Raveners Or Winged Warriors? - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    68 (x4)

Alright, I can't decided between the two. Any advice about them to help me decided?

I'll give you my fleet in a little while, gotta run now though, wouldn't have remembered the question had I let it slip away from me.

A youth with his first cigar makes himself sick; a youth with his first girl makes other people sick. - Mary Wilson Little

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Earth> USA> NewYork> Schenectady> My Pants
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

74 (x4)

Most people will tell you to go with Leaping Warriors over both. But if you're dead set on picking one of the two, there are some options to consider:

Cost: Both Raveners and WW, geared up for CC, are going to be roughly the same pts cost(45 for Rav. anywhere from 43-48 for WW)

Saves: WW win on this one, they can be modded up to have 1 better than Ravs.

Attacks: This point goes to the Ravs. They have 1 higher base attack than a Warrior. They can both take ST, so Ravs still come out ahead.

Movement: It's basically the same if the charge, 18". WW get a larger movement phase but a shorter assault phase, where Ravs just split it, move and assault the same. Heavy terrain boards, you want fast walker/leapers over flyers.

The all mighty Gaunt: Ravs don't even get to enter this category. Being only FA choices and not Synapse critters, they themselves suffer from IB rolls, and don't really help you herd your mindless little footsoldiers.

WW are slightly better (Saves, Synapse), but Ravs hit harder(Attacks). Points wise and movement wise, they are fairly equal.

Hope this helps you.
    Gyauayuayuayua! Ja! Ve vill crush da little girly men in deir little girl men awrmor! Ve vill see owur enemies driven befowur us, und hear da lahmentaytions of deir wemen. Und from owur home planet, de stayte uf Califowurnia, ve vill lawunch owur mighty offensive. Even if you kill us, ve'll be bach!! Gyauayauyauyauyau!

-Arnoldunit Schwarzenecronegger; when questioned about the impending doom he would rain down upon the heads of his doomed enemies.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Raveners are fairly high priced and are metal individual models. They are not as hardy as a warrior and are not mutable. They "make up" for these things by being quick on the run and quick on the charge. Plus they take up a fast attack slot which is nice, as retarded as it sounds we don't have many fast attack choices. 2.

Warriors are more of a doable price and are plastic, coming in groups of 3. They are tougher and much more customizable. Leapers are considered about even with a ravener movement/assault wise. About the same selection of weapons if not more. Can take up different force slots depending on how they are made. Winged can deep strike and move faster than a ravener, but do not gain benefits from cover as a ravener can. Warriors provide synapse and can blow mines.

It would depend on what you are facing and what else you have. I like the idea of DS'ing warriors in with RC ST as opposed to running them across the field to get shot up. Winged, fully decked out CC warriors will cost more point wise than raveners. Warriors are much more flexible, can be used as a leaper or a winged depending on how you convert. As for winged warrior vs ravener, i'd take warrior.

I never use the raveners, as I think warriors are weak as is, they do need to be any more fragile or less nasty in cc than a leaper. With leaping involved, the speed bonus of a ravener means near nothing to me. Take a basic warrior pt cost, add leaping. Its still less than a basic ravener with no weapons.

I have thought about converting a brood of warriors to wings, but it just isn't worth it. I would much rather have leapers for almost any situation.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    86 (x7)

Third time's the charm... I'd also much rather take Leaping Warriors over both.

Otherwise, I'd go for the Ravener... I find it enough that my CC Tyrant with Wings can't get into cover to deal with enemies there, so I don't want my lesser CC-oriented creatures suffering from the same. Of course, if You know for certain that there will be enemy targets out in the open, winged CC Warriors might work... And get shot to death afterwards.
    "The meat things seek to destroy ourselves. They hunt us as we hunt them but they are weak and uncertain. The inferior flesh will be entirely destroyed, all biomatter consumed. Ourselves will fight to the last, all weak flesh must be devoured."

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

68 (x4)

Yes, who wouldn't go for leaping warriors over both ~.~

But leaping warriors are elites, and raveners and winged warriors are fast attack, huge difference here. My list is as fallows:

Tyrant with wings, all stat biomorphs, warpblast, and 2 sets of scything talons, and depending on the opponant, psychic scream

Tyrant, same as above, no wings

Tyrant gaurd

Warriors with leaping, all biomorphs ('cept enhanced senses), scything talons and rending claws

guants scything talons

Raveners with scything talons and rending claws or the same warriors from above with wings

Biovores

Carnifex with enhanced senses, extended carapace, and double venom cannons

Zoanthropes with psychic scream depending on the enimy (psychers)

I dropped licters because I see no point in them. I dropped stealers because they cost to much and I want hordes of guants (50% of my pointcost, 6 squads of 32 in games 2000+ points). I dropped gargoyles because to me they cost to much for the only purpose I see them as (cannon fodder). The warriors are still up for change, not sure if I want to make them cost that much (41 points a piece, ouch). And I don't really care that much about how many species I have, I've just cut it to what I need.
    A youth with his first cigar makes himself sick; a youth with his first girl makes other people sick. - Mary Wilson Little

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Originally posted by archonofdeath@Nov 8 2004, 16:46
    But leaping warriors are elites, and raveners and winged warriors are fast attack, huge difference here.
    [snapback]247016[/snapback]
    And the huge difference is.....

I'm too tired to comment on your "fleet", I would have to type a couple pages. Maybe later or something. If you're going to post a list, give some numbers and specifics.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

68 (x4)

Originally posted by Pyre@Nov 8 2004, 21:24
    And the huge difference is.....
    [snapback]247165[/snapback]
    One is fast attack (what I'm looking for), the other is elite (what I already have figured out).

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

68 (x4)

AHH! I had finally decided on Raveners, but now that I went through all the calculations they both come out to be the exact same number of points. And I went through calculating how many wounds they'd do in combat, they both have the same!

So I guess it's gunna have to be warriors with wings.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This may be a little late, but ill post it anyways. I have 3 squads of 3 winged warriors in my list and one lone ravener(in 1500 pts).

Yes, I know that leaping warriors are better, but I converted my warriors to have wings before the new rulebook so im keeping them now. I find that having one ravener by itself is a great asset. Most opponents wont pay attention to it and it can still tie up a squad by itself or claim a table quarter.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

68 (x4)

Hey, what did you use for wings on them?

+ Reply to Thread