Tau Railrifles - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tau Railrifles

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    36 (x3)

I don't see the point in fielding them (except against marines, moofafaf&#33, they make the already expensive pathfinders even more expensive!

You cannot win, for to fight us is to give us power.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    37 (x1)

Regarding the expense of Pathfinders. Its all relative. Several weeks ago in a post I outlined the point-by-point difference in points and load out between a standard FireWarrior squad and a Pathfinder squad. I won't repeat that here.

Instead of looking at Pathfinders as Pathfinders, look at them as an 8-man Mobile (Devilfish) team of FireWarriors with heavy weapons (Seekers). As an added benefit, when they've used up all their Seeker missiles they can assist other units on the board to hit targets (Marker Light).

Its all about perspective.

Yes, the cost of an 8-man unit + Devilfish + 4 Seekers does add up; but when used effectively it makes up for its points cost.

The fact that now half of them can have a Railrifle weapon with similar stats as a Seeker Missile just prolongs their usefulness.

Enjoy,
    Jon
    [COLOR=DarkRedI got my tournament t-shirts at mathhammer.net[/COLOR]

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

im sellin tau, check out the buy sell room to see what im selling

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The Rail Rifle is Range: 36" S:6 AP:3 Heavy 1

The Targeter overheats like an imperial plasma weapon.

I think GW added it to boost sales for Devilfish and Pathfinders, but I think it also fills a niche. It gives an average trooper a weapon that will take down SM and tough monsters. Every other race has a sniper weapon of sorts, this one naturally is superior&#33; <_<

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Can you use the markerlights in your pathfinder squad to light targets for the rail rifles?

The rules aren&#39;t out in good old South Africa yet, but soon...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    37 (x1)

Nostromino

Can you use the markerlights in your pathfinder squad to light targets for the rail rifles?
    Of course.

A successful markerlight hit will allow any 1 model to fire their weapon at the same target with a To Hit of 2 (assuming that model also has visibility, line-of-sight and range to the same target)

Whether this will be a good use of a markerlight remains to be seen but technically it is within the rules.

Jon
    [COLOR=DarkRedI got my tournament t-shirts at mathhammer.net[/COLOR]

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I know the rules for the rail rifles have already been stated basicly, but could some one plz directly quote the WD rules on them? I just ordered some rail rifle pathfinders for my current unit, just to try em out...

What I can interperet is that the rail rifle is a range 36" s6 ap3 heavy 1
    and that it causes a pinning test. It costs 10 points per rifle to equip a pathfinder squad with the,m, and up to 3 rifles per squad. I also heard a target lock can be loaded on it, and it has the ability to overheat like an imperial plasma weapon. I guess thats about right, but anything else, I don&#39;t have WD.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think they only overheat if you target more than one unit, (i.e., if you use the target locks). That doesn&#39;t make any sense of course, but that&#39;s what I&#39;ve heard.

And I don&#39;t think they&#39;re worth the cost...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

its kinda cool if you think of them as a fast attack devistator squad. i&#39;m kinda still not satisfied about them though but i havent used them in actual combat. i doesnt seem to do enough damage for all the points for the whole squad. with the tau&#39;s horrible bs (there i said it ) you hoping to kill less than 2 marines a turn on average.

it seem like they&#39;re breaking the rules with all that "powerful weapons are only restricted to high officials"

maybe we&#39;ll see more heavy weapons on our fire warriors in the future...........
    Warhammer is expensive.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think its fine, as long as you don&#39;t take it with the intensions of killing space marines. The fact of the matter is, if you go out and buy these guys so you can fire three str 6 ap 3 shots with bs 3 at marines, then you&#39;re a moron. It cost 80 points for the devilfish, and 99 for a squad of four pathfinders, three of them with railrifles. For that 180 points, you could get two crisis suits with killer upgrades, two fusion blasters and two plasma rifles, with a total of 6 str 6, and 8 ap 2. You can also give them shield drones to protect them, or whatever you want.

On the other hand, if you play pathfinders because you enjoy using the markerlight/seeker missile combo, or like painting tanks or dreadnoughts for your hammerhead, then it might be a nice bonus to get the extra firepower. And I&#39;m DEFINITLY not going to complain about the extra option. I might complain about there not being enough options for us, and maybe too many options for space marines, those BASTARDS. THOSE OVERPOWERED BASTARDS&#33;&#33;&#33; GOD DAMN ASSASSIN&#33;&#33;&#33; GOD DAMN UNBALENCED ARMY THAT ALWAYS SENDS ME ON A RANT&#33;&#33;&#33; DAMN THAT ASSASSIN THING THAT DEEP-STRIKES WITHOUT ERROR, SHOOTS AND ASSAULTS THE TURN IT COMES ONTO THE BOARD, IGNORES ALL SAVES, EVEN INVUNERABLE, HAS ITS OWN 4+ INVUNERABLE, 120 POINTS AT THE VERY MOST. DAMN LAS CANNON THAT THEY CAN PUT ALL OVER THE PLACE. LIFE&#39;S BAD, REAL BAD, AND ITS BECAUSE OF THE DAMN SPACE MARINES.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast