Craftworld Iyanden. - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Heyas. I just recently have bought me a small force, around 1000ish points worth, of Eldar and I'm planning to go for the Iyanden Craftworld. Any of you more experienced Iyanden players that can give me some advice? Are there any really important do and don'ts to know about?

I have my first list here, if you wanna check it out.
    http://www.librarium-online.com/inde...howtopic=25879

Craftworld Iyanden | <a href='http://hem.bredband.net/goines/' target='_blank'>Gallery</a>

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    170 (x5)

Iyanden is a tough craftworld to play. They require the finesse of any other Eldar list, but have nowhere near the flexibility.

Do: Buy Wraithguard, lots of them. Buy yellow paint, lots of it. Accept that you will be outnumbered, even when facing an all Grey Knight army.
    Don&#39;t: Think your Wraithlords will win every battle for you. The Wraithguard are the real teeth of this list.

A lot of people are enticed by the prospect of taking Wraithlords as troops, but stop once they realize that any Eldar list can have three Wraithlords, and the Iyanden can field no more than three anyway and they come with a very high cost.

Wraithguard hit like trucks in shooting and melee, but at very short range, so either buy wave serpents (points expensive) or beef up your units and pray the warlock&#39;s conceal works. Five Wraithguard slogging towards the enemy will not last long under any sustained barrage.

In a thousand points, you can field three wraithlords if you want but you&#39;ll have a list easily beaten with snipers or lascannons. Fielding two is more reasonable, combined with two big squads of wraithguard, some Rangers and then a squad of aspects, preferably Dark Reapers, for their range.

A thousand points isn&#39;t ideal for the Iyanden. They don&#39;t start to really shine until at least 1600 because that&#39;s when you can start to back up your wraith units with aspects and you can afford to field multiple wave serpents.

Also, have fun. Because you&#39;ve got so few units, you can take your time and paint them very nicely and not be intimidated by huge, unpainted masses staring back at you.

WHFB: Dwarfs || WH40k: Imperial Fists, Necrons || WM/H: Trollbloods || BFG: Necrons

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Get wraithguard, get waveserpents, get warlocks, get as many wraithlords as you have squads of wraitguard, and yes get dark reapers for range.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks for the starters. (Y) I won&#39;t rely on the use of too many Wraithlords since people tend to kill em fast, or at least I always did. One or at the most two in a 1k battle, two or perhaps three in a 1700.

I now own this which, to my unexperienced eye, seems like a good start:
    1 Farseer.
    3 Warlocks.
    3 Wraithlords.
    10 Wraithguards.
    3 Warwalkers.
    1 Vyper Jetbike.
    1 Falcon.
    20 Guardians.
    6 Howling Banshees and 1 Exarch.
    5 Rangers.

I&#39;ll get another 5 Wraithguards when I can find someone who has second hand ones. A tad too expencive to buy in the blister. :wacko:
    Craftworld Iyanden | <a href='http://hem.bredband.net/goines/' target='_blank'>Gallery</a>

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i think wraithlords are very useful. i definately don&#39;t rely on mine to win battles though. my wraithlord is the first thing i deploy and it usually stays in the open. everyone has heard horror stories about wraithlords so they always pour a lot of fire into mine. most of the time it survives quite well too.
    i would definately suggest some warlocks to guard your farseer though. now that i&#39;ve started using them and mind war, people are hating them more than my wraithlord. I use them as a firemagnet and heavy assault squad (they are always fortuned)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

170 (x5)

The best part of the Iyanden wraithlords is their ability to soak fire. When I deploy 2, I equip them identically and have them march up my flanks. The enemy is often intimidated enough by this to try and take them both out at the same time and ends up breaking up his firebase. All the while, the Wraithguard march towards him. Know this: &#39;enhanced&#39; Wraithguard are evil in melee. If a Farseer additionally casts fortune on them, even something as small as a five-soul squad can hold a flank virtually indefinitely...until someone whips out the powerfist.

As much as I love Defender Guardians, I can&#39;t see much of a place for them within the Iyanden List. You&#39;re always going to be tight for points because of your expensive troop slots. Those troops shoot harder and hit harder than any Guardian and even the platform the Guardian squad can take is un-necessary because of all the other anti-armor capability. You&#39;d be better off with a filled-out Vyper squad, War-Walker Squad or Support Batteries.
    ...Unless you&#39;re not facing Marines or Necrons, in which case the Defender Guardian can be downright mean.

WHFB: Dwarfs || WH40k: Imperial Fists, Necrons || WM/H: Trollbloods || BFG: Necrons

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My main reasons for using Wraithlords is, as you guys posted above, to soak fire. My opponents HATE these babies and will make hell of an effort just to pop them. One thing I learnt as a &#39;Nid player is that when you shoot the big guys, the small guys reach the enemy line. Small guys in this case being the T5 Wraithguards. :ph34r:

How about the Heavy Support slots? What to place in those? As of now I have a squad of three Warwalkers but they blow up if you sneeze in their general direction. A Falcon perhaps? Dark Reapers are very nice models, good at killing those pesky 3+ armies but whoa, 35+ points a piece?&#33; Now that you can&#39;t screen them any more I can&#39;t really see if I&#39;m to get a 5 strong squad anytime soon. What&#39;s the best option for Heavy Support?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by Goines@Dec 7 2004, 02:51
    Thanks for the starters. (Y) I won&#39;t rely on the use of too many Wraithlords since people tend to kill em fast, or at least I always did. One or at the most two in a 1k battle, two or perhaps three in a 1700.

I now own this which, to my unexperienced eye, seems like a good start:
    1 Farseer.
    3 Warlocks.
    3 Wraithlords.
    10 Wraithguards.
    3 Warwalkers.
    1 Vyper Jetbike.
    1 Falcon.
    20 Guardians.
    6 Howling Banshees and 1 Exarch.
    5 Rangers.

I&#39;ll get another 5 Wraithguards when I can find someone who has second hand ones. A tad too expencive to buy in the blister. :wacko:
    [snapback]267761[/snapback]
    As you can not take more Wraithlords than Wraithguard units, and as you will get 5 more Wraithguard blisters later, I suggest you to start with:

5x Wraithguard
    5x Wraithguard
    1x Wraithlord
    1x Wraithlord

Warlocks will help Wraithguard units avoid Wraithsight penalties. So you only need:

2x Warlocks

At least one Wraithguard unit should travel in a Wave Serpent, with a Witchblade-equipped Warlock (with Enhance). That makes a fast HtH unit.

1x Falcon (Wave Serpent)

I would maxx out the Banshees as they will unlock your Wraithguard and lords from lenghty close combats. A Wave Serpent would also be nice for the girls.

9x Howling Banshees
    1x Howling Banshee Exarch
    1x Falcon (Wave Serpent)

As Defender Guardians are Heavies, I suggest you to opt for a box of Dire Avengers, wich are Elites. With a nice HtH Exarch and Asurmen as your second HQ, this happy bunch will perform very well on the battlefield.

As you get the cash to add to your army, get a combo like this:

5x Wraithguard
    1x Warlock
    1x Wraithlord

Rinse. Repeat.
    "Rolling sixes with a Wraithcannon. Priceless."
    - Craftworld Eldar Iyanden, 2000pts
    - Space Marines Dark Angels, 2000pts
    - Dark Eldar, 2000pts
    - Chaos Death Guard, 2000pts

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

170 (x5)

Try not to think about how much the wraithguard cost...it can get depressing. Instead focus on how much money you save by being able to carry your entire army in one foam tray&#33;

Broono, I had never even considered Dire Avengers in the Iyanden list, but it is definitely intriguing, I shall have to try it sooner than later.

One thing to consider would be Iyanden&#39;s special character, Iyanna Arienal. She&#39;s a two-wound Spiritseer with Enhance and Destructor, her save is a leadership check and she packs an 18" range singing spear. If you put her and a five-soul squad of Wraithguard in a Wave Serpent, you have a fearsome unit. Points-wise she&#39;s well worth it. (She&#39;s in Codexldar) I have had the Serpent-Guard-Iyanna combination hit the flanks of an Iron Warriors army so hard, they ploughed right through it and into the heart of the enemy firebase.

Unfortunately, there are no models for her. You will have to bitz-bash something together. I used a classic-version Brettonian Damsel.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Another question. :blush:

Are the Howling Banshees really worth their points in a Wave Serpent? Is seems like the new transport rules basically kills them right away.
    Move, disembark, stand around and look stupid for one enemy round ie. getting shot to shreds, charge. :hmm:

What about getting 5 Fire Dragons and an Exarch with Firepike, mounted in a Falcon instead? At least these guys can shoot something just when they disembarked.

//The dude with the endless stream of questions. :ph34r:

Oh, and thanks for the advice. I hope I get this army together anytime soon.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast