Would The Starter Set Be A Waste? - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    68 (x4)

I plan on going for my own mutated army, and I really don't like the concept of giving my gaunts fleshborers, and converting those things into scything talons would be a *****. I just don't see any purpose in wasting extra attacks for the ability to shoot 12 inches, instead of just covering that distance and getting up to 3 attacks per each model. And I'm not even sure I want genestealers, or ripper swarms. Right now I'm leaning towards loads of leaping with scything talon gaunts, warriors, warriors with heavy weapons, tyrant, and maybe fexs.

A youth with his first cigar makes himself sick; a youth with his first girl makes other people sick. - Mary Wilson Little

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

no genestealers are you crazy i know there not as good as 3rd edition pre codex but they still annhialate all but wyches in cc
    my Genestealer haiku:
    Genestealers get shot
    sometimes they make close combat
    then they slice off limbs
    <a href='http://kevan.org/brain.cgi?newdeathdealer' target='_blank'>oooooohhhhhhhh button&#33;</a>

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I just got it yesterday, so yes, it is worth it. You could file down the fleshborers and put some greenstuff on them to look like spine fists if you want spinegaunts.
    You call those cheap implants boobs?
    They aren't boobs, they're lies!

http://download.theforce.net/theater...orkman_480.mov

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

68 (x4)

But, I don&#39;t want spinegaunts ~.~ I want scything gaunts.
    A youth with his first cigar makes himself sick; a youth with his first girl makes other people sick. - Mary Wilson Little

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    86 (x7)

Wouldn&#39;t buy BFM for the models alone... 10 Termagaunts You probably won&#39;t use, 6 &#39;Stealers in static positions (multiparts next summer), 4 Frag spores, 2 Bio-Acid spores, 2 Poison spores, a bunch of rather small Tyranid terrain features.

The crashed shuttle looks good, and I really like the smaller rulebook which is much more portable than the BGB.

Since I work and get paid, I had the financial resources to buy both BFM and the BGB.

Anyway, if You choose to go with BFM, You can clip away those FBorers and model ScyTals using epoxy putty. (Y)

BFM = Battle For Macragge (starter set)

BGB = Big Grey Book (4thEd Hardcover rulebook)
    "The meat things seek to destroy ourselves. They hunt us as we hunt them but they are weak and uncertain. The inferior flesh will be entirely destroyed, all biomatter consumed. Ourselves will fight to the last, all weak flesh must be devoured."

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

68 (x4)

Ohh, no, I meant the tyranid battle force. Sorry for the confusion.

And I&#39;m gunna miss my BBB, I had it all taken part and all the pages individually sleeved. And I put them in a Big Black Binder, and had little tags for the different sections.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    86 (x7)

The Battleforce? Hrm, I did find it odd that You mentioned Rippers previously...

Anyway, no need to bother about the Rippers... You don&#39;t pay for them, after all.

As for the contents:

3 Warriors
    16 walking Gaunts
    16 Leaping Gaunts
    12 Genestealers
    3 Ripper Swarms

Let&#39;s take a look:

35.00&#036; box of Warriors (3 + 1 Ripper Swarm)
    30.00&#036; box of Gaunts (8 walk + 8 leap + 1 Ripper Swarm)
    30.00&#036; box of Gaunts (8 walk + 8 leap + 1 Ripper Swarm)
    30.00&#036; box of Genestealers
    ______
    125.00&#036;

Battleforce Box is listed at 100&#036;, which means You save 25&#036;, and essentially get the &#39;Stealers for a mere 5&#036;&#33; Genestealers aren&#39;t so bad that they wouldn&#39;t be worth the measly 5&#036;...

Actually, in the case You&#39;re from an European nation: Battleforce is 80€. Bought separately, the Warriors, Gaunts and &#39;Stealers would cost 102.50€ which means that essentially I get the &#39;Stealers for free, and still save 2.50€&#33; Quite a deal, I&#39;d say&#33;

And in the case You&#39;re from UK: Battleforce 50£, bought separately 57£, which means major saves, even if not as big as those living in other European countries&#33;

These calculated using the prices from GW Online Store.

Why do the prices fluctuate so much? Damned if I know... The only certain thing I can point out is that US residents pay more for Genestealers: In UK, Gaunts/Warriors are 15£ and &#39;Stealers 12£, €-countries Gaunts/Warriors come at 27.50€ and &#39;Stealers 20€.

Another point of interest is the fact that although the prices of individual boxes has gone up, the Battleforce Box hasn&#39;t, so You&#39;re paying less for the models You get.

And You get all of the Biomorph and Bioweapon sprues You would get from buying the boxes separately, so no worries there&#33;

Just remember, You still won&#39;t get enough ScyTal to give them to all Gaunts... That is an impossibility, since You can only get ScyTal with the Hormagaunt sprue.

So either convert or don&#39;t buy Gaunt boxes at all, ordering heaps of individual Hormagaunt sprues, four Gaunts per sprue. You don&#39;t get any Biomorph sprues, and it will get a bit more expensive than buying the Gaunts in boxes... However, now all of them will be Leaping ScyTal Gaunts, not half walking Gaunts with something else.
    "The meat things seek to destroy ourselves. They hunt us as we hunt them but they are weak and uncertain. The inferior flesh will be entirely destroyed, all biomatter consumed. Ourselves will fight to the last, all weak flesh must be devoured."

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

68 (x4)

Uzi, that&#39;s my problem. I don&#39;t want any gaunts with guns, and converted scything talons wouldn&#39;t look as good. And as for the stealers, I&#39;m not even sure I want them at all. So from what I want I&#39;m only getting a squad of Warriors and 16 scything taloned warriors. Which I could easily get for 67&#036; and have to buy some bases (32 for 4 spures of Hormagaunts, 35 for a box of wariors). Genestealers are really really ify at this point, I might go for experimenting with them (sub in some DE models) in a couple of games and if I like them maybe get a squad, or coax someone into giving me their&#39;s from the BFM, which I believe would still be legit in the game.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

lol uzi u forgot New Zeland&#33; dats were i live and da prices work out as

&#036;55 warriors
    &#036;55 guants
    &#036;55 guants
    &#036;55 stealers
    &#036;220

where the bat is only &#036;170 a saving of &#036;50

but archon you could just model spineguants+hormaguants and sell/trade the spines in for more hormies. theres plenty of people i know who would traade hormies for spines. and you could sell the stealers n stuff

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

68 (x4)

That&#39;s annother issue, I&#39;m not allowed to sell stuff, my mom would complaign about it being a waste and me not being responsible enough. My guess is, even when I do turn 18 and she is in MA, my sister (who I&#39;ll be living with) will probubly think the same thing.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast