

Broadside
    > MUlti tracker

Broadside
    >multi tracker

hammer head
    >Multi tracker
    >SMS
    >rail gun

TOTAL : 999 points

The BS are different squads so that they can be moved a bit furthrt apart and they can fire at seprate targets with the added cost of a shas'vre and HW target lock.

Im so evil. See my mech tau idea in the other post, thanks for all your help so far. Im going to post this in the army list seciton

tanks
    Lynx

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hammerheads with Ion Cannons, and Broadsides are a must when facing Space Marines. Ion Cannons work nice for blasting Tactical Squads into dust, Broadsides for the tougher targets, and like mentioned previously, Transports for your Fire Warriors. They arent going to live otherwise.

Keep in mind, a couple Terminators or Assault Marines can slaughter a fully wargeared, bonded FireWarrior squad like they are little children.

With a transport nearby, you can pop drones, load up, and get the heck out of dodge. ( Drones will hold up the enemy )

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What?!? a BA army without Assault marines is just playing an army without using its strengths, he needs to take a look at another army if he wants a shooty army with some CC. With the Rage thing they have to roll for every turn most of the time they will tend to charge you anyway. Just field as many AP3 mulitple firing weapons as possible and blast him beofre he gets there. The luck of the dice(for 2 hit roles) may have a nice part to do with this scenario but this is a sound army agaisnt pretty much any marine army. BA's will just generally not shoot back as much and get into CC to make their statement

No assault marines in a BA army thats just ridiculous.
    The Hive Mind will consume all.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I know, but once you see the roles he make for death company...

The chaplain, d3 + 3 death company, PLUS any that turn. He took as many other small sqauds as possible, and it worked. on average, he got 1 from each sqaud, and had a fully loaded rhino of 9 DC plus the chaplian, which was enough to wipe out 2 FW sqauds, my shas'o AND a sqaud of 3 crisis suits.

Hmm, are devil fish worth the 80 points in a 1000 point game ? he had 2 dreadnaughts with lascannons and missle launchers. I think he was just mucking around, so i think ill play him 1500 next time and get those devil fish in there. I might get a few more hammer heads too to go with the list i made before.

Thanks

Lynx

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast