3,000 Point Eldar - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hi there.

Just getting back into 40k after a long stint out of the hobby. I'm picking up my old favourites, the Eldar, and am working on a 3,000 point list, which should keep me occupied (and short on cash) for a while.

After numerous refinements, this is what I've arrived at. Further input would be greatly appreciated.

Oh, and I am aware that the majority seem to consider Dire Avengers inferior to Guardians. Despite this, I have a soft spot for the Dire Avengers, and don't plan to allow Guardian squads into the list. While comments on possible alterations to the Avenger squads are welcome, don't worry about trying to convince me to field Guardians instead.

I am very interested to hear whether or not my second Wraithlord is considered innapropriate. I have been told more than one is generally unacceptable. I'm thinking two in a 3,000 point list is reasonable, but would gladly remove it if the consensus is that it is not.

The general concept for this list is a reasonabe core of numbers and firepower, backed up with a fast, mobile reserve.

Oh yeah, and in case it isn't immediately clear, I'm using two detachments. Although, now that I think about it, I might consider changing it to single detachment legality ... interesting notion. In that case, I'd do somthing like drop the Avatar and lone Farseer, as well as a Wraithlord, and flesh out a few of the other units. Plus some more Rangers, I think.

Edit: Ok, I'm sold on that idea. The list has been edited to fit a single detachement. Which also solved the potential issue with two Wraithlords.

Thanks in advance for any input.

HQ
    Farseer: Mind War, Fortune, Ghosthelm, Shuriken Pistol, Witchblade, Runes of Witnessing.
    Warlock: Enhance, Singing Spear
    Warlock: Conceal, Singing Spear
    Warlock: Destructor, Witchblade, Shuriken Pistol

Jetbike Farseer: Singing Spear, Guide, Runes of Witnessing, Ghost Helm
    Jetbike Warlock: Enhance, Witchblade, Shuriken Pistol
    Jetbike Warlock: Destructor, Witchblade, Shuriken Pistol
    Jetbike Warlock: Conceal, Singing Spear

Elite
    9 x Striking Scorpions, Plasma and Haywire Grendades, Exarch w/Scorpion's Claw, Wave Serpent w/Starcannon and Spirit Stone

Second Striking Scorpion squad as above

6 x Fire Dragons, Plasma Grenades, Exarch w/Firepike and Burning Fist (transport in Falcon)

Troops
    4 x Ranger

4 x Ranger

4 x Ranger

10 x Dire Avenger, Exarch w/Power Weapon and Distract

Fast Attack
    9 x Swooping Hawk, Exarch w/Web of Skulls

3 x Vyper, Starcannon, Vectored Engines

Heavy Support
    Falcon, Starcannon, Holofield, Spirit Stone, Vectored Engines

Wraithlord, Bright Lance, 2x Flamer

4 x Dark Reaper, Exarch w/Crack Shot

Total Point Value = 2,999

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

LO's Shadow Captain Lost Nemesis's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

830 (x8)

Well, first of all, you might want to get a few more actual infantry models. Maybe another squad of DA or something. It seems like your HQ is soaking up a LOT of points. Also, you don't have 2 Wraithlords in the list (as you already have 3 Heavy Support entries and only one Wraithlord present) though I would still play against someone, in just about any game, if they had 2 Wraithlords. It would depend on what people you play with would think (as I've heard a LOT of people screaming CHEESE about it).

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sorry, I was a little unclear about the Wraithlord.

The list I originally posted used two detachments. I actually edited my post a bit after first posting, to make it fit a single detachment. That inluded dropping a heavy support (the Wraithlord) from the second detachment.

I have also noticed I have two Warlocks with Conceal in units with a 4+ invulnerable save. :wacko: As such, I've decided to remove Conceal from the foot Warlock, and removed the Concealing jetbike warlock altogether.

Point values for HQ now are: Foot 216; Jetbike 262 (16%).

I could certainly combine the Rangers into two squads (maybe 5 in each), and then possibly make a few other adjusments to get a fourth DA squad. I will think upon this (and await further comments).

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

830 (x8)

A lot of people would agree with me in that your HQ is still far, far too expensive. Over 400 points for an HQ is really expensive, no matter how large the army. With those points, plus putting those Ranger squads into only two squads, should give you more than enough points to give you a little added Infantry bonus. How are you planning to get your DA into close combat without them getting shot up? Keep in mind that the other army will have 3000 points as well, and they'll have more than enough firepower to blast away at your guys (or they'll have a better counter-assault unit).

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ok. In that case, what would you suggest that I remove from my HQs, and why? Drop some of the weaponry, or whole models?

I'm thinking that the jetbike HQ's main function would be to stay close to the Vypers and use Guide on those Star Cannon, while the Far Seer uses his Singing Spear to tank-hunt.

As for the other HQ, I don't really have a strongly defined role in mind, although they will probably hang out near some DAs.

I've altered the list to inclue four squads of 10 DAs and 2 squads of 5 Rangers.

I suppose I could move the Wave Serpents to two DA squads, and give the Scorpions Infiltrate, although that would limit the Scorpions' versatility after initial deployment.

With points left over, I wouldn't be averse to adding an extra Ranger to each squad, as I'm going to have the spare minis anyway.

It would depend on what people you play with would think (as I've heard a LOT of people screaming CHEESE about it).
    I have no worries that I could come to an amicable agreement with my likely opponents, who will all be friends - I have no desire to play regular games with strangers. I'm just trying to avoid fielding unfairly balanced armies against said friends, and get a feel for general expectations in the (likely) event that I entire the odd tournament.

Thanks for the feedback so far.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

830 (x8)

Keep in mind also that I'm not the most experienced Eldar player, though I learn most of what I know off of these forums (and logic).

If I were you, I'd ditch one of the HQ's, honestly. Either keep the Jetbikes for their speed or keep the footslogging HQ, it's up to you, but with their points you can get a bit more added into your army. (Probably more that can make up its points)

That's only what I would do, however, so it really is up to you, how you want to play, and how your opponents will play. If the two HQs would work well against them, then go for it, but otherwise IMO it's just a huge point sink. (Maybe add some more Waver Serpents?)

Don't foget that DA, while leaning more towards CC than Guardians, are still inferior to most armies' CC units, including Eldar (Striking Scorpions and Howling Banshees could beat DA easily, IMO). They won't stand up to the same things as other CC units can.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The DAs certainly weren't taken as a CC choice. They're there to do the grunt work; attract fire, screen other units, lay down large volumes of small arms fire when possible, and to charge closing enemies en mass.

The scorpions and HQs are my CC units.

Thanks again for your comments. Hopefully I can get some feedback from other sources, and weigh up the pros and cons of various options.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

830 (x8)

Good luck with the army, and above all have fun with it. ^_^

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

y do u hav conceal on the warlocks in ur HQ's?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Heretic: that would be to give them a 5+ Cover Save. And possibly also because I forgot they had a 4+ Invulnerable.

LN: I'm not entirely convinced that my HQ point values were too high. But, I did come to the realisation that Mr Foot Farseer would probably be better served joining one of my Scorpion Squads (and, fortuitously, they have room in their Serpents for one more). Hence, three more Warlocks have left the list. That leaves the HQs at 355pts/11.8%.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast