Nids And "dipping" - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

k i know this aint the painting forum but i just want pictures/ tecniques of this method of painting. i have seen and read that main site that shows how to do this. but i just want to see some regular joe examples of this method, how did it turn out for u? are u happy with the effect? and advice before i start doing this?

thanks

btw if u need any info on this process check out this thread for more details

http://www.librarium-online.com/index.php?...4844&hl=dipping

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I love dipping. I love the glossy wet look, I like how some of the stain dries thickly in some parts, it fills in around teeth beautifully. I will say that some of your more brightly painted nids don't look as nice with it. My original purple and blue scheme was icky when dipped, dark colors are the way to go with it. Drawbacks, its messy and will stain you, your 'nids, your countertops and every other place you attempt to use it. The fumes are a bit noxious, but I think all of us who model know how to safely handle paint removers and smelly varnishes and stuff, lastly losing a single gaunt into a can of dip and having to fish him out later is sucky! I'm almost finished basing all my army, dipped nid pics coming here very soon.
    Do not meddle in the affairs of Tyranids, for you are crunchy and taste good with everything!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

awesome cant wait till i can see em, how long do u leave them in the stain? do u recomend doing this outside?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    139 (x8)

I looked at that other thread and those green nids look truly brilliant. If they really do come out that easily like that then I will have to do it for my nids, I am a bit skeptical though...

I would have thought lighter colours would be better, because the stain can show detail but with very dark models you won't see much anyway... What was the other thing... Ah yes, do you need to thin the stuff down a bit? And if they don't work out is it easy to remove the paint and start again? Or if I'm experimenting with different colours, which I probably will...
    The LO ANZAC Clan!

The Pirate's Haven BFG clan! Breathe life into this fantastic GW system.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If possible I would recommend doing this outside. I did it in my apartment though and am still alive to tell the tale. I don't need to remind any of you not to sit and breathe from the can so as long as you keep a fan going if you're working inside I found it tolerable but messy. Rubber gloves are nice to have around.
    As far as the dipping, I myself have a pair of Hemostats that I used to grip the base of my model, make sure your wood stain is mixed thoroughly and then just dunk it in and pull it out. No need to let it sit in the stain. When it first comes out it will look like the whole model is covered in dark brown varnish and you'll think you ruined the model. No worries just hold it above the can and let it drip off or tap it against some news papers to shake off the extra. Its gonna take a day or more to really dry, in the meantime it will be rather sticky so keep your hands off and whatnot. You don't need to thin the varnish down any before dipping, and I've learned its wise to transfer the entire can of varnish to a glass jar that you have a secure lid to. The varnish sticks on the lid of the can and you can't seem to get a secure seal later and your varnish ruins and drys out, so a glass container with a good lid works wonders. Lastly if you mess up a few models, a day or so in the cleaner Simple-Green will remove the varnish, stain, paint, primer and eventually your super glue too. I re-did my silver and gold gaunts in favor of the paint scheme I have now. Sorry if that took a while, I have 81 gaunt bases to paint today and then as promised pictures to follow!
    Do not meddle in the affairs of Tyranids, for you are crunchy and taste good with everything!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

thats for all the info, did u paint like all ur models first? then dip them all at once? i would think that would be the best way to do it. what stain did u use? and did u follow the same color scheme as the one on the website ? i would like to do a differnt color of green maybe... not to found of it..... maybe not a agreen at all... but i guess all stains are brown so maybe i should stick to it...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Call me nuts, but painting is a big part of the hobby for me. Dipping works, but it seems like such a 'shortcut'. I kind of like painting one small unit at a time... It should also help me improve my painting skills (and I need the help&#33

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I agree with WinnipegDragon. Painting is the second best thing about warhammer 40k, why would you want to make it short and repetetive? The dipped models look great, but if you have more time on your hands I would suggest painting them withour dipping.
    You call those cheap implants boobs?
    They aren't boobs, they're lies!

http://download.theforce.net/theater...orkman_480.mov

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    68 (x4)

Well, I plan on painting it the exact same way as if I weren't going to dip (black and white). But, I like the effect you get from dipping, so I just decided why not go for the dipping effect on top of what I was gunna do?
    A youth with his first cigar makes himself sick; a youth with his first girl makes other people sick. - Mary Wilson Little

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Has anyone tried drybrushing before dipping? Do you think it would look good or not?
    You call those cheap implants boobs?
    They aren't boobs, they're lies!

http://download.theforce.net/theater...orkman_480.mov

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast