Tactica Question... - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    68 (x4)

Alright, I'm always hearing about how you should assault with guants first then warriors then cleen up with tyrants and 'fexs. But wouldn't it make more sense to assault with your bigger guys first? Sure they might not keep up (unless it's a winged tyrant) but wouldn't it be better to have you tyrant assault then your gaunts, because you have to get guys in each unit in base contact in order to be in combat at all. The gaunts would take up to much room so your tyrant couldn't fit into the assault.

In case you didn't understand that cus I have a tendancy to ramble:

What I think you should do: Tyrant attacks, tyrant reaches base contact. Gaunts Attack, gaunts reach base contact.

What I've been advised to do: Gaunts attack, reach base contact. Tyrant attacks, misses base contact because there are to many gaunts.

Of course you want gaunts to reach combat first if you are just trying to tie someone up (a wraithlord for example), but when you want them both in the assault wouldn't a tyrant be the best to start with, then your medium creatures then the gaunts?

A youth with his first cigar makes himself sick; a youth with his first girl makes other people sick. - Mary Wilson Little

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thats probably cuz fexs have less movement and is much slower than gaunts so they wont be able to keep up :hmm:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Just try to get into cc as fast as possible, no matter which type of tyranid it is. It just usually happens that gaunts hit first since the leapers are a lot faster then most warriors and tyrants and especially fexes.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

68 (x4)

Well, my gaunts aren't leapers. "Why?" you may ask, because they would cost to much. I like the bonus attack I get for that 1 extra point, but anything beyond that would just be a waste, pointwise, for something that's entire purpose is to die and take up the opponant's time.
    A youth with his first cigar makes himself sick; a youth with his first girl makes other people sick. - Mary Wilson Little

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

spinegaunts die, hormagants kill, coupeesh?
    if you are reading this signature, then you are wasting you're time, and i am wasting my time by writing it, so run along now, jimmy, run along.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

68 (x4)

I'm set with paying 6 points for a scythe gaunt, having it cheap and possibly able to kill something. They are all ment to die or hold up units. Like Uzi says, they aren't supposed to kill anything, it's just a perk when they do. And hormagaunts are to expensive, if I wanted that I'd just pay the extra 6 points and get genestealers.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    86 (x7)

Well, as I've stated I myself like the enhanced speed of the Leaping Gaunts...

As for tactics... As said, the Gaunts are faster than most other 'Nids and thus they will usually reach CC first. Of course, everything should be moving to CC as fast as possible, and if You have the realistic possibility to assault and engage the opponent with other creatures before the Gaunts arrive, then do so.

No reason to loiter around if You have the chance to inflict damage. ^_^
    "The meat things seek to destroy ourselves. They hunt us as we hunt them but they are weak and uncertain. The inferior flesh will be entirely destroyed, all biomatter consumed. Ourselves will fight to the last, all weak flesh must be devoured."

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    35 (x1)

The main 'nid strategy is to get into combat ASAP. The advantage gaunts have is fleet. This usually puts them out in front. Leaping/winged warriors and infiltrated 'stealers may be in front. Strange as it may sound you DON'T want your leading broods to win, unless you can consolidate into another squad. The large broods block large lines of sight. This will give slower broods a chance to move up safely. Assaulting early with a large brood of stealers will more than likely kill most marine squads. This means your stealers may be left in the open and rapid fired to death. Assaulting early with warriors risks the hidden sargent with a power weapon. You could easily loose 2 or 3 VERY expensive and important models.

With large gaunt broods most marines just can't kill them fast enough. Sure, concentrated fire can decimate a brood a round, but what about the other broods & the big bugs.

I have found spinegaunts to be a very effective meat sheild. And they are so cheap who cares if 20 or 30 die as long as my nasty bugs get into close combat. Once they are in combat the majority rule will normally assign wounds to the gaunts. Would you rather loose a 16 point 'stealer or a 5 point spinegaunt?

Don't underestimate the speed and hitting power of leaping gaunts. They move 6' + 1-6' fleet + 12' assault (thats 19 - 24&#39. In addition only one gaunt has to reach base to base contact and everything within 4' of it gets all its attacks. If 12 make it into assault thats: 36 attacks, 18 hits, 6 wounds and 2 failed saves. Add a lictor or couple of warriors and your opponent has problem to deal with. Does he move to support the unit (ie move closer to the bugs) or leave it to die?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    86 (x7)

Originally posted by Zerling@Nov 14 2004, 03:34
    I have found spinegaunts to be a very effective meat sheild.
    --- I find it best to call it a CC meatshield... Less chance of misinterpretation.

Once they are in combat the majority rule will normally assign wounds to the gaunts. Would you rather loose a 16 point 'stealer or a 5 point spinegaunt?
    --- Irrelevant: Majority rules only apply to units with models which have differing stats...

A brood of Gaunts and a brood of 'Stealers are two separate entities, and the enemy would attack them separately from each other.

Enemy unit in combat with 6 'Stealers and 12 Gaunts. You would not use the Majority WS or Toughness, because You're fighting two separate units.
    "The meat things seek to destroy ourselves. They hunt us as we hunt them but they are weak and uncertain. The inferior flesh will be entirely destroyed, all biomatter consumed. Ourselves will fight to the last, all weak flesh must be devoured."

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

As far as i see the best reason to have the Hive Tyrant directly behind the swarm is because the opponent will aim every lascannon at the board on your Tyrant, but by having your Tyrant to the back you can attempt to hide behind terrain out of LOS and hope that they will be out of range or too bothered with the 100 or so Gaunts run for their breakfast and 'last meal'.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast