Venoms...crambunket - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

venoms....bad.....

- First of all they are heavy support, so they deply first.... so the rest of the bad guys army can deply according to yours...

- they are open toppped...meaning +1 to all penetration rolls right?

- They have 10 armor all round

- they have a bad standard gun, and the upgraded guns arnt that great.

- They can only cary 6 + 1.

+ when moving over 6" it gets glancing only

+ holofields have to roll 2 dice for every glancing/penetration roll

- holofields (if you dont die) tend to make your transport not be able to move next turn...

-when you do get shot down...3/4 of the harlies will die. assuming you moved more than 6" (thats like everyturn)

- they are heavy support, up to a maximum of 3 for any given mission.

- they take the place of a possible wraithlord

did i forget anything? so after all this are they good or bad?

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    411 (x8)

Yes, you forgot the fact that harlequins are assult experts and quite easy to shoot to bits whilst they are moving up the field, a Venom means they move much faster and can gaurentee to be the one charging,

Yes there are risks but there are pretty good advantages too, if you dont feel that the risks out way the benefits then dont take them, but there are sufficient opportunities and stratergies to get them to work
    Everything you have been told is a lie!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Do you or does anyone else take 3 venoms? or enough venoms to take your entire army?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

for 45 points for your venom you can do this

Transport 6 harlies plus a great Harlie or Shadowseer (preferred)

Transport 12"
    Disembark 2"
    Fleet of Foot 1-6" (av 3.5)
    Assault 6"

total move into assault on average 23"
    Total potential move 26"

Or even better..

Venom carrying a solitaire

Transport 12"
    Disembark 2"
    Fleet of Foot 1-6" (av 3.5)
    Assault 6-12" (av 9)

total move into assault on average 26"
    Total potential move 32"

Now if you consider that to move up normally is 12" a turn and you stand a chance of getting harlies shot.......

If you have decent terrain it gets better.

Round 1 Move 24 into cover
    Round 2 disembark 2"
    Move 6"
    Fof 1-6" or shoot
    Assault 6

Venoms suddenly seem cheap. And if you are going small army you can't afford too many Wraithlords anyways, besides they die early if you are not careful.

The thing with Harlies is to USE that terrain!

-------------------------
    all things harlequin : http://www.harlies.org.uk
    'I am not surrounded, I am in a target rich environment' - Solitaire's Creed

---------------------------
    For all things harlequin
    <a href='http://www.harlies.org.uk' target='_blank'>http://www.harlies.org.uk</a>

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well were both right, if there is a single good piece of terrain your venoms are almost cheap. But if there isnt then you are going to lose like 4/6 of the harlies on the damn thing. thats a bad thing. After a few games of zooming 24" one turn then going 12 + disembark + Fof + assault...let me tell you its nasty.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Originally posted by BFTrick@Nov 20 2004, 01:23
    Well were both right, if there is a single good piece of terrain your venoms are almost cheap. But if there isnt then you are going to lose like 4/6 of the harlies on the damn thing. thats a bad thing. After a few games of zooming 24" one turn then going 12 + disembark + Fof + assault...let me tell you its nasty.
    [snapback]253482[/snapback]
    But there you have hit the nail right on the head.

These days peoplpe seem to think it is okay to have no terrain and play shooting matches. That is not WH40K&#33; You need terrain and plenty of it. I cannot understand why people do not do this&#33; a full quarter of your tabel space should have a mix of area and deep terrain. There should be plenty to hide a venom behind.

If you are willing to spend mucho money on the models, hours and hours painting them and then stick them on a flat, featureless battlefield, it is nonsense&#33;
    &#39;I am not surrounded, I am in a target rich environment&#39; - Solitaire&#39;s Creed

---------------------------
    For all things harlequin
    <a href='http://www.harlies.org.uk' target='_blank'>http://www.harlies.org.uk</a>

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You should see the tables and armies at my gaming club. Tonight the game i just watched. it was 3000 on each side. The movement phase was over in 1 second...no movement what so ever. It took at least an hour to get through all teh shooting (2 imperial guard, 1 space marines Dark angels) The other team was almsot taht shooty too. There is only one other close combat type army in my club. Maybe I just have a strange club?

O well, now i come early and set up the terrain. I dont have too much of a problem using the venom.

The only real problem I do have is using the venom and shooting and still getting evreyone in assault. I used the neuro disruptor thing....i forgot what its called. ITS WICKED&#33; 10 tau firewarrior casualties in one turn of shooting. Then my solitare cut down the last 2, and had an over kill of at least 4. The rest of my harlies didnt even get to attack....

But of course once that happens im stuck in teh open and i get rapid fired....

+ Reply to Thread