Librarium Online Forums banner

Take All Comers?

1K views 12 replies 11 participants last post by  Super Unknown 
#1 ·
Well I have read through a lot of the Eldar forum and not found too much to support or disprove this. Now some people say that every list must be custom to the army it is facing, but is this really true.
I am really tempted to start edlar, but if every list must be made custom for an army... Anyway can Eldar make a list that can at least fight each army decently. I know lists will always have their weak points, but can Eldar be made to fight maybe 8 out of 10 armies decently?
Anyway thanks in advance!

Edit: Also if they can, can someone give me any tips on making a vanilla eldar army that can be at least decent against most armies.

#2 ·
OF course they can!

If you make a list that can take on both Horde armies and 3+ save armies then you got a winner.

Then ofcourse, if you make horrible mistakes or are against an opponent's army is aimed to take care of that aswell. (As we all know Eldar conists of boths types).

Top Tip
Stick to one kind of army (Eldar of course)
Learn what's in the army and how they act on the battle feild.
How do they work against your friends armies

and etc.

^.^

/cheers and good luck :D

#3 ·
The main factor that got me into eldar is the fact they have something to deal with everything!

#4 ·
I would imagine that Beil-Tan could cope with any army, seeing as most people use a range of Aspect Warriors, giving them a range of combat roles. Others may say that this hampers them in this field, because they are not dedicated enough to pull off a victory.

#5 ·
Alright thanks. Any tips on units to take? An army list of mine should be in the army list forum soon. Check it out!

:ph34r: :ph34r: :ph34r: 100th post :ph34r: :ph34r: :ph34r:

#8 ·
Originally posted by tanglethorn@Dec 1 2004, 22:14
From what I hear you can't go wrong with Wraithlords.
[snapback]262863[/snapback]​
Yep a wraithlord with bright lance is a must in a vanilla army also a good alround unit is a guardian squad with starcannon and a warlock casting conceal. This can kill horde armies with the shuricats and 3+ armies with the starcannon and conceal makes them more resilient to enemy fire making them a flexible anchor for your vanilla army. I have 3 squads two with starcannon and one with scatter laser (for fun) and they are a reliable and stable platform from which your army can conduct both defensive and offensive tasks. Another good unit are Striking scorpions which although laking banshee power weapons and fof can infiltrate, have a 3+ save, save ton of CC attacks including the decent mandiblaster and if thats not enough they can be given haywire grenades so that not only do they get to massacre infantry, they can munch tanks aswell! And unlike the Banshees they are str4 and the exarch strength 5 withcrushing blow so they have a better chance of wounding their opponents. And he gets biting blade which is awesome against multiple wound units like heros and commanders.

#9 ·
A squad of just 3 rangers can be usefull I use them for 3 reasons. (1 squad of 3 rangers)

-They can pin units (Duh main reason)
-They can wound even a Wraithlord on a 4+. Not to mention other high T creatures like HT Talos.
-They are good anti infiltrating troops.(Il try to eplain it as easy as possible).

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

-------------------|------18----------- XX----------18---------|---------------------

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Lets say these 2 lines above are the edges of a table. You got a deployment zone of 12 and yor opponent has a deployment zone of 12. (marked as red.) Now imagene your facing a nid army or alaitoc mainly infiltrating. Then you can use your 57 point squad to seriously ruine his plans. If you go first try to deploy them as central as possible on the table were they are in cover and that there is alot of cover within 18 (So they cant infiltrate there) (marked as X.) This means your opponent has to deploy them 18'' from your rangers that often means he doesnt has any cover anymore and sometimes he even needs to deploy them in his own deployment zone. (On smaller tables I have placed them center so the whole nid gene army could infiltrate in his own deploy ment zones same count for other armies.) The key to deploying them well is not to pay attention were they can shoot at the following turns but to take as much cover away as possible for your opponent placing him in a sitiation thats . . . unpleasant for him. Some players may disagree about anti infiltrating like this but it works fine for me the only problem is that the opponent needs to go infiltrating after you but in 50% of the cases this will be the case. Those 57 points can save your skin more then you think! Hope this will help you and others.

#10 ·
i would definately have to say yes. i play beil tan, if you get the right aspect combinations you will be able to take most armies. i've got scorpions against horde armies, a wraithlord that can take most things. banshees and reapers that can take out power armour. my seer and warlocks are a good character killer (mind war) make a good fire magnet (fortune+spiritstones) and are ace in cc. falcons are some of the best tanks in the game and i've got fire dragons for terminator killing, marine killing and tank hunting ^_^ . i think i would be able to take most armies on (except necrons with a monolith, they're evil!)

#11 ·
Yes any properly balanced list has a decent chace of winning versus a random opponent. By a properly balanced list you have a decent chance at taking on anything. try taking a decent sumber of choices from each category in the codex (resilient, fast, firepower) something like that. :)

#13 ·
I would go for the few rounded units avalible. Wrathlords, a fair few guardians, well that is all i can think of :eek: .

Can't go wrong with a farseer with fortune charging up the feild with a large squad of guardians and conceal. this will take a hell of a lot of firepower to stop, espically with the farseer's high leadership.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.