Fuzzy Nids? - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fuzzy Nids?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My friends and I were talking about my new paintscheme, ( an artic looking camo) and the idea of nids becoming furry in order to survive a cold climate came up. Should I do it? If so, what should I use and what would be the easiest way to do it?

I am with stupid /\

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    68 (x4)

Noone ever said they couldn't. And if anyone ever says anything tell them they are micro-fibers made of the same material that is their skin and what the microfibers do is keep cold out.
    A youth with his first cigar makes himself sick; a youth with his first girl makes other people sick. - Mary Wilson Little

Earth> USA> NewYork> Schenectady> My Pants
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

74 (x4)

Easiest way I can think of would be to decide which areas you wanted to be fuzzy, like the skin or the carapace. Then I'd lay down a coat of base color. Then I'd flock the hell outta that puppy. Hobby stores sell many a wide variety of flock ( I even saw a flock called "crushed velvet" once. Pick up the color you want, then paint on a layer of glue over the are you want flock. While it's still wet, dip it in the flock. You'll need to let it dry thouroghly (sp?) before you shake off the excess.
    Gyauayuayuayua! Ja! Ve vill crush da little girly men in deir little girl men awrmor! Ve vill see owur enemies driven befowur us, und hear da lahmentaytions of deir wemen. Und from owur home planet, de stayte uf Califowurnia, ve vill lawunch owur mighty offensive. Even if you kill us, ve'll be bach!! Gyauayauyauyauyau!

-Arnoldunit Schwarzenecronegger; when questioned about the impending doom he would rain down upon the heads of his doomed enemies.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    86 (x7)

Or You could consider using static grass to cover most parts of the model...

Oh, look at them, all warm and fuzzy!
    "The meat things seek to destroy ourselves. They hunt us as we hunt them but they are weak and uncertain. The inferior flesh will be entirely destroyed, all biomatter consumed. Ourselves will fight to the last, all weak flesh must be devoured."

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Originally posted by cropilot@Nov 23 2004, 21:39
    My friends and I were talking about my new paintscheme, ( an artic looking camo) and the idea of nids becoming furry in order to survive a cold climate came up. Should I do it? If so, what should I use and what would be the easiest way to do it?
    [snapback]256426[/snapback]
    First of all, I love the idea, that'd be one unique bunch of 'nids. Problems that would keep me from doing it...
    I can't see 'nids staying on any icy cold world long enough to have the need to adapt to the cold.
    I can't see the cold even bothering them, staying warm would be a comfort that I just don't think the swarm would care about.
    My belief would already be that 'nids are rather impervious to temperature extremes in either direction, and if they were not I'd think they'd avoid a planet where merely surviving there were an issue.
    These points all being said, I love 'nids in the snow. Mine all have snow bases and they very much like playing in it. So again, I totally love the idea of them being fuzzy, but couldn't justify modeling my own that way.
    Like Uzi said though, static grass would work wonders for fur. Some of those mossier brown and green colors as fur of of the carapace armor would look wicked. Kinda like raptors maybe? Good Luck!
    Do not meddle in the affairs of Tyranids, for you are crunchy and taste good with everything!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    189 (x8)

Fuzzy Nids? :blink:

"Look out, the fuzzy Hive Tyrant is gonna hug us to death."

A bit of a new and exotic idea, should be very ehm... interesting to see what they would look like.
    Go ahead with converting them but do show us some pics when their done

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    139 (x8)

You could also try just using green stuff to get a good textures effect, when you look at all the other models with fur and stuff they are still plastic or metal jus the shape is a bit different.

Or you could try getting the effect with painting, the corroect drybrushing or some other technique could give the right effect. That would be much easier, however, I don't think it would look nearly as effective.

Remember OOE was frozen and he survived, I really don't think nids would need fur either. The hive mind could have been on drugs when they were created though.
    The LO ANZAC Clan!

The Pirate's Haven BFG clan! Breathe life into this fantastic GW system.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

lepardskin nids!

"wheres my pimp sythe at?" Says the hive tyrant

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I went the oposite way. My 'nids evolved in a solar system where all the planets are close to the sun, hot and volcanic. They are all brightly colored. I use yellow-to-orange fade on the plating and bone white skin with a thin, light brown wash to highlight. Anything bigger than a gaunt has bio-acid (fire breath).

As for making fur, I agree certain flocks would probably give you the best results.

I also agree with trinkett, however, that I doubt the need to adapt fur would have been an issue. My 'nids are assumed to do just fine in the seering, uninhabitable (by human standards) heat. Over time their body temps have risen as a result of their environment. (thus the fire breath).

I wish I could work out a legal way to give them all (or at least many of them) the equivelant of acid blood to represent the extremely high temperatures of their body.

Hmm, I guess I rambled a bit there. Sorry about that.

An idea: rather than assume the fur is a result of cold, what if it is a byproduct of the genetic material they have been using? All the creatures on the ice world(s) would no doubt have tons of thich fur. So it isn't based on a need for warmth as much as a genetic trait based on available DNA. :shrug:

Regardless, good luck with this and I'm sure we'd all like to see pics when you have something started and/or completed.
    <span style='color:orange'>And the lands shall burn from horizon to horizon.
    Just as the sun cannot be prevented from rising,
    Neither can the inevitable be halted or avoided.
    Hive Fleet Infernus shall scorch all worlds in its path.
    </span>

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

68 (x4)

It&#39;s to help them blend in with the fluffy snow.
    A youth with his first cigar makes himself sick; a youth with his first girl makes other people sick. - Mary Wilson Little

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast