Seeding Swarm - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Seeding Swarm

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    -61 (x0)

So, I'm looking at the possibility of facing a Seeding Swarm army pretty soon here. Now, I have only a loose grasp of these guys' rules, but basically what I will be having to fight are a ton of deep-striking little bugs and very little else. The problem, of course is that there are a ton of them. And they deepstrike. And some can deepstrike into melee and that's just harsh all by itself.
    Furthermore, there are those pesky ones that come back whenever you kill them.

How many of you have had to deal with seeding swarm armies? How would you suggest getting around the annoyances they present?

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i've never faced a seeding swarm myself, but i was talking to another tau player who works at one of the local GW stores. he said he's never lost to a seeding swarm army...and he's never gotten to turn 6 either. and this guy's not the only player i've heard poopooing seeding swarms...

his army was mostly mobile from what i remember...which would obviously help.

i'm pretty sure the 'nids that come back after being destroyed come back far away on a table edge...so if they're CC broods, who cares? i don't have a 'nids codex on me so i could be wrong.

obviously others will probably give more specific advice, but i wouldn't be too scared

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    86 (x7)

Well, the first point is that You should decide the mission to be played using the strategy rating, as per the Seeding Swarm rules. Most probably the Tyranid will win, but just in case he doesn't...

Seeding Swarms will only work to their full effect in Battle missions (BGB pages 193-195). Only in these missions can the entirety of the swarm DS.

If You play any other mission, the Seeding Swarm is pretty much done for... Since in these missions the SS does not get to DS, except if the mission allows and even then only for those models which could do so normally when not part of a SS.

If Your opponent gets to choose a Battle mission, the only thing I think You really can do is to move Your units apart from each other, so that Tyranids which get into assault can't consolidate right off into another unit after they butcher Your Tau in CC.

Move any Vehicles as far as You can if there are no Tyranids on table, since that way Ferocious Tyranids landing on them or other Tyranids shooting will have less effect thanks to the Skimmer rules.

The two special rules of Seeding Swarms are:

Ferocious: Boosts the units Init and Str, which won't be of much use against Tau. What will be of use is that they're not destroyed by DSing onto enemy units, but enter CC instead!

The Ferocious unit will suffer automatic wounds, ask Your opponent to show the rules so that You know how this happens.

Do note that Ferocious is a nigh suicidal choice (and useless against Tau) if the Tyranid does not get a Battle mission, since then the Ferocious unit will have to footslog all the time taking automatic wounds and has no chance of using the only really useful ability, that of DSing into the middle of a Tau unit.

Also, note that the rules for Ferocious were written during the 3rdEd. Thus I suggest You use the 3rdEd DS rules for the Ferocious units only.

If You wish to use the 4thEd DS rules, then no official clarification exists... My interpretation is that Ferocious Tyranids will ignore enemy models when placing the rings, and as such may continue placing models even if normally interrupted by enemy models. If the initial model scatters onto an enemy model, place it next to the enemy model in BtB contact. The Ferocious Tyranids must be placed as close to the normal formation as possible. Terrain and such will have normal effects.

Without Number: This allows the Tyranid player to recycle his broods in a similar manner to the "Sustained Attack" scenario rule... Except that the recycled brood may always arrive via Deep Strike!

Note that in missions other than Battle, WON Tyranids will be deployed on table as usual. If killed/removed, the recycled unit will arrive via DS even if the mission doesn't allow. This is plainly said in the WON rules.
    "The meat things seek to destroy ourselves. They hunt us as we hunt them but they are weak and uncertain. The inferior flesh will be entirely destroyed, all biomatter consumed. Ourselves will fight to the last, all weak flesh must be devoured."

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Something worth noting on deep strike: even though his broods are not destroyed by landing on enemy models and enter combat instead, the tyranid player can still not target your unit with DS. His units must be placed a minimum of 1" away from yours. Now with a hit he will still be able to contact your units, but there is a greater chance of missing this way.
    The enemies of the Emperor fear many things. They fear discovery, defeat, despair and death. Yet there is one thing they fear above all others. They fear the wrath of the Space Marines!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

86 (x7)

Originally posted by Brother Marius@Nov 29 2004, 03:19
    His units must be placed a minimum of 1" away from yours.
    --- Not quite... Ferocious specifically waives the 1" minimum distance.
    "The meat things seek to destroy ourselves. They hunt us as we hunt them but they are weak and uncertain. The inferior flesh will be entirely destroyed, all biomatter consumed. Ourselves will fight to the last, all weak flesh must be devoured."

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Originally posted by Uzi-99@Nov 29 2004, 01:48
    --- Not quite... Ferocious specifically waives the 1" minimum distance.
    [snapback]260361[/snapback]
    either way though he cant assualt after deep striking? can he?

i played a bunker assualt with a nid seeding swarm, every tun he dropped broods of genestealers on me and every turn i just shot the livign hell out of them not one of his genestealer broods that he deep stiked in reached me, it was great, i eventually lost when his monstrous creatures strided in and demolished them, in kill terms though i must have beaten his army four times over.
    Quote Originally Posted by artificer
    The quote is "in the grim darkness of the far future, there is only war",
    NOT "in the grim darkness of the far future, there are these little, fat, drunken goits with beards!"
    WELL SAID, NO MORE SQUATS THEY ARE DEAD GET OVER IT

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

86 (x7)

Originally posted by cadre_of_storms@Nov 29 2004, 22:10
    either way though he cant assualt after deep striking? can he?
    --- He can not make an assault move, correct.

However, if a Ferocious Tyranid brood lands on top of an enemy unit, they will count as charging in the assault phase and fight in CC as normal.

in kill terms though i must have beaten his army four times over.
    --- Something to remember is that each time the Tyranid recycles a WON brood, You get the Victory Points for destroying it.

Of course, this only matters if the mission uses VPs to determine the winner.

LO Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

? I thought you only got VP if it was off table or damaged at end of game.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

No, you get victory points for every destroyed unit. That means you could kill a gaunt squad say 3 times over and get points for three squads.
    The enemies of the Emperor fear many things. They fear discovery, defeat, despair and death. Yet there is one thing they fear above all others. They fear the wrath of the Space Marines!

+ Reply to Thread